Under occupied council house

i agree zippy. if you want to pay cheap rent you have to do so under their terms. if someone can afford to put in brand new kitchens and heating then why can they not afford to buy or rent private. that way they can have as big a house as they can afford.

Private renting isn't a stable way of living.

The person in question was entitled to the property, just because she is now there on her own doesn't mean she should be made to move into a pokey flat.

Just because she can afford a new kitchen doesn't then mean she can afford to buy.

We wanted to buy a while ago but couldn't afford it so we did the kitchen and bathroom and have been doing a little decorating instead.

Not as simple as you think.;)

me and my husband live with 1 child in a 3 bedroom property it has been our choice to downsize to a 2 bedroom no pressure from the council but feel its the right thing to do they have given us 6weeks priority to move saying we must bid for all suitable 2 bed houses but i sure as hell wont take a 2bed in an estate full of problems which i told them just as those overcrowded wont rush to bid on 3 bed properties always up for grabs on the property shop pitsmoore/parsons cross not a dig at the area but has a bad reputation which puts people off take a look always the ones saying"this is a re-advertisments" i have my house on the exchange list also but have only been offered mainly flats from others which i wont take as i have a dog and my daughter is only 10 and enjoys the use of our garden so i will stay put until the right house comes along right or wrong and i feel no guilt if they take the priority away i will continue to look for the right property to exchange with but until then i will continue to under occupy

rotherham council are now offering under occupied house tenants £1000 per room if they are willing to give the house up and offered suitable accomodation of their choice :thumbsup: sheffield council should look how a toytown handles these situations :hihi:

yeah good idea or removal costs and cooker connection those on benifits who would maybe downsize would struggle to pay for these things

But while a person is paying full rent doing thier own improvements at least the council are making money.

The council have been happy to take her money for all the years she has been there, she has not broken any tenancy agreement, kept all payments upto date, council not had to spend money on her property, my view they should be thanking her.

If someone is in a one bed flat, gets pregnant, whose to blame? person in a 2 bed house whose partner has left? or person who did not use contraceptoin?

Again I think its wrong to be forced to move, ask then fine if the tenant agrees but not to be forced.

This could happen with a private landlord, if i was renting you a house thats got 2 bedrooms and you are a couple, I dont think you would be happy if i was to say sorry but you are going to have to move out because I got a familly wanting to move in, they not gonna pay extra, but hey I've got a nice 1 bed flat you can move in.

If she's made major changes to her property - new kitchen, windows etc. - then it is a breach of tenancy if she has not asked permission from the Council.

they cannot force you out of your home, someone came out from tenency management team to see me the other day as i have been given priority for overcrowding and funny enough i asked her about this as i live on a road where there are quite a few 4 bed homes which are very under occupied like my mums neighbough he is in a 4 bed on his own but has been there for about 55 years so will not move they have offered him a property where ever he wants but he has refused it, this lady from tenency management team said that they can offer to down size you but cannot force you out of your home...

Edited by rachey1701

Hi Its taken me 3 years to get a council house with my daughter when i have 8 years waiting. I agree with some aspects that if your are a single person then you shouldn't be given a council property with 2 bedrooms, but that doesn't go for people who have been council tenants for years.

My nan lived on her own for years and she moved from a 3 bed into a 2 bed. I've not heard of any new law that they can move you into a smaller house?!!!!

I would definately appeal if that was my house.

Hope she gets it sorted!!!!!

contact your MP or the Sheffield Star. a paying tenant should not have to go!! but it does not surprise me. It will probably be promised to someone who has not payed in, usually how it works.