Notice period and the law

Hi,

I am in a similar predicament. I think I am about to be offered a new job but I am worried that the 3 month notice period in my current contract will put my prospective employer off. I have been honest and let my new employer know my notice period but mentioned that I thought my current employer would negotiate due to the current economic climate.

Now I'm not so sure, a colleague recently handed his notice in and has been made to work three months.

To add further complication, my current company's order book is very poor. We are likely to miss our targets over the next few months. We have already been asked to work shorter weeks and lay offs are being threatened. Can my employer force me to work 3 months notice when the possiblity of redundancy is looming and I have found a new job?

They can, but would they be so petty?

ok... if you negotiated with your employee 6 weeks... maybe write a letter back saying we negoiated 6 weeks, what is the problem.

I would give some one a call to confirm what the options are, just because you signed a contact does not mean it is legally applicable. ACAS are very good...

I was owed holiday pay (I worked part time and everyone gets holiday pay) but the company were being slow giving it to me and made up rubbish like I had to ask for holiday pay, on full time staff get it....

Best of luck.

to protect themselves many compainies now only give references that refer to facts and figures only rather than personal opinions from individuals, so you are effectively responsible for making your own references.

ie, absence history, punctuality, any outstanding disciplinary warnings or hearings, etc

the only question that is based on opinion is often "would you re-employ?" answered with a simple yes or no.

if you've behaved yourself at work you shouldnt get a bad reference, and even if your boss hates you and puts would not re-employ, as long as your other facts and figures are immaculate then they will be easy to see through.

Hi

I was hoping to get some advice. I was put off on sick leave by the doctor due to work related stress, mainly due to difficulties with certain managers in the office. I was offered another job and start on Monday, I have handed in my notice for my current job and my last official day was today. However I have been contacted by one of the senior managers in the office (not my line manager) who has said that she wants to meet with me to 'tie up some loose ends' but I really don't want to. I've felt sick ever since she contacted me yesterday. I guess what I want to check is, since I have completed my notice and am now no longer an employee of the company, am I under any obligation to meet with this person?

Many thanks

If I were you I would ask them to put it down on paper and post it to you,I cant imagine for a moment that you are obliged to attend in person,If you have to attend take some one with you

If I were you I would ask them to put it down on paper and post it to you,I cant imagine for a moment that you are obliged to attend in person,If you have to attend take some one with you

I agree with this the only thing they need to do is pay you and send you your P45/P60 - they can post them out to you and I take it your salary goes into bank. If you do go take someone with you, if a friend/family member not available contact ACAS Aand say you are not happy to go on your own. Good luck with new job:D:thumbsup:

Hi

I was hoping to get some advice. I was put off on sick leave by the doctor due to work related stress, mainly due to difficulties with certain managers in the office. I was offered another job and start on Monday, I have handed in my notice for my current job and my last official day was today. However I have been contacted by one of the senior managers in the office (not my line manager) who has said that she wants to meet with me to 'tie up some loose ends' but I really don't want to. I've felt sick ever since she contacted me yesterday. I guess what I want to check is, since I have completed my notice and am now no longer an employee of the company, am I under any obligation to meet with this person?

Many thanks

No. And tell her so...sounds to me that she want to involve you in her office politics!

My last employer refused to pay me my holiday intitlement and to give me a referance I got in touch with ACAS and they were great,they sorted everything out for me,so if you have any problems with your ex-employer get ACAS involved they are here to help us

How did you get on? Did you leave after 6 weeks?

I have a friend in a similar quandry. Advice welcome, thanks

It's common for employers to request an exit interview (especially if there has been some sort of problem) but you don't have to attend. It's just 'good practise' on their part to ensure the same thing doesn't happen again.