Lapatnicks and Patnicks in Sheffield from 1890

My great-grandfather, Nathan (Nochum) Lapatnick, left Lithuania in 1890 to avoid his elder son, Hyman (Khayim), being conscripted into the Russan army. Hyman was 20 years old at the time. Besides Hyman, Harry (age 15) was Nathan's only surviving child. The three Lapatnicks arrived in Sheffield soon after escaping Lithuania, and Nathan became a teacher in the Jewish community there. I must cut this story short now, but will try to continue in a few days.

Down as Patrick in 1901 census

Harry 23

Esther 22

Aaron 3

Israel 1

126-128 DUKE STREET PARK 1911

Edited by retep

lenny lap

What is it you want to know?

My great-grandfather, Nathan (Nochum) Lapatnick, left Lithuania in 1890 to avoid his elder son, Hyman (Khayim), being conscripted into the Russan army. Hyman was 20 years old at the time. Besides Hyman, Harry (age 15) was Nathan's only surviving child. The three Lapatnicks arrived in Sheffield soon after escaping Lithuania, and Nathan became a teacher in the Jewish community there. I must cut this story short now, but will try to continue in a few days.

There was an "army surplus store on Langsett Road, Walkley in the late 50's. I believe the owners became MP's for Sheffield some time later. Irvine seems to ring a bell.I found this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irvine_Patnick could be related.

There was an "army surplus store on Langsett Road, Walkley in the late 50's. I believe the owners became MP's for Sheffield some time later. Irvine seems to ring a bell.

It wasn't really an army surplus store as such - more a junk shop, at 301-303 Langsett Road. It was owned and run by Aaron Patnick (b. 29 Oct 1897, d. Jul-Sep 1979 - shown as Aaron Patrick in the 1901 census, as retep noted above). Irvine is Aaron's son and lives at Abbeydale. From about the 1920s to the 1960s the Patnicks had several such shops in Sheffield; here's a link to a Patnick thread: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=37068 See post #35 etc.

Edited by hillsbro

My great-grandfather, Nathan (Nochum) Lapatnick, left Lithuania in 1890 ... The three Lapatnicks arrived in Sheffield soon after escaping Lithuania

The 1901 census includes a Nathan Lapatnick, age 67, wife Rachel, 55, children Nathan, 18 and Minnie, 15, all living at 37 Solly Street, Sheffield.

A Google search brought up a page from the "Nationality and Naturalisation" part of the National Archives website which mentions a Hyman Michael Lapatnick, from Russia and resident in Sheffield, who was granted Certificate No 16638 on 26 February 1907.

Another Google result was a JPEG scan of the "Children's Newspaper" of 13 September 1923 which included this short piece: "Old Nathan: It is said that a Russian Jew in Sheffield, Nathan Lapatnick, is the oldest man in the country. He gets up at seven, goes to bed at six and has two meals a day". Curiously, the newspaper doesn't give his age, but according to G.R.O. records a Nathan Lapatnick died aged 110 in Sheffield in the last quarter of 1924. It is likely to be the same Nathan Lapatnick who was recorded in the 1901 census as being 67 years old. Maybe old Nathan didn't know how old he was, or or was "economical with the truth" about his real age in 1901, and/or perhaps whoever registered his death didn't know his actual age.

Edited by hillsbro

A cynic might say a 90 year old jewish man wouldn't get the headlines that a 110 year old would.

This is how Max Clifford started

The 1901 census includes a Nathan Lapatnick, age 67, wife Rachel, 55, children Nathan, 18 and Minnie, 15, all living at 37 Solly Street, Sheffield.

A Google search brought up a page from the "Nationality and Naturalisation" part of the National Archives website which mentions a Hyman Michael Lapatnick, from Russia and resident in Sheffield, who was granted Certificate No 16638 on 26 February 1907.

Another Google result was a JPEG scan of the "Children's Newspaper" of 13 September 1923 which included this short piece: "Old Nathan: It is said that a Russian Jew in Sheffield, Nathan Lapatnick, is the oldest man in the country. He gets up at seven, goes to bed at six and has two meals a day". Curiously, the newspaper doesn't give his age, but according to G.R.O. records a Nathan Lapatnick died aged 110 in Sheffield in the last quarter of 1924. It is likely to be the same Nathan Lapatnick who was recorded in the 1901 census as being 67 years old. Maybe old Nathan didn't know how old he was, or or was "economical with the truth" about his real age in 1901, and/or perhaps whoever registered his death didn't know his actual age.

Another possibility is what you're reading as 67 might be meant to be 87, which would make him 110 in 1924. Doesn't look likely with the age of his children admittedly!

So

Is it all the same family and Aaron dropped The La prefix.

We need Lennylap back on the forum to move on a bit.

I assume one of the brothers moved to the colonies, before the La was dropped.

Maybe went to find fortune in the new world.

Is it all the same family and Aaron dropped The La prefix...

That's what I was wondering. The 1911 census includes eight Lapatnicks living in Sheffield, but of those who were old enough to have been included in the 1901 census, none correlates exactly with any of the four Lapatnicks recorded then, or any of the four "Patricks" recorded in 1901. The 1911 Lapatnicks are, with their ages:

Hyman M., 41, Sarah, 41, Aaron, 15, Ada, 13, Dora, 10, Leah, 8, Minnie, 5, Abraham, 2

The name has also been mistrancribed in 1911 as Lapatrick Nathan is 81

He dint arf age quick.