Parents Complain about Disabled Presenter

How ridiculous! Chhildren may well feel afraid of people with visible disability. This is a great oppertunity for parents to discuss with their children how differnt we all are from each other.

Those parents quoted in that report should be shot!

I've been looking into this (it disgusted me, yet puzzled me too) and it seems to have originated with a guy who started a thread on the Digital Spy forum. So beware forum users, your trolling, provocative thread might one day end up with your user name being smeared as being a 'tool' all over Radio 4, the newspapers and Have Your Say ;)

Sounds pretty disgusting to me. In essence these parents are teaching their kids to discriminate against the disabled.....and if this gets anywhere near this woman getting taking off the air merely for her disability i hope she fights hard against anyone daring to discriminate against her in a job she has clearly fought to be doing.

Furthermore i would rather have someone with a disability who has fought against discrimination and ignorance as well as coping with her disability teach my children.....beats the usual another uni student wanting to make it into television by being on a childrens show and looking like a complete idiot.

blimey am i on the right SF? :loopy:

we all agree, someats not right, wheres the trolls when you need one?

think if it were there kids that had a disabilitie then it would be different, having one arm does,nt stop someone from working on tv, welldone tothem

Hiya

Ive just come across this, and is it me or are we not surprised that kids have such one dimentional views when they get wrapped up in cotton wool by there parents

Heres the link: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090223/tuk-one-armed-cbeebies-host-scaring-chil-45dbed5.html

And a quick paragraph

"parents on online forums have claimed she 'frightens' their children.

Poster Barry wrote: "Is it just me, or does anyone else think the new woman presenter on Cbeebies (Cerrie Burnell) may scare the kids because of her disability?

"I didn't want to let my children watch the filler bits on the bedtime hour last night because I know it would have played on my eldest daughter's mind and possibly caused sleep problems... and yes, this is a serious post."

Pure Madness

Everyone with disabilities is scary- didn't you know?

Just like everyone who wears glasses is called 'four eyes' and everyone who's got a weight problem is there to be laughed at.

I'm not going to type what I actually think about this because I don't think I can keep my temper long enough to type it properly.

Suffice it to say that if the children have a problem with the disability it's because the adults do. I've had a discussion with my niece about her disability and she's not in the least scared. Could that be because she is sitting on the lap of, and cuddling up to, someone who has a gammy arm when we're having that discussion?

Everyone with disabilities is scary- didn't you know?

Just like everyone who wears glasses is called 'four eyes' and everyone who's got a weight problem is there to be laughed at.

I'm not going to type what I actually think about this because I don't think I can keep my temper long enough to type it properly.

Suffice it to say that if the children have a problem with the disability it's because the adults do. I've had a discussion with my niece about her disability and she's not in the least scared. Could that be because she is sitting on the lap of, and cuddling up to, someone who has a gammy arm when we're having that discussion?

I don't neceserrily think thats correct.

I genuinly think that some children are naturally fearful when they experience to something different to the "norm". But as I said I think that the parents responsibility in these circumstances is to make sure that their children are reassured and learn that we are all different and that this is a good thing.

Edited by scoop

If the dead-head parents that have complained think that their PLD (Precious Little Darling) is going to go through life never having the inconvenience of encountering a person with a disability, they need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Balamory has a disabled character in it:- Susie Sweet, so what's to freak out about?

If the dead-head parents that have complained think that their PLD (Precious Little Darling) is going to go through life never having the inconvenience of encountering a person with a disability, they need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Balamory has a disabled character in it:- Susie Sweet, so what's to freak out about?

There's also Me Too, and Something Special, and plenty of other kids' shows with disabled characters in them - where do they hide their kids to keep them from seeing all these 'scary monsters'????

People of my age were brought up with Blue Peter who introduced Joey Deacon to the world. OK, I'm sorry to say that for horrible little children of my age it didn't make us appreciate diversity and disability but at least we weren't traumatised for the rest of our lives by seeing someone different.

i cant believe this is happening in todays world - although i see it through the eyes of a parent with a disabled son.

children are fasinated by the differences that a disabled person has.

For example, we were at the dr's tonight and a young child (about 4) saw my son in the wheelchair and came over to ask what was wrong with him and why he needed the chair. my son was very patient and was starting to explain his problem when the kids mother came over and apologised for her son asking and told him off.

my younger son (aged 6) however stood up for all kids everywhere and said 'he just cant walk right, theres nowt wrong with him really'

the mother looked away very embarrassed by her behaviour and all 3 of my kids started to talk to the little boy, just like they would have even if one of them was not in the wheelchair.

Im pretty able bodied (no thats not a boast on my part) and to be honest i think its high time the disabled, overweight....different in one way or another people reversed the entire thing.....the majority of those listed above are very accepting of others...how would all those ignorant people stand up to a barrage of abuse based on their ignorance of difference in others.....probably cry and hide in a corner with a phone and a compensation telephone number asking for help with mental abuse.

An old saying "a human is a wonderful creature....however humanity is a vicious and destructive beast".