Scared on motorways?

No way... if everyone followed your advice, then hardly anyone would ever use a motorway. You put her down big time in your post and I consider that to be bullying. You can think what you want

Indeed. They would follow the suggestions I made or would book motorway driving lessons and would become safe and competent drivers. I continue to think as I do and have formed a very strong opinion of you as well.

Not everybody who has a different opinion is a bully.

There is a world of difference between putting some body down and offering an honest opinion. You should try to identify the difference. It will stop you looking like a prat.

Indeed. They would follow the suggestions I made or would book motorway driving lessons and would become safe and competent drivers. I continue to think as I do and have formed a very strong opinion of you as well.

Not everybody who has a different opinion is a bully.

There is a world of difference between putting some body down and offering an honest opinion. You should try to identify the difference. It will stop you looking like a prat.

Thing is, I really don't think I do look like a prat though, I think you do

Fact is... she came on to ask advice and you destroyed this in your first post with an arrogant and totally out of order answer. 'If you are scared of doing something, you shouldn't do it'

Nice one, I assume you have never been scared to do something?

As I said earlier, i'm sure that a new motorway driver who is feverishly paying attention to everything is far less likely to cause an accident than some of the lane swerving, phone using idiots that populate our motorways

No way... if everyone followed your advice, then hardly anyone would ever use a motorway. You put her down big time in your post and I consider that to be bullying. You can think what you want

Get a grip.

Get a grip.

Is this the extent of what you have to offer or can we expect any more?

I think it sufficiently outlines what you should do before rambling anymore. You've taken a situation and blown it out of context.

I think it sufficiently outlines what you should do before rambling anymore. You've taken a situation and blown it out of context.

I don't think so. The original post was about fear of driving on motorways. The next post rather heavy handedly said that those with fear shouldn't do it. I said this was wrong, he countered. How have I blown that out of context?

Because the second post was an advisory post, but you've misinterpreted it somehow as bullying... How did you arrive at that?

Fear on a motorway isn't a good thing no matter what spin you put on it. I've experienced 'scared' drivers making irrational movements on a motorway for a number of reasons such as lack of speed awareness, lack of spatial awareness, lane discipline or panicking when approaching the motorway from the slip road et al.

Confidence and fear go hand in hand and the process is simple, build up to it. There's plenty of 'big' roads the OP can go to before going on the motorway. I didn't learn to swim by jumping in the deep end.

I love motorway driving, especially at night when theres not much traffic on the roads :)

If it was intended as advisory, I wouldn't have gone with

Stop driving on motorways then, if you are scared you are not sufficiently competent to do it.

There are far more sympathetic ways to put it

Everyone has to face the motorway at some point. Some of us are bang up for it (I was), others not so.

The fact that a person may be apprehensive does not mean they are not competent

You can't seriously tell me that that was a constructive way to deal with a nervous 1st time Mway user looking for advice.

I've helped a couple of my friends become more confident on the motorway one of them had never been driving on one before.

So to the OP get some-one in the car with you who isn't going to critisise you or worse still start trying to bully you in to doing things until you're confident.

I acted as a second pair of eyes for my friends alerting them to what they should be watching out for and calmly explaining how to change lanes and how to read the road and awareness of other cars and vehicles..

The friend who had never been on a motorway before did want to stay in the middle lane and rather than ordering her to indicate and pull across I let her relax and then simply explained to her that as long as she didn't pull into the slow lane and immediately slow down which would annoy the lorry driver she'd be fine, she then pulled across quite safely. Admittedly we had missed our turn off but I thought keeping my voice calm and allowing her to do things at her speed was rather more important.

I get edgy as a passenger on motorways. I used to drive on the M1 and M18 nearly every day, but thankfully don't any more. I understand the logic of motorways being safer, everyone is going in the same direction etc - but at speeds that leave little room for any error.

And someone has already mentioned middle laners! Are they a special breed? :help:

If you are concerned about your driving then do the institute of andvance motorists course or a simular one