Scared on motorways?

There is no more lethal combination thatn a nervous driver and a motorway.

Sorry, done a lot of motorway driving for a job and disagree. The nervous driver will sit in the nearside lane and indicate religiously when not doing so. What's dangerous?

WTF?!?!

First comment after the OP yet you aren't directly relating to it????

How does that work?

Strikes me as an attack at the OP

Well said!

WTF?!?!

First comment after the OP yet you aren't directly relating to it????

How does that work?

Strikes me as an attack at the OP

quite simple, the op asked about being scared of driving on motorways, I replied that people who are scared of driving on motorways should not do it. I think that is related, it is not an attack it is a suggestion.

Try reading what is written, not what you want to see.

quite simple, the op asked about being scared of driving on motorways, I replied that people who are scared of driving on motorways should not do it. I think that is related, it is not an attack it is a suggestion.

Try reading what is written, not what you want to see.

That is utter rubbish.

Many people are scared of using motorways, that's why driving instructors offer special courses in doing so. It's an environment alien to the new driver (faster and more lanes)

TBH i'd consider it not a suggestion but a bullying disregard for a person's fear

Heres another suggestion then. Try driving on dual carriageways and quiter roads and building up to motorways. I am not suggesting that the op should never go on a motorway. I have seen drivers on motorways who are obviously nervous and some have been frightening. Not all. Experience is the only honest answer. A journey an a motorway at a quiet time may also help to build confidence. Just avoid rush hours and other busy times till you feel more confident.

Motorway driving is fun if you every now and then change lanes, do a bit of over-taking or let other drivers pull out in front of you, you'll notice most lorry drivers will give you a thanks by flashing their lights as they hate having to slow down so appreciate cars letting them out into the middle lane. In other words don't sit at 69 mph in the middle lane driving on auto pilot as then you cease to be aware of your surroundings and it's monotonous.

That is utter rubbish.

TBH i'd consider it not a suggestion but a bullying disregard for a person's fear

You think what you want, I do not bully, I have offered what I think to be good advice. If you want to missinterpret it that is your perogative. It does not however change my opinion.

Sophiefletch - when I passed my test, my instructor offered me a motorway lesson. Maybe worth getting something similar if you can?

Otherwise, the motorway wisdom I use is this.. on a motorway, at least everything is going your way and you don't have to worry about idiots overtaking towards you in your path. :)

Sophiefletch - Pem123 is right, it's a big plus that on a motor way that there is almost no risk of meeting something coming towards you. You can relax and just pay attention to the vehicles all going in one direction.

Motorways are designed to reduce the need for sudden changes of pace - for example the corners on motorways are long and sweeping not sudden, and all the exits are simple and well sign posted and indicated. You often find it is much worse on major A-(Non-motorway) Roads for these factors.

However, I always think it helps that you think about the things that could go wrong and rehearse in your head, what you would do if you found yourself in the situation - however unlikely it is. Rehearsing your actions even in your head has been shown to help people escape dangerous situations under high stress. For example people who memorise where the exits are in an unfamilar buildings are more likely to survive and escape in a fire.

I would suggest that it'll be really good for you to that extra motorway lesson. I did pass plus after my test, and it was very useful.

I had my first motorway experience yesterday and i cacked myself!! However, i think the more you do it, the more you get used to it so won't be as scared?! I'd like to think so anyway! :hihi:

Heres another suggestion then. Try driving on dual carriageways and quiter roads and building up to motorways. I am not suggesting that the op should never go on a motorway. I have seen drivers on motorways who are obviously nervous and some have been frightening. Not all. Experience is the only honest answer. A journey an a motorway at a quiet time may also help to build confidence. Just avoid rush hours and other busy times till you feel more confident.

Thanks, thats much more constructive! Just what I was looking for, the only thing is that i dont really have much choice to avoid the traffic as i have a new job which demands me to be on the road in rush hour times!!! I certainly don't feel its incompetence but just lack of experience on the Motorway.

I would suggest that no first time motorway user is half as frightening as the BMW crowd who change lanes with no regard for the silly orange lights on the sides of their cars...

You have to respect that it's easy to see it all as easy when you have done it yourself... To many motoring newbies the motorway is a really scary place and dual carriageways´with their streetlamps and closeness to home don't give the same effect

You think what you want, I do not bully, I have offered what I think to be good advice. If you want to missinterpret it that is your perogative. It does not however change my opinion.

No way... if everyone followed your advice, then hardly anyone would ever use a motorway. You put her down big time in your post and I consider that to be bullying. You can think what you want