Zimbabwean Farms Still Being Seized

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7906031.stm?lss

Scores of white-owned farms in Zimbabwe have been invaded since the country's national unity government took office, a union chief has told the BBC.

Commercial Farmers Union President Trevor Gifford said 77 properties had been occupied in the last fortnight.

MPs, police, the military and Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe officials had taken part in the invasions, he said.

Many of the farmers targeted recently mounted a successful legal challenge to government land reforms, he added.

The Southern African Development Community (Sadc) Tribunal ruled in November the Zimbabwe government's programme of seizing white-owned property for redistribution to landless blacks was discriminatory and illegal.

The government said at the time that it would not comply with the ruling.

Meanwhile, Roy Bennett - the MDC's nominee for deputy agricultural minister - faces a bail hearing on Tuesday after he was arrested this month accused of terrorism on charges his supporters say are trumped-up.

By that reckoning you must advocate kicking all the blacks out of a white country ie England??

By that reckoning you must advocate kicking all the blacks out of a white country ie England??

Not at all the whites have raped that country of most of the resorces and they should have left years ago.They knew sometime this day would come .

Edited by summertimeuk

You failed to answer the question, and on what basis do you define raping the country? They were better off under white rule, or are you a Mugabe fan?

You think the black south africans were better of under white rule get with the programme don`t sanction mugabe but the whites should be thrown out and the land given back to them .years ago

Why? The indigenous people didn't farm the land, there was no infrastructure ie. roads, railways, electricity, no mining nothing. During British rule they aquired all these things together with schools a legal system, democracy and a government. All these things have been destroyed to some degree since independence. The country is now an unsustainable state with rampant inflation and hardly any rule of law other than the bullet.

Is that an improvement?? what planet do you live on?

Good its about time they kicked the whites out of a black country

That just about sums up the one way street that is racism.

Sounds like a good idea, there'd be less crime there'd be less drugs on the streets and we'd save a fortune in benefits.

As for kicking the whites out of Rhodesia, why not, let the blacks eat cake.

Edited by Urien

well said ekerslike, I'm not saying colonialism was a good thing but in this case it was. Before I get the anti-racist brigade on my back lets be straight here - the country and indeed most of the continent was a savage wasteland before the Brits, French, Belgians and Dutch arrived. What independence has meant for most of the former colonies is a return to chaos, bankrupcy and lawlessness

Why? The indigenous people didn't farm the land, there was no infrastructure ie. roads, railways, electricity, no mining nothing. During British rule they aquired all these things together with schools a legal system, democracy and a government. All these things have been destroyed to some degree since independence. The country is now an unsustainable state with rampant inflation and hardly any rule of law other than the bullet.

Is that an improvement?? what planet do you live on?

I understand the point you're trying to make ninja, but could you tell me where you live please? I'm coming round with my metal detector to see if there's any buried treasure in your garden, if I find some, Im going to offer you a job digging it up on minimum wage, whilst I keep all the profit..would that be ok with you?

Ps: that's not to say Mugabe isnt an evil b****** and no better than the people that preceded him.

well said ekerslike, I'm not saying colonialism was a good thing but in this case it was. Before I get the anti-racist brigade on my back lets be straight here - the country and indeed most of the continent was a savage wasteland before the Brits, French, Belgians and Dutch arrived. What independence has meant for most of the former colonies is a return to chaos, bankrupcy and lawlessness

..dont demean your argument by 'playing the race card', not agreeing with you entirely is nothing to do with being anti racist, Mugabe is one of the biggest racist's the world has ever seen after all