Norfolk park area, good? bad?

Originally posted by Lib1

"I'm completely unbiased and have no agenda in this thread. I'm simply offering an honest and impartial opinion"

Erm... how can you offer an unbiased, honest and impartial opinion on a place that you've never even been to?

How would you know where I have and haven't been to?

As I stated before, the postcodes of the Parklands development probably weren't accounted for on the crime stats that you repeatedly cite. Therefore- even the second-hand 'evidence' that you use to support your argument is biased and dishonest.

The crime stats I posted above weren't in reply to your post anyway, but besides it's done by council wards not postcodes. Also, higher crime is not the sole reason against the area you love so much. As I have said previously, the amenities on offer in areas such as Hunters Bar, Crookes and Broomhill are much more likely to suit a young student and professional couple.

You have a negative opinion of an area that you have had little experience of. This is fine- everyone is entitled to their own view. But, when you use your prejudice in order to disuade others from inhabiting these areas, then call it an 'agenda' if you wish, but having a direct personal experience with the areas that you so easily disregard, I will speak up about it.

No, I have no agenda, I just wanted to offer my honest opinion to the original poster. In future I don't think I'll bother - I'll sit back and watch them be brainwashed by a torrent of biased opinions instead.

Admittedly, I did go off point and onto house prices in my previous message, but rental prices are still much higher in the places that you cited- so my argument still stands. Recent graduates either looking to rent or buy at the moment are faced with ridiculously high price options at the moment. Urban regeneration developments like Parklands and the Norfolk Park development are a Godsend!

Lib1

Again, the original poster didn't state a budget so it is fair to offer alternatives regardless of rental pricing.

Why is my opinion biased?

Yes, I've bought property on the Parklands, but I've also stated previously that car theft and buglary rates are high on the nearby council estate.

I've never said that the Parklands is fantastic and problem free... all that I've ever said about the place is that it is more affordable than the new-builds in town and even the other urban regeration projects in Norfolk Park and Firth Park (and they are also a lot 'prettier'!).

Why is this biased? Why is my stating these facts an 'agenda'?

Is what I am saying so terrible? If everyone reading this were to listen to me and take up immediate residence on the development- would that be such a bad thing? Is wanting to see a deprived area thrive a crime?

No... I didn't think so.

As to amenities in Crookes and Brromhill- during my time in these areas as a student, we usually took the bus (or the long-long downhill, then back uphill again walk) into town in order to have a nightlife (unless a night out at the Old Grindstone or 'The Notty' does it for you!). The bus ride from Crookes to town is approx 10-15mins. But, guess what- the tram ride from Parklands to town takes about the same amount of time.

Yes, there are restaurants in Crookes, Broomhill and Hunter's Bar- but there are also restaurants on City Rd (v. close to Parklands).

As far as local conveniences go, the tiny Co-op at the top of Crookes Road is abysmal. The Somerfields in Broomhall was a bit better, but it was always totally packed out with students. The same goes for the Tescos on Eccy Road. The Parklands development is a 5 min walk away from a Somerfields, a Netto and a Spar (great for when you've been out and need more alcohol for the journey home!)

As far as public transport from your 'desirable' areas goes... it doesn't! When I lived in Crookes, I missed the start of almost every 9am lecture due to the buses being stuck in traffic, it also took AGES to get home from 4-6pm. At the rush hours- it could take up to 40mins to get to the Uni (the normal bus journey was about 10-15mins). I haven't lived in Hunter's Bar before, but I'm guessing the same is probably true for this area. Living on the Parklands gives you the option to travel by bus (crap!) or the virtually traffic-free supertram (yey!). The distance into the city centre by tram is about 15min (about the same as a bus ride into town from Crookes, Broomhall and Hunter's Bar).

...Need I go on?

Lib1

your stats are 3 years out of date.

Car crime in respect of breaking into peoples houses to steal high priced cars off their drives round S10, S11, and S17 has rocketed in the last couple of years in S10, S11 & S17...Six weeks ago in Ecclesall and Millhouses there were 10 attempts to steal high value cars off drives in a week and that was a stat from the police themselves when a friend had their house broken into......catch up!

Originally posted by t020

Well, the facts say otherwise. Incidences of theft from a vehicle and theft of a vehicle are actually lower in the "leafier" wards of S10, S11, S17.

Crime and Community Safety

............................................................................................Ecclesall.... Hallam .... Dore..........Sheffield Average

Burglary from a dwelling (Rate per 1,000 households)............ 19.4....... 18.3....... 16.8............ 29.4

Robbery offences (Rate per 1,000 population)......................... 1.0...........1.1........ 0.6.............. 2.6

Violence against the person (Rate per 1,000 population)......... 0.7......... 0.7......... 2.3.............. 6.0

Theft from a motor vehicle (Rate per 1,000 population)........... 13.0........ 10.1....... 12.7.......... 18.5

Theft of a motor vehicle (Rate per 1,000 population)............... 2.6........... 2.2........ 2.3.............. 6.9

Source: Sheffield City Council Community Safety Team 2002.

Originally posted by BertieBasset

your stats are 3 years out of date.

Car crime in respect of breaking into peoples houses to steal high priced cars off their drives round S10, S11, and S17 has rocketed in the last couple of years in S10, S11 & S17...Six weeks ago in Ecclesall and Millhouses there were 10 attempts to steal high value cars off drives in a week and that was a stat from the police themselves when a friend had their house broken into......catch up!

Show me the new figures then, by all means. I think you'll find they'll still be well below the city average. They're the most recent stats I can obtain from the council's website, but your word against official figures is obviously much more reliable.

Lib1 - I really can't be bothered to carry on with this anymore, it's pointless. You're obviously prepared to type a long response to try to justify why Parklands is so great, I could do the same about the areas I recommended but I don't see the point in wasting my time as I don't feel as strongly about them as you clearly do with your beloved Parklands development. At the end of the day it's up to Andy83, all I've done is *TRIED* to offer my own personal opinion. Again, in future I won't bother because it really is NOT worth all this hassle.

Andy83 - Parklands is wonderful, having one of the country's most notorious sink estates within hundreds of yards is great, it's perfect, I can't recommend it highly enough, bla bla bla bla bla.

Ah t020,

We've been debating far too long for you to just cop out like that...

Provide me with your examples of affordable areas in Sheffield (£450 or less per month for a two-bed new-build apartment) with a good reputation, low crime rates, excellent facilities and brilliant transport links into the town centre.

I'm genuinely interested to see what you can come up with.

Lib1

Ah t020,

We've been debating far too long for you to just cop out like that...

Provide me with your examples of affordable areas in Sheffield (less £450 or less per month for a two-bed new-build apartment) with a good reputation, low crime rates, excellent facilities and brilliant transport links into the town centre.

I'm genuinely interested to see what you can come up with.

Lib1

Since when did a budget enter the scenario? There's no mention of a budget by Andy83 so until he gives an idea of his budget then there is no evidence that he needs somewhere that's so low priced.

However, if he is working to a budget I'd suggest areas like Walkley (which is next to Crookes and also popular amongst students and near to Sheffield Uni). You could rent a 3 bed terraced house there for around the £450 mark, it has a fairly good reputation, lowish crime, good facilities and transport links and popular amongst students.

I think you'd have to pay a little more than £450 to get a decent place in Walkley.

If you're on a budget your money goes much further in less 'fashionable' (which is often shorthand for 'snob value') areas.

t020,

On this occasion either STFU or admit you don't know what you're talking about. Norfolk Park has undergone a rather impressive regeneration over the past couple of years.

UpMyStreet is always woefully out of date. My postcode doesn't even register on it even though my property has been in existence for 9 months or so.

In the past Norfolk Park was filled with council tenants living in high-rise blocks. These have now all been demolished and the majority of the properties are either owner occupier or have been bought-to-let. These figues again are not reflected in the out of date UpMyStreet.

But it doesn't matter if people like you can't adapt to changing times it will just mean that there will be bargains to be had for homebuyers, until suddenly people realise how lovely these parts have actually become.

You want more details on what's been going on in Norfolk Park recently? See here. Excuse my brusqness but it pains me to see an otherwise intelligent person talking out of their arse.

P

Originally posted by E-Man Groovin

t020,

On this occasion either STFU or admit you don't know what you're talking about. Norfolk Park has undergone a rather impressive regeneration over the past couple of years.

I'm not disputing that, I'm merely offering my own personal opinion of what I regard more suitable to meet the OP's needs.

UpMyStreet is always woefully out of date. My postcode doesn't even register on it even though my property has been in existence for 9 months or so.

What's UpMyStreet got to do with ANYTHING? I never referred to it, I've not suggested that anyone refers to it, this is purely a figment of your imagination.

In the past Norfolk Park was filled with council tenants living in high-rise blocks. These have now all been demolished and the majority of the properties are either owner occupier or have been bought-to-let. These figues again are not reflected in the out of date UpMyStreet.

Again, what relevance has UpMyStreet got? I know the nasty tower blocks are no more, but there's still the Manor 700 yards up the road (and even closer to the Parklands development that Lib1 loves so much).

But it doesn't matter if people like you can't adapt to changing times it will just mean that there will be bargains to be had for homebuyers, until suddenly people realise how lovely these parts have actually become.

Well, time will tell, but I know where I'll be putting my money.

You want more details on what's been going on in Norfolk Park recently? See here. Excuse my brusqness but it pains me to see an otherwise intelligent person talking out of their arse.

No I don't want more details on what's been going on in Norfolk Park recently. It still won't change the fact that the Manor is a stone's throw away and that the more typical young professional and student areas such as Crookes, Hunters Bar and Broomhill will cater to Andy83 and his partner's needs much more, IMO.

t020

the new build on norfolk park is a darn sight more than 700 yards from the parklands development.

which also goes to show how little you really know about NP and Manor.

I'd rather rent/ buy economically, in those districts, than pay the grossly overpriced costs, of living in properties in the so-called "better" districts. (eg the "cram em in anywhere" student properties at a sixty quid rip-off per room/[person, in a house worth about £75 a week in rent, maximum)

I can quote an example of a 2-bed, ex council place, some time ago,(about 5 years ago) having an asking price of 92K just cos it's in crookes. pathetic, and rip off, when that particular property was in reality only worth a maximum of 50K. the price inflated unrealistically because of its location. (and of course, the pound signs, clicking up like a one-armed bandit in the vendor's greedy, moneygrubbing little eyes)

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

t020

the new build on norfolk park is a darn sight more than 700 yards from the parklands development.

which also goes to show how little you really know about NP and Manor.

Not according to Multimap, as shown earlier.

Originally posted by Plain Talker

I'd rather rent/ buy economically, in those districts, than pay the grossly overpriced costs, of living in properties in the so-called "better" districts. (eg the "cram em in anywhere" student properties at a sixty quid rip-off per room/[person, in a house worth about £75 a week in rent, maximum)

I can quote an example of a 2-bed, ex council place, some time ago,(about 5 years ago) having an asking price of 92K just cos it's in crookes. pathetic, and rip off, when that particular property was in reality only worth a maximum of 50K. the price inflated unrealistically because of its location. (and of course, the pound signs, clicking up like a one-armed bandit in the vendor's greedy, moneygrubbing little eyes)

PT

No, properties are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. There's no so thing as an "overpriced" property.

I note, t020, that you didn't attempt to challenge PT's point. The fact is that you get a lot more for your money outside these "fashionable" areas, and any young professional on an average salary would definitely be better off investing in property in a (carefully selected) up-and-coming area of the city. Ask any estate agent.