Please help with appeal for secondary school

hello

I have found out today along with many others, my son has not got into his first, second or third choice of schools and has been randomly placed in a school in special measures.

Please could you give me some advice if you have appealed successfully in the 'other' category. His first choice was King Ecgberts.

TIA

Binstaff

x

oh no is it that time when we find out? my letter hasnt come yet for my son... I hear home teaching is getting more of a thumbs up these days than it once did.

Hi..I went thru this when my middle son was at school..we didnt want him to go to the local school...so we turned that down and asked for the school of our choice...it came back turned down..so we appealed..turned down..appealed again..turned down..third time we had to go and sit in front of a board at the town hall..education officers..teachers..solicitors etc etc there and us...and i fought and fought with them...told them i wouldnt put a dog at the local school and that they would have to fine me first cos he aint going to that school...they sent us out of the room whilst they discussed it...and when we returned they had gone in my favour...my son got the place we wanted..but this is a good few years back now..hes 25 now...but in the end it didnt turn out good..cos the school always held it against our son that they were forced to take him...and so for the time he was at secondary school...it was a constant battle for him...as for doing it again if i could....to be honest.. i dont know if i would....our son was really unhappy there bless him...

Hi, same thing happened to me! Are you in the catchment area, feeder school or anything? We were allocated our local (awful) school but as we are moving this month anyway, applied for King Edwards, which was not our catchment at the time of application - we were, however, rejected. (Yep, that's the best way of expressing it).

I don't know if I have got sufficient knowhow to make a successful appeal - there are parents who pay lawyers etc. Anyone any experience of appeals?

If anyone needs any info on appeal process just let me know, we went through it last year.

hello

I have found out today along with many others, my son has not got into his first, second or third choice of schools and has been randomly placed in a school in special measures.

Please could you give me some advice if you have appealed successfully in the 'other' category. His first choice was King Ecgberts.

TIA

Binstaff

x

we did the appeal process last year too but for all saints school.(we failed in our appeal because we didn't put that we wanted a christian education for our son even though he already attended a catholic feeder school!):huh:

just to make you aware you can put appeals in for your 1st 2nd and 3rd choices you aren't just limited to one appeal.

we was lucky with our daughter she was badly let down in her last school and let bullying carry on for 3 years. i wanted her away from the children in her class at the time but the 2 schools in the area these kids was going to both so i wanted a fresh start for her so she could get a proper education she deserved that. and we won the appeal but did not get to find out for a cpl of weeks suppose it depends on how many are appealing.

We had our appeal hearing at town hall on a tuesday and our letter arrived on the following saturday, so we only had to wait for 4 days for results.

I feel for those who are made to go to Sheffield Park Accadamy,not just because of the riots its a CRAP School a bullys haven....

Yeah, Park Academy is bad, from people i know they said its now worse with bullying then what it was when it was waltheof!

Good Luck BinStaff!

X

I appealed a year and a half ago and was successful. I did my homework and my dad helped me write the appeal statement. My advice is, don't go into it blind. Take advice and follow the appeal process properly. Base your appeal on material facts. Basically you have to prove to the appeal panel that it will harm your child more, not to go to the school, than it will harm the school and other children, to take on an extra pupil. I bought a manual from a firm who represents people in school appeals. I think I still have it if you want it. PM me if you do and I'll find it out.

I appealed a year and a half ago and was successful. I did my homework and my dad helped me write the appeal statement. My advice is, don't go into it blind. Take advice and follow the appeal process properly. Base your appeal on material facts. Basically you have to prove to the appeal panel that it will harm your child more, not to go to the school, than it will harm the school and other children, to take on an extra pupil. I bought a manual from a firm who represents people in school appeals. I think I still have it if you want it. PM me if you do and I'll find it out.

Yes, I agree with everything you have said, being prepared is essential, after all you have no idea what questions the appeal panel will ask you, whatever you do, don't run down the school you have been given too much, just state why you feel it is not suitable for your child, then say why you feel strongly that the school of your choice is the right one for your child, try to give as many reasons as you can. Also be prepared to be asked "What will you do if your appeal is not successful?

It may also be useful to take a copy of both the schools ofsted reports in case you need to refer to any information on them, this way it lets them see you have done your homework.

Good luck to everyone going through this process, I know how you feel we were in same position this time last year.