Please help with appeal for secondary school

Someone has waved a magic wand for my lads, they got turned down other week (wev changed areas) and was about to start the appeal process as their current school is to far away, then they suddenly rang other day to say they are in and start monday!! They are leaving their old school in 40 mins yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Good luck x

Im scared:huh:

JoanCrawford - I have sent you a PM

Life was so much easier in the days when our children went to the school nearest to their home. Most parents never thought of applying for schools in different parts of the town/city where they lived before everyone had so much 'choice'. It meant there were usually a few who walked or bussed to school together.

Contemplating having to send a child to the other side of Sheffield must be really difficult for working parents. Every year we get lots of posts about this, there must be many disappointed families.

Right but our catchement school when we applied was sheffield park academy. We have since moved and our catchement school is now notre dame and tapton.

I appreciate the schools are over subscribed but what happens to the little ones within the area who can't get in to any of the schools? Surely she can't be expected to travel across the city on her own to a school that is the worst in sheffield?

If it's expected then I will home school her.

If you are in the catchment for these schools you will find yourself near the top of the waiting list, if not the top. Theres alot of movement with allocations at this time and you might find yourself with a place as someone else takes one elsewhere. Still you can, and should, appeal explaining the situation

We were turned down for Birley community college when we first

moved here and we live across the rd from it. We got in touch with

a local councillor who helped us.

I have an appeal panel next Weds and would appreciate any help or advice. Notre Dame have refused a place for my daughter, even though they are only over subscribed by 2 in her year (Y8). I took her out of her old school due to bullying and applied to Notre Dame, where her older sister goes. My daughter is a Catholic and also the school buses run from our house to the school. I don't really want to send her to the schools that have vacancies in Y8, I did apply to King Ecgbert, High Storrs and Silverdale (our catchment schools) while waiting for the appeal but they have all refused us a place on the grounds they are full. What can I possibly say at the appeal that will get them to reverse their decision and offer us a place? Daughter has not been in school since early October now, would she be more of a priority now she has been out of school education for a term?

Could you get your Priest to help you with the appeal?

I feel for those who are made to go to Sheffield Park Accadamy,not just because of the riots its a CRAP School a bullys haven....
my little girl has not got in at the school she wanted got letter tue they have put her here i have just got the appeal letter this morning after phoning them i just put every reason y she should be going to the school she wants and sent it off crossing fingers there is no way on earth she is going to park accadamy they will have to fine me i want my girl to do well in school not turn in to a smack head they will eat her alive there good luck to all of you that are appealing

@Happy Days I know what you mean... they have education and welfare officers that visit and send you letters threatening fines, but I think they are more interested in getting their quotas for their schools and definitely not in the actual welfare of the child. I really do think I know what is best for my child and like you I am not prepared to compromise. If she goes somewhere that has a low attendance rate, regular trouble and low grades what hope has she got. I don't want to come over as snobby I am just after the best for my kid.

@Happy Days I know what you mean... they have education and welfare officers that visit and send you letters threatening fines, but I think they are more interested in getting their quotas for their schools and definitely not in the actual welfare of the child. I really do think I know what is best for my child and like you I am not prepared to compromise. If she goes somewhere that has a low attendance rate, regular trouble and low grades what hope has she got. I don't want to come over as snobby I am just after the best for my kid.

I think thats a bit unfair. I worked for a while beside some Educational Welfare Officers, and although some of the families must have been difficult to deal with, the EWOs tried very hard to ensure the children got to school, and got the education they were entitled to. One often used to transport two children who had a disabled mum if she couldn't manage to take them to school herself. I'm fairly sure that wasn't in her job description, she just cared about the kids.

My (much younger) friend lost her appeal to send her son to any of the schools she had chose, and he had to go to his nearest school in the north of the city. His mother tried hard with her appeal to get him in elsewhere, but has accepted it wasn't possible. Now, he's actually doing very well. Its where most of his friends go, because its their nearest school - and he's happy.

You're probably right and I shouldn't generalise, I was just disappointed with the one that dealt with us, insisting a bullied girl who could not face going onto the school grounds had to go back to school when it was making her ill.

You're probably right and I shouldn't generalise, I was just disappointed with the one that dealt with us, insisting a bullied girl who could not face going onto the school grounds had to go back to school when it was making her ill.

Now that is wrong, being bullied is a horrible experience and some schools do deal with it much more effectively than others. Likewise some EWOs. I hope it all got resolved and the girl was ok.