Developmental worries

Good God I've not been on the Sheff Forum for AGES! Apologies to all, I have just been very busy and very ill since before the New Year.

I am posting because I am a) probably overanxious and b) wonder if someone may have had to have referrals for my concern.

Adam is 15 months old on the 2nd March. He's a very very contented boy, sleeps through, says a few words, eats VERY well with a fork or spoon. However..he isn't moving at all yet. He sits well and has done since he was 5 months old. He is not: crawling, pulling up to stand, walking, bum shuffling. He is getting better at the pull ups and cruises but he hasn't worked out how to get from sit to lie down or vica versa.

I am of course REALLY worried - he is our first and that's inevitable. Both me and OH were late to move (he was a good 19 months before he did anything!). Over the past few days he has started some kind of weird, maggoty commando crawl that is v-e-r-y slow and takes a lot of concentration.

The GP said to wait til 18 months before worrying but it's really really bothering me. He is sooo far behind his peers and I just can't see anything changing. I know I'm lucky to not have a raging toddler but I'd rather know if anything was wrong.

So, has anyone else got a similar experience? Did you push for a referral? Is this a common problem and is the referral waiting list long?

Have you spoken to your health visitor? Will he stand/ bear weight on his legs if you hold him?

Have you spoken to your health visitor? Will he stand/ bear weight on his legs if you hold him?

The HV said to come back and see her when he was 2 (!!!) but the GP observed him and said 18 months, and back to the GP and not the HV.

Yes, he does bear weight. One thing Adam is is sturdy - he is short and, well, chubby :love:

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage, I've known lots of children be later in getting around under their own steam. Just give him lots of opportunities, freedom and space for exploring :)

I didn't walk until I was two - my mum thinks a lot of it is because my older sister (who walked when she was 9 months) fetched and carried for me a lot, so I had little motivation. I think she did take me to the doctor, but it just turned out I was a VERY late walker.

Hi Zweena, good to see you posting again. Of course you're worried! I'd be exactly the same.

I'm assuming the GP isn't overly concerned otherwise they'd have said something and done a referral. I think if I were in your position i'd probably be doing things to encourage as much movement as possible. Some babies are so content they don't see the need to do much.

When littlebonny was about 7 months old I got him one of those activity centres that he could sit in but also practice pushing up on his feet (it wasn't a babywalker) maybe something like this would encourage him to practice putting weight on his legs and build up the muscle a bit?

Hi,

The weird commando crawl thing (we called it the caterpillar!) that you describe is how my little one started to move. He did this for a couple of months before he strarted to crawl. Obviously not all children are he same but this could be the start of his movement development, just a little later than normal.

When littlebonny was about 7 months old I got him one of those activity centres that he could sit in but also practice pushing up on his feet (it wasn't a babywalker) maybe something like this would encourage him to practice putting weight on his legs and build up the muscle a bit?

At 15 months i think he'd be a little bit big for one of those toys. Scarlett had out grown hers by 10 months. (she's tall though)

I think i'd try to leave his favourite toys on the sofa, just a bit far out of his reach so he has to get it, or put his drink just out of his reach on the floor so her has to go for it.

I don't think I'd be too concerned (easy for me to say I know, if it was mine I would be just as worried) If his dad was a late mover then chances are he will be to. He's also a boy and starting to see that he doesn't have to do much as the wonderful woman in his life will do it for him :D

Just give it time and 3 months isn't all that long to wait to go back to the GP but I'm sure he'll be going a bit by then.

Also wasn't he a bit early if I remember correctly? this can hamper their development slightly if so (I'm sure you know that already)

He might not be too big. My lo is 2 in April and tall for his age and he still goes in his! He just stands in it rather than sitting in the seat. If he does choose to sit he just bends his legs. He never complains about going in. I put other toys around the edge and he normally watches tv. I only really use it while I go in the shower.

We had an activity centre but he's too big for it now...chubby boy! I am giving it another month I think, seeing as he is commando crawling, and if there is no imporvement then will take him to the GP and push push push.

It's such a worry. I am now even avoiding certain baby/toddler groups because the very idea of the competitiveness fills me with dread!

Lots of little ones dont walk until much later, i personally wouldnt worry just yet (easier said, i know :) ) from experiance the LOs that do walk til later very quickly catch up with there peers within a matter of weeks, they also seem to have less knocks as well, which can only be a plus point IMO. One of my daughters friends, didnt walk until 20mth, but literally with 2 weeks of her taking to her feet you would have never guessed that my daughter had been walking for 7mths longer, she was charging round the house like a complete expert!. Its a good thing that he is weight bareing, he will do it in his own time, and then you will be wishing he had never started, hehe.

The joys of motherhood!! if its not one thing to worry yourself about, its another :).

Hey, worry not. He'll start to move around in his own good time. Try leaving toys and snacks a bit out of reach if you want to hurry him up a little... But bear in mind that once he's moving around under his own steam, life gets a lot more complicated, so enjoy this while you can.