Scared on motorways?

i was very nervous of motorway driving when I first started driving 5 years ago. I took the passplus course which included motorway driving but it's that first time on your own! I have relatives who live in Barnsley so I use to go over there at daft o'clock on a Sunday morning (usually about 6am) so the motorway wasn't as busy. I gained experience that way. I also used to drive on the parkway to a certain juction then turn around, go round park square roundabout and did that 2-3 times. It just gave me the feel of these things. I also use to be terrified that I would run out of slip road trying to get on to the motorway! It hasn't happened (yet!) lol. Good luck with your motorway driving, I drive on motorway now and enjoy it

I love motorway driving, but every new driving experience can cause anxiety. To be honest Park Sq roundabout (?) scares me witless!

Good luck, and enjoy your new freedom :D

If anyone is apprehensive about driving on Motorways or wants to improve their driving skills why not join the IAM where you will benefit from drivers who have already passed their IAM test. It used to be that if you had passed the test then some insurance companies offered reduced prices.

motorway driving is brilliant! Its all about having confidence in your own ability. The more you use them the better you become. Once you get used to the pace of driving on them it will become a breeze!

But as a friendly warning, never take anything for granted and always expect the unexpected! I found this clip on youtube of an italian motorway that shows just how dangerous motorways can be. do not open if you don't like accidents. there is no blood or anything but it does show an extremely serious accident in detail For me its a very sobering image that help teach people that you really are vulnerable in the little tin boxes.

After a pretty heavy smash back in October on an A road, I didnt realise how it had affected my confidence. I was that panicked on the motorway driving back from Luton a few weeks back, it took me nearly 7half hours!! I had to pull onto the hard shoulder and use an SOS phone for advice. it was awful. Getting back off the hard shoulder onto the carriage was even worse! havent been back on since. Im undertaking some advanced driver training so hopefully i can regain confidence.

Can understand the OP's coming from. But you'll get uesd to it.

I drive thousands of miles a year on or glorious motorways i find its very safe; buty ou be have to be alert at all times treat all other roads users as idiots an you should stay safe

I used to be a very nervous driver who completely stopped after having an accident on the A1(M) for a while where I was a passenger!

Then circumstance forced me to start to drive again and now I love it! Esp motorway driving as it's soooo easy and I find it really relaxing from the stresses of my job. I drive to work on the motorway every day and the A1(m)and find it great to leave work and drive fast. Put the radio on loud and it's just you and your car - I now wonder why I was so nervous!

I had a really awful accident a few years ago with a tyre blow out which left me injured and i was worried it would make me really nervous! Despite still feeling very cringy if i watch an accident i've been fine. Had a minor one on the parkway in Sept where some debris from a crashed car came flying towards me and that shook me up for a few days.

The worst bit is changing lanes. I like to choose a lane and stick to it, come what may.

Is anyone else scared of either being a passenger or driving on the motorway? Does anyone enjoy motorway driving? and how often do you all travel on a motorway? Im petrified and was just wondering your thoughts?. . .

Everyone has a phobia, mine are heights, cockroaches and work.

The worst bit is changing lanes. I like to choose a lane and stick to it, come what may.

NOOO! middle lane dawdlers are so annoying! Sorry Liberty Bell.

The 2 lanes in the middle are for overtaking!

I can understand why people are hesitant to change lanes when other cars are around them for fear of people not seeing them and speeding up, deciding to change lanes at the same time. I also don't like changing lanes on really windy bendy bits... BUT

It's so bemusing when you overtake a MLD and then in your rear view mirror there is nothing around them for miles and they STILL stay in the middle lane.

Thing is, I really don't think I do look like a prat though, I think you do

You've not done yourself any favours with your aggressiveness, mind, have you...

I like motorway driving better than driving on ordinary roads as well. Admittedly there have been times when it's got a bit hairy (e.g. pouring rain/sleet on the really busy section around Nottingham) but generally I find it a lot less stressful not having to worry about things like traffic lights, junctions, pedestrians, changing gear even! You just have to keep your wits about you.

A lot of the stress of motorway driving though seems to be involved with getting on in the first place (as somebody else said, the idea that you're going to run out of slip road). So if you want a tip to overcome that, get on at Meadowhall where you get an extra lane which carries on (as the 2-lane section over Tinsley viaduct goes back to being 3-lane), so you don't really have to change lanes at all.