Norfolk park area, good? bad?

Originally posted by Greenback

I note, t020, that you didn't attempt to challenge PT's point. The fact is that you get a lot more for your money outside these "fashionable" areas, and any young professional on an average salary would definitely be better off investing in property in a (carefully selected) up-and-coming area of the city. Ask any estate agent.

Her point was that properties in certain areas are "overpriced" - I challenged that directly.

Young professionals and students are better off opting for an area that suits their lifestyle the best, which is generally fashionable bars, pubs and restaurants. That's why areas such as Hunters Bar and Crookes are full of them, ask any estate agent.

Originally posted by t020

Young professionals and students are better off opting for an area that suits their lifestyle the best, which is generally fashionable bars, pubs and restaurants. That's why areas such as Hunters Bar and Crookes are full of them, ask any estate agent.

If an estate agent told me that Crookes was full of fashionable bars, pubs and restaurants, I'd ask said estate agent when the last time he visited Crookes was! Nice little area that it is.

Originally posted by Greenback

If an estate agent told me that Crookes was full of fashionable bars, pubs and restaurants, I'd ask said estate agent when the last time he visited Crookes was! Nice little area that it is.

They'd tell you that the area was full of students and young professionals (i.e. "them" in my last post).

Lib1 has adequately argued the case for Parklands. I will now do the same for Norfolk Park.

I recently took Keith Hill MP, the government housing minister on a tour of Norfolk Park, following in the footsteps of John Prescott MP, the Deputy Prime Minister - who visited the estate earlier last year.

I took Keith around the show house, and later we visited the Extra Care Home on Guildford View. He was impressed by the massive transformation that is taking place on Norfolk Park. He is not alone. So are the residents, both old and new.

The recent history of Norfolk Park is well known, and everyone acknowledges that the estate became run down. Where folk could vote with their feet - they simply left. But what a different story Norfolk Park is today.

The high rise tower blocks, all 15 of them - have gone. I helped organise the blow-down of the last tower block only the other weekend. All but one of the rows of flats have also gone. The low rise properties have been renovated. The architectural style of the new build is stunning - especially when seen from other parts of the city. The views afforded over the city centre and the Peak District moors are fantastic. Folk are simply stampeding to buy one of these properties, and prices continue to rise.

The Queens Tower, a listed building, has just been renovated and extended. There are 101 properties, all for rent, at approx £500 p.c.m. Work will soon begin on building the first green eco-homes outside of London by the Environmental Trust. They will offer local people the opportunity to remain on the estate, and will have low-cost heating. Work is also commencing on the former Beeches site, and the former Kenninghall site will soon be developed. A mini-masterplan is being developed for a new heart of the estate, which may include community premises, health centre, dentist and shops.

There is also the new Norfolk community primary school, the new Beacon church, the new Extra Care Home, and the new Centre in the Park - with adjacent new playground. Don't forget the excellent tram and bus links to the city centre, and last, but not least, the wonderful, Grade II listed Norfolk Heritage Park.

But don't let all this new build and new social development alter t020's fixed viewpoint that Norfolk Park is a "notoriously bad area". Living so faraway from Norfolk Park, as t020 does, appears to give him an advantage of being able, in his own words, to "tell it as it is". But what do I know compared to t020? After all, I only live nearby, and represent Norfolk Park on the city council - so it's not that I could be as familiar with the area as t020 seems to be.

They'd tell you that the area was full of students and young professionals (i.e. "them" in my last post).

Er, yeah - good point well made :(

Originally posted by redrobbo

But don't let all this new build and new social development alter t020's fixed viewpoint that Norfolk Park is a "notoriously bad area". Living so faraway from Norfolk Park, as t020 does, appears to give him an advantage of being able, in his own words, to "tell it as it is". But what do I know compared to t020? After all, I only live nearby, and represent Norfolk Park on the city council - so it's not that I could be as familiar with the area as t020 seems to be.

Was I claiming to know everything there is to know about it? No. I suggested alternatives which *I believe* are more suited to the needs of the original poster, or at least for him to also consider.

No thread has ever got me annoyed as this one. I've had enough - I offered my opinion and some alternative options, that's all. In future I really won't bother.

I wish Andy83 all the best with wherever he chooses to live.

Was I claiming to know everything there is to know about it?

No.

My concern is that you claimed things about Norfolk Park which are pertinently not true. You continued to give the area a bad name which residents and myself (as a ward councillor) do not believe it deserves.

No thread has ever got me annoyed as this one. I've had enough - I offered my opinion and some alternative options, that's all. In future I really won't bother.

[/b]

You offered your opinion alright - so why are you so annoyed? Is it because Lib1, Plain Talker, Greenback, E-Man Groovin, vidster, Andy, youwhatref, BertieBasset and myself all contradicted your opinion? Are you annoyed with yourself for discovering that despite claiming to "tell it as it is", you didn't in fact do that at all? If so, you only had to apologise or withdraw your opinions t020. Anyone is entitled to get their facts wrong. We all make mistakes. No need to beat yourself up about it.

I wish Andy83 all the best with wherever he chooses to live. [/b]

And so do I. If you do choose Norfolk Park Andy83 - PM me, and I'll gladly show you around!

Was I claiming to know everything there is to know about it? No. I suggested alternatives which *I believe* are more suited to the needs of the original poster, or at least for him to also consider.

I wish Andy83 all the best with wherever he chooses to live.

no, t020, you weren't suggesting alternatives. you were using the thread to propogate, and perpetuate the myths that surround areas like NP and Manor.

you were giving someone new to the area misinformation, and insinuating that np etc are "unsuitable areas". (and that they couldn't *possibly* want to live in areas *like that*)

I was challenging your misinformation, as someone who has had experience of having lived in both areas, and who found them both to be perfectly fine, even if she *did* live in social housing on said areas.

what you were doing was to decry the areas, using old, outdated "factiods" and statistics, instead of having a balnce,and saying that, yes, there are pockets, as in any area, yours included, where things aren't as good as they could be... but, hey, look at the changes being made, look at how the area is regenerating.

people deserve to be able to take pride in the area where they live. I do, and I did. i awas involved in the TRA where i lioved previously, and I am on the committee of the TRA here, where I live now.

I am one of those people, like redrobbo et al, who are grafting our *****s off, working damn bloody hard, to make a difference in our communites. I take pride in what I do, trying to "build up", where nay-sayers like you and your ilk have "torn down".

Currently we are looking at multi million pound schemes in this district to improve the area. Making decisions that will better the lives of the residents of Sheffield.

people in NP are taking a pride in their community, and taking responsibility for change, and progress.

it's time that you "sat down, and shut up, and got off the bus", or, better still, roll your rich-kid sleeves up, and joined in the work that is being done in these areas. it's high time that residents were empowered and given the chance to be proud of the achievements made in this city.

PT

As someone who has bought a new build on the Norfolk Park development and will move in a few weeks, i've followed this thread with interest. I work at Hunters 'Bra' and was brought up a stone's throw away from Parklands. I fully support Redrobbo's views on the positive regeneration of Norfolk Park and Lib1's equally positive opinions about Parklands but think the E-Man Groovin says it best :clap:

Originally posted by E-Man Groovin

t020,

Excuse my brusqness but it pains me to see an otherwise intelligent person talking out of their arse.

P

t020-

Unfortunately I was unable to find the plans online, but when it is finished, the Parklands development will be absolutely massive! If I remember correctly, over 2000 new homes being built in total. I've also heard that the Norfolk Park development is due to be greatly expanded.

As both of these developments are mostly made up of young professionals- why do you not think that bars, restauarants etc will also soon be created nearby in order to cater to the needs of these people?

Just take a look at West St- when I moved to Shef as a student 8 years ago- the place was dead (Ok- there were a few restauarants and bars dotted around, but it was NOTHING like it is now!). Since the arrival of the apartments, the place has flourished to cater to the needs of the new residents. I'm not trying to suggest that Norfolk Park or the Parklands will soon rival West One etc apartments in the 'trendy' stakes- I'm just saying that the amenities that you keep citing for young professionals will soon be available in these new urban regeneration areas.

On the topic of student areas and amenities- is City Rd not a popular location for student houses? As City Rd is a stone's throw away from Parklands, then surely the amenities that exist for City Rd students will also exist for students on Parklands. On a similar track, those at the Queen Tower development and the Norfolk Park development can easily walk to the town centre for their amenities.

Lib1

Norfolk Park, Parklands, Manor; they're all fantastic. Hunters Bar, Crookes, Broomhill; totally unsuitable for students/young professionals. The end.

Norfolk Park, Parklands, Manor; they're all fantastic. Hunters Bar, Crookes, Broomhill; totally unsuitable for students/young professionals. The end.

Oh the sarcasm - ;):)

Alex