Developmental worries

my youngest didnt crawl at all, until a week before her first birthday, and she didnt walk until she was 23 months.

As others have said, try games and things to encourage him, but please try not to worry! I'm sure he's just being a lazy little man! The gp would have wanted to see him sooner if he was worried :)

Hi Zweena

I'm really sorry you are feeling anxious Hugs. I thought that I hadn't seen you out and about for a while, but that may be other reasons. Anyway. You mentioned that your OH was late to move, and you, so perhaps he has inherited the sit back and relax gene in you both!

I think that our lives as parents can be too full of comparisons, and in many cases they can be unhelpful. This is making you anxious and I'm sorry that that is the case. Some people can say the most unhelpful of things, and not even realise that they have been hurtful.

I know you know this, but all babies do develop at different rates, as you said from your own babyhood! Adam may just not see the importance in it at the moment. In my experience, once babies develop a skill, if they have left it a while, they can really just go for it once they do!

Anyway, enough rambles, just happy thoughts and well moving wishes for you.:)

Hi treadlightly!

Nice to 'see' you! I've not been out much lately, you're right. I started back at work Tuesdays and Wednesdays and then was hit by a terrible virus. It had us all a bit panicked - at one point I had to go for chest x-rays and there was a bit of a worry from the GP. Anyway, on the mend now, thank God!

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with some peoples insensitivity. We spend too much time weighing up our children against pre-defined 'developmental milestones', and if your child isn't the round peg that fits in that round hole, then you are often left open to exclamations of wonder..."he DOESN'T crawl???!! WOW! Does he bum-shuffle??" NOOOOOO!! As other people have said, the GP didn't see cause for concern yet, and as she put it, he is incredibly content. And he is. If he can't get something he just focusses on what he can get. Clearly the sit back and relax gene! In fact, I'll never forget the midwife commenting on how relaxed he was 2 days post-birth, and I guess he'll never change.

We'll watch and wait. 16 months isn't long away and if nothing is happening by then we will push for help. Thanks so much for your concern.

From what I have seen with my own and friends kids, I think that some children develop the talking first and others develop walking first, and the other activity takes longer. To me it sounds like your son is developing his talking and brain activity first, before the physical walking activity and sounds fine to me.