Managers coming to visit you when off sick

Exactly. And what if you were to tell them youd rather they didnt come around? First thing theyre going to think is you dont want them there because theyll discover youre on the skive. If youre genuinely ill, then I dont see the problem with them coming round at all.

I'm not saying there is a problem with them coming round, just never known it before. I was off 6 weeks once and never got a 'home visit'. It just seems strange???

Could be a little undignified if you are vomiting or worse. There are many cases when you might not overtly ill to a manger (unless he is a doctor :)), but are too ill for work.

Those have been the only times I've taken off work! Usually spent them curled up in bed moaning a lot. I wouldn't be much of a host :hihi:

Why not simply go out when the boss is due to visit ? you can explain at work, ie

Boss - "I was due to visit you, and we arranged a time, why did you not answer the door?"

you - "I went out, shopping"

or

you - "I didn't hear the door, as I had the music on too loud/ I was with a visiting masseur upstairs"

Its easy to avoid difficult questions

Its all down to your company's sickness procedure. Many employers (mine do) carry out home/welfare visits of their staff. My current employer does this every four weeks without fail. It doesn't have to be in your own home, but can be a local cafe or even you can go into work etc.

Fairly common now so nothing to worry about.

I would agree with this comment.

Most employers have a procedure whereby they want to support you if you are off work and with anything a face to face talk can help air issues/solutions to get you back to work. Many people here have seen it as a bad thing but I'm sure it's not.

They will at some point say that Prolonged absence can lead to dismissal but you would have to be off for more than a year and by that point you'd be looking at being signed off as unfit to work anyway.

A week does seem a bit quick though!!! Maybe check your terms and conditions of employment or contact your union (if you have one) and check they are sticking to there policies.

:)

Edited by *RTC*
Missed a bit :)

Pity the education dept doesn't do it...or do they?

My company contracts to major landlords and schools in the City...everytime I call to a particular tenants address the guy is always off sick...he's a teacher. He always seems to be doing DIY or likes a chat! He's also the type that thinks the world ows him a favour. A particular school I contract to also has on average 3 relief teachers covering for those sick.

So for me...yes, check them out. The are lots of genuine people who would like jobs but to have one and abuse it..pah!

Yeah, my old manager once came to see me at the hospital when i cut my hand open before work .... sat in A+E in my uniform all bandaged up .... next thing i know my GM walks in, asks if i'm alright then goes again! I didn't know what to make of it. He's never been bothered about me so it can't have been that, just seems like a fair trek just to check if i'm there or not ... and he looked so surprised when he saw me!

I have been off work for a week with a kidney infection (self cert). The infection has not gone away so I went to the doctors to get more tablets and they signed me off for a week.

I phoned my place of employment to advise them of this and the manager of the centre and my manager is coming to see me tomorrow at home. They say its a courtesy call to see if I'm OK?

Can managers do this when I have only been off a week?

Seems a bit suss to me? :huh:

So far as I know, they can ask and you can refuse.

After one week it seems petty, to be checking up on you. But if you refuse you could generate suspicions. Suspicions they shouldn't act on but if they do it will be difficult to link it to your refusal to allow them to visit.

Since you only had one days notice and they are coming today it is probably a little late to be calling them back to say you have changed your mind.

I suggest giving them a call and asking if they can pick you up some shopping on the way. You might as well get some use out of it, and if as they say they are doing it out of courtesy then they should be expecting a few chores. Maybe they could push the hoover around for you as well once they are there?

So far as I know, they can ask and you can refuse.

After one week it seems petty, to be checking up on you. But if you refuse you could generate suspicions. Suspicions they shouldn't act on but if they do it will be difficult to link it to your refusal to allow them to visit.

Since you only had one days notice and they are coming today it is probably a little late to be calling them back to say you have changed your mind.

I suggest giving them a call and asking if they can pick you up some shopping on the way. You might as well get some use out of it, and if as they say they are doing it out of courtesy then they should be expecting a few chores. Maybe they could push the hoover around for you as well once they are there?

I dont really want them coming round and dont see the point in it all. I thought about telling them I didnt want them to come round but as you said, I didnt want 'tongues wagging' and them accusing me of not being ill. I just think its odd as I had 5 weeks off last year and they didnt make the effort to see me, so why now??? I will let everyone know how it goes!!! Thank you for all your comment (some which have given me a giggle) :) xXx

I just think its odd as I had 5 weeks off last year and they didnt make the effort to see me, so why now???

Might be cos you had 5 weeks off last year?

Might be cos you had 5 weeks off last year?

Maybe, but cant see why???

They can only do it if you agree to it beforehand. They cant come if you say you dont want them to. Neither can they just turn up on the doorstep without prior agreement with you.

Why I have seen it many times especially in the summer, its strange how many people get illnesses that just happen when we have a mini heat wave. :suspect:

Maybe, but cant see why???

They might just want to be seen to be giving you a bit of extra support so you don't have to have another 5 weeks off or they might just want some clarity on how long you will be off so they can arrange cover.