Scared on motorways?

Is anyone else scared of either being a passenger or driving on the motorway? Does anyone enjoy motorway driving? and how often do you all travel on a motorway? Im petrified and was just wondering your thoughts?. . .

Stop driving on motorways then, if you are scared you are not sufficiently competent to do it.

I actually find driving a car in any situation can be quite scary when you start thinking about it. It's a big responsibility especially if you have other people in the car. Controlling a couple of tons of metal and plastic at high speed quite rightly deserves a lot attention, I really can't stand over confident drivers.

I would however say that motorway driving is probably fairly safe. Even though the actual speeds are greater on motorways, the relative speed of an individual car to another vehicle is rarely that great, and indeed comparable to normal driving. The major difference is the extended stopping distance and the knock on effects of small incidents at high actual speeds.

I think the best thing you can do to feel safe on a motorway is keep a good distance from the person ahead, and take extra care and attention in bad whether. Also find out what you should do if your tyre blows at high speed - because a lot of people don't and cause major incidents because of it.

I avoid driving if I could get a on train for a comparable cost of travel and it was reasonably convenient to get to where I was going.

Edited by Fredington

statistically you are safer on motorways than on minor roads, but please if you arent over taking dont use the middle lane, as that does cause problems

at least on motorways you dont seem to see or notice as many poor drivers. i personally enjoy motorways more than minor roads

Stop driving on motorways then, if you are scared you are not sufficiently competent to do it.

She didn't say she drove on motorways, just that the idea scares her

Many people are scared of motorway driving, fear doesn't equate to incompetence, if anything the fear of making a mistake will likely make the OP a far safer motorway driver than an over confident person

Motorway driving in the night... i love it.

Sophiefletch - when I passed my test, my instructor offered me a motorway lesson. Maybe worth getting something similar if you can?

Otherwise, the motorway wisdom I use is this.. on a motorway, at least everything is going your way and you don't have to worry about idiots overtaking towards you in your path. :)

She didn't say she drove on motorways, just that the idea scares her

Many people are scared of motorway driving, fear doesn't equate to incompetence, if anything the fear of making a mistake will likely make the OP a far safer motorway driver than an over confident person

The comment was not directly relating to the op, it was a general comment.

There is no more lethal combination thatn a nervous driver and a motorway.

I do not suffer from over confidence, but am suitably aware of other drivers and their needs and requirements. Over confidence is as bad as nervousness.

WTF?!?!

First comment after the OP yet you aren't directly relating to it????

How does that work?

Strikes me as an attack at the OP

Sophiefletch - when I passed my test, my instructor offered me a motorway lesson. Maybe worth getting something similar if you can?

Otherwise, the motorway wisdom I use is this.. on a motorway, at least everything is going your way and you don't have to worry about idiots overtaking towards you in your path. :)

I've already had a Motorway lesson, to be honest i didnt really learn anything new, i just know now that its inexperience on the Motorway and with me travelling on there more often, hopefully my fear will subside, thanks for your positive comments though!!!!:)