Norfolk park area, good? bad?

I'm planning on moving to Sheffield very soon, just looking for a place to rent. Want it to be easy access to Sheffield Uni for my gf but as i'll be working i'm not too bothered on location.

Seen some nice properties around Norfolk park area, on City Road (parklands) and also on queen mary road. But i know nothing about Sheffield except what i hear in the news which is rape and murder.

So is this a good area to live, with decent bus connections?

Hello Andy83 :)

Norfolk park has the better transport system and there are quite a few apartments still available.

The links below might help ;)

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16745&highlight=whats+so+special+about+park+grange+mount

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29893&highlight=whats+so+special+about+park+grange+mount

Dear Andy83-

Details about flats/houses that are available for rent on the Parklands development (nr City Road and Queen Mary Road) can be seen via the Martin and co estate agents website:

http://www.martinco.com/search/properties/?division=2&office_id=&place=sheffield&state=-1&area=boundary.421720%2C399753%2C444779%2C379038.composite_place&zone=4800&order=price.asc&minprice=-1&maxprice=-1&proptype=-1&beds=-1&furnish_state=-1&rent_frequency=-1&moving_date_day=2&moving_date_month=8&moving_date_year=2005

I've bought an apartment on the Parklands development and although I wont be moving in until the end of May, I've visited the site on a regular basis for a year now. Despite the reputation of the council estate which is further down Prince of Wales road, I've found the Parklands development to be very quiet and have felt very safe when wandering about the place. As the houses and apartments there are basically the cheapest new build homes that you'll find in Shef, if you're thinking of moving there... go for it! Places like Crookes and Broomhill may have a better rep, but they're really expensive areas to live in.

As to transport links- From the development, it is about a 5-10 min walk to the nearest tram stops (blue or purple route at Manor Top/ Elm Tree and Spring Lane). The ride into the centre of town takes 10-15mins. There are also lots of buses about that will take you into the town centre (52, 95 etc)

Lib1

From an unbiased (I have no houses there to rent out) point of view, I'd advise you not to live around the Norfolk Park/ Manor area as it's notoriously bad. If you're looking for a good place to live for students/young professionals like yourself, I'd suggest Hunters Bar, Crookes or Broomhill.

Originally posted by t020

I'd advise you not to live around the Norfolk Park/ Manor area as it's notoriously bad.

Norfolk Park and Manor are two different areas. I can't comment on Manor because I've never lived there, but Norfolk Park isn't notoriously bad. What are all these terrible things you've heard about?

Originally posted by Andy

Norfolk Park and Manor are two different areas. I can't comment on Manor because I've never lived there, but Norfolk Park isn't notoriously bad. What are all these terrible things you've heard about?

Crime is higher in Norfolk Park than most places. Also, City Road (Parklands) is the Manor area is it not?

I'm presuming that Andy83 enqired about Parklands in particular due to the prices of the property. New build homes in Crookes, Broomhall, and Hunters Bar are FAR more expensive.

My husband and I are both young professionals and having chatted to many residents on the Parklands development, we've found out that most of them are young professionals too. Therefore, I think it's safe to say that Parklands is a young professionals area as is the Norfolk Park development. We're just young professionals that don't have enough money/ aren't stuck up enough to pay £££ extra for a so-called 'reputable area'. As I've said before, I've lived in Crookes and the Eccy road area as a student. Burglary was very common and a couple of my friends were even mugged.

We've had this debate many times t020, but you just don't seem to take in these facts. Yes, the Manor has a bad rep, yes crime stats for the Manor area are high- but the Parklands development is fine! People living on the development have stated as much on this forum.

Lib1

Again, i'm neutral is i've never lived there, although my sister has just moved up there.

Several years ago i would have said to avoid like the plague, however millions has been spent to regenerate the area and most of the notorious flats have been demolished.

Norfolk Park is now much better. My sisters states she has had no problems apart from one or two youths which all areas has.

It's not the best or safest area and has had its problems but it's much improved and i would now live there. Great tranposrt link if your near the tram

Andy83 - Hunters Bar, Crookes and Broomhill are all areas populated with many students and young professionals and contain plenty of pubs, bars and restaurants as well as close proximity to parks and wooded areas and good bus links. Contrast that with new developments such as Parklands which offer higher rates of nearby crime and close proximity to run down council estates and the choice is clear.

lib1,

the problem with t020 is that if a district isn't "Ecclesall", it's not worth living in, and the residents are all "benefits claiming, joy-riding single teenage mums" (trademark). he even denigrates the area of s11 that I live in, because it's the "wrong side" of psalter lane... which I think speaks volumes about him,(IMO) and his opinions.

he doesn't live there, and he hasn't lived there, so any experience of his about these districts is second, or maybe even third hand...

what you need to do is to hear from the people at the grass roots on these districts, like me,for example, (An ex resident of both!) and andy, who lives on the new development.

there's a lot of positivity going on, both on manor, and on norfolk park. people are working hard to regenereate waht wwere traditionally neglected areas, which gave the residents little hope, and little self esteem ("give-a-dog-a-bad-name-and-hang-him")

now these areas are being regenerated, and finance being put into that regeneration, the hope is also being regenerated, which is a wonderful thing.

we need to talk up the positives. and have less of the negativity.

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

lib1,

the problem with t020 is that if a district isn't "Ecclesall", it's not worth living in, and the residents are all "benefits claiming, joy-riding single teenage mums" (trademark). he even denigrates the area of s11 that I live in, because it's the "wrong side" of psalter lane... which I think speaks volumes about him,(IMO) and his opinions.

Since neither Hunters Bar, Crookes OR Broomhill are in Ecclesall I find it puzzling that you should come to that conclusion. It's well known that the aforementioned areas are the most popular among students and young professionals, which is why I recommend them ahead of new developments with run down council estates just a stone's throw away. You're entitled to disagree, but the fact that you so defensively try to undermine my opinions speaks volume about you (IMO) and your opinions.

Originally posted by Plain Talker

we need to talk up the positives. and have less of the negativity.

No we don't. We need to tell it like it is and answer people truthfully and honestly rather than living in some kind of utopia where every district in Sheffield is perfect and beyond criticism.

I disagree, t020

I am not painting districts as utopias.

I just think it's ridiculous to describe all council areas as dens of thieves, and focussing on the negative, as opposed to recognising the damned hard work that residents put into doing the best they can to improve the lot of the areas like Manor, Norfolk Park, Parson Cross etc...

Not everyone is priveliged to have the money to own their own homes. (or have parents that own) I personally am more than happy to rent my place from a housing association.

But that doesn't make my area bad, because there are a lot of renters/ tenants of social landlords.

People take a pride in their communties in areas of social housing, just like in areas where homes are bought.

Money and other resources are going into these areas to regenerate them. folk ARE working at grass roots level to rase morale, and standards, and expectations of the residents on these estates. it's time recognition was given to these people who are grafting to make a difference.

just because there are one or two families in a district who are "scum", it doesn't make every other resident there, "scum" also.

PT