At My Wits' End In Losing Weight - I've Tried Almost Everything!

I've been overweight/medically obese (if you go by BMI) since perhaps the age of 16/17. I'm 5'4" and currently weigh 13st, which isn't healthy for me. I do have a large, curvy frame, with wide hips and a bust, with a nipped in waist, which does do me some favours as I do have a nice figure, but I'm wanting to lose weight for health reasons, as really I should be around the 10st mark.

I've tried EVERYTHING to lose weight. Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Paul McKenna tapes, Slim Fast, hoodia appetite suppressants, acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, dodgy pills off ebay, and gosh, EXERCISE!

I currently go to the gym for an hour 3 times a week and have not budged a pound in over a month!!!

I don't eat too much rubbish, and eat lots of fruit and veg (I'm not a 5-a-day angel but am nearly there).

I'm seriously considering approaching my doctor and asking what I can get from a medical point of view. I've already had tests for underactive thyroid and similar, which have come up with nothing.

I am so frustrated - does anyone have any ideas or experiences of what a doctor might be able to do?!

Did you lose any weight with any of the methods?

I noticed you complimented your figure, calling yourself curvy. It sounds like you may have some internal resistance to losing weight.

If you think about women who you think are attractive for a moment, are these women curvy or not?

If the answer is that you think curves are more attractive then you are possibly subconsciously worried that you will be unattractive if you lose your curves and this could be the cause of your being unable to lose the weight.

If you have always been overweight it is the only way your body knows how to be and you may have subconscious beliefs that you are mean to be that way. It is hard to imagine yourself as slimmer if you've never been there.

Hope this makes sense. Emotional Freedom Techniques may help to get to the bottom of your problem.

I am planning some EFT Weight Loss Groups for the end of April and will be looking for some volunteers to try out a new programme. Let me know if you want more details.

Try not to worry too much.:)

More exercise? I have steadily lost weight since I got a dog as I'm walking a extra 2 hours a day, it is very slow..works out at about 1/4 pound a week but steady. I already played 3 hours of netball a week and have a job that I'm on my feet all day.

I'm eating more at the moment as I don't actually want to be skinny I am at the top end of normal now (11st6 for my height) and like my curves. If I get too close to the middle of the ideal weight I feel 'weak' and helpless which I know I'm not but I'm used to being on the ideal/over weight border and feel happier like that.

I would not worry too much, loosing weight is a slow process I think people are generally too impatient with it and start to cheat themselves. Stay away from the diet pills the side effects sound dreadful. Good Luck.

You seem to have highlighted the word "EXERCISE" as if it's a dangerous word for you.

Don't eat ANY rubbish. choc etc..unless your prepared to get yer lardy azz out there.

As evie says...more exercise. Good luck!

Have you tried cutting down on salt and salty food? - Most people who are very overweight lose about a stone in the first month if they seriously avoid salt and salty food and also GIVE UP DIETING. You may like to read my Mensa article about this - http://www.wildeaboutsteroids.co.uk/obesity_and_the_salt_connection.html

Losing weight this way is completely safe (benefits your health in many other ways, e.g. lowers high blood pressure), does not involve drugs or expense or hunger, and it DOES work. - Why not try it? - You have nothing to lose by trying it...(o: - But please do not think that you will lose weight even faster if you cut down on calories at the same time. - You won't!

If you need further help/info drop me an email. My help is free and I'm not selling or advertising anything.

i was overweight and just couldn't shift it so i went to see dietician and it was the best thing i ever did. i have lost a stone in 12 months without dieting or increasing exercise. she taught me to read the labels on food, gave me limits of the amount of fat, salt and sugar contents on labels. i have never felt that i am on a diet, just eating sensibly.

i would definately recommend seeing your doctor and asking to see a dietician. i had thought i was eating sensibly before seeing her, but she made me see otherwise.

like i said it was the best thing i ever did.

good luck

I've been overweight/medically obese (if you go by BMI) since perhaps the age of 16/17. I'm 5'4" and currently weigh 13st, which isn't healthy for me. I do have a large, curvy frame, with wide hips and a bust, with a nipped in waist, which does do me some favours as I do have a nice figure, but I'm wanting to lose weight for health reasons, as really I should be around the 10st mark.

I've tried EVERYTHING to lose weight. Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Paul McKenna tapes, Slim Fast, hoodia appetite suppressants, acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, dodgy pills off ebay, and gosh, EXERCISE!

I currently go to the gym for an hour 3 times a week and have not budged a pound in over a month!!!

I don't eat too much rubbish, and eat lots of fruit and veg (I'm not a 5-a-day angel but am nearly there).

I'm seriously considering approaching my doctor and asking what I can get from a medical point of view. I've already had tests for underactive thyroid and similar, which have come up with nothing.

I am so frustrated - does anyone have any ideas or experiences of what a doctor might be able to do?!

Stop worrying !

Obsessing about anything only makes things worse.

Try taking a brisk walk for 30 minutes every day. I always lose weight when I'm on holiday because I do something I don't normally do.........walk!

If, after trying everything your weight remains the same, chill out and enjoy yourself.

Life is too short, after all, and surely it's about quality not quantity:)

Go from an hour a day at the gym, to an hour and a half, 50% more exercise, what do you do in the gym as well? If you're not sweating turn it up a notch, also, try 4 days a week. Get a program off the staff, that's what they're there for. Good luck! (I speak from experience, having lost a good bit of weight myself this way)

The first thing to do would be approach your doctor and he/she should do the routine tests to make sure there is no under lying symtoms such as thyroid, polycystic ovaries etc...they can help you with medication such as tablets to block part of the fat being absorbed. They can also refer you to a dietician at the Northern General ho can hel guide you away from 'fad' diets and help you plan things.

If you know honestly you have tried eating healthy and tried excercise then a trip to your doctors is definately your next stop :) good luck :)

Hi Nuttygirl.

First, theres nothing wrong with the way you are, we are all individual, just imagine how boring it would be if everyone looked the same.

The BMI thing is a pile of pants, its simply tells you what your weight is against your hieght. For example, if you go by the BMI, Kate Moss is perfect, yet almost the entire England Rugby Team (male or female) are obese. The shape of your body does not determine how fit you are, in my time, I seen plenty of people who are "large", who are also very fit.

In terms of fitness, you need to be doing a workout that burns fat and increases the fitness. You also have to remember that no 2 people are the same, so for example one person could walk one mile per week and have a perfect body, yet another person could run 5 miles a week and still be overweight.

You also have to be careful of injuries......

The Doctor won't really be able to prescribe anything, you need an effective fitness programme and you also acept that you have a certain body type and nothing in this world will change that.

Why do you think you should be 10 stone ? who says thats a healthy weight for you?

Edited by Shef_Fitness

The Doctor won't really be able to prescribe anything...

Perhaps you'd best let the medically qualified, experienced doctor decide that?

If these magic pills are available to make people magically slim, then why are they not made available more frequently?

Edited by Shef_Fitness