Our kids don't know they're born...

I have a 16 year old son, brought up in the States, very middle class (hasn't got a clue) I was brought up on a 'bad' council estate in Sheffield. Does anyone else have this? I mention being cold because the electic was turned off, visiting my granny and her outide loo, dripping sandwiches. Chucked outside on the weekend and don't come home until dinnertime ..... You all know the whole Sheffield experience. We all move for a better life but when we talk about it, it's the old days, they don't believe you or even worse "My friend has a car/credit card/phone/apartment why wont you buy me one"

It's not that he doesn't believe you, it's just that without anything comparable to draw from he can't really imagine it. More of a lack of understanding than a lack of belief, I expect.

I have a 16 year old son, brought up in the States, very middle class (hasn't got a clue) I was brought up on a 'bad' council estate in Sheffield. Does anyone else have this? I mention being cold because the electic was turned off, visiting my granny and her outide loo, dripping sandwiches. Chucked outside on the weekend and don't come home until dinnertime ..... You all know the whole Sheffield experience. We all move for a better life but when we talk about it, it's the old days, they don't believe you or even worse "My friend has a car/credit card/phone/apartment why wont you buy me one"

Try making him watch Kes - Barry Hines and find some comparisons he can see ;) That is what I did.

I know what you mean my 13 year old daughter refuses to believe that we had no GCH when I was young and we would wake up to Jack Frost's icy patterns on the inside of our windows and have to run downstairs to get dressed in front of the gas fire.

She also refuses to believe we had black and white tv (the foolish child):hihi:

My Daughter loves to hear stories of 'T'olden days' from her Grandad (who lives here also) needless to say when she had a recent project at school where you have to take something old and talk about it she took her Grandad !!

The result was an 'Sheffield History lesson' to a group of 7 year old Greek children, complete with pictures of old Sheffield Town - enjoyed by everyone. Surprisingly, quite a few could relate to stories of getting dressed for School inside the bed (too cold to get out without clothes) as it is very cold here at the moment

I was born in my grannies house and there was no water supply in the house you went into the yard to the tap and washed in a bowl on a table outside, for hot wter you had to go and fetch it and boil it on the gas ring. This was durring the war but it was like that untill the early 60s as I can remember when we visited my sibblings who went for the first time were amazed that she did not have water in the house.

I'm not going to give any advice or anything but, man, I really feel for you on this one.

I know what you mean my 13 year old daughter refuses to believe that we had no GCH when I was young and we would wake up to Jack Frost's icy patterns on the inside of our windows and have to run downstairs to get dressed in front of the gas fire.

She also refuses to believe we had black and white tv (the foolish child):hihi:

Gas fires! black and white television!

I remember running downstairs and freezing my bits off whilst trying to get the coal fire started. Using twisted-up newspaper to set the coal alight and having to draw the fire with a sheet of newspaper, that often caught fire. Ah, the old Yorkshire Range, those were the days! - a gas fire would have been a luxury, let alone a TV set.

End of the day that's your generation i hate the term kids don't know there born yet. heck your parents wont have had Tv let alone black and white there was a war on and they had to be rationed. keep going back there was a black plague. end of the day times changed so i'm 19 in my life there's Tv video games and lots of other technology. when I'm older kids will have 32inch plasmas in there rooms and we'll be looking into super high def Tvs with the children wanting new hologram games.

So point is your kids do know there born its just they know there born in a completely different era to yourselves similar to all of your elders.

End of the day that's your generation i hate the term kids don't know there born yet. heck your parents wont have had Tv let alone black and white there was a war on and they had to be rationed. keep going back there was a black plague. end of the day times changed so i'm 19 in my life there's Tv video games and lots of other technology. when I'm older kids will have 32inch plasmas in there rooms and we'll be looking into super high def Tvs with the children wanting new hologram games.

So point is your kids do know there born its just they know there born in a completely different era to yourselves similar to all of your elders.

I started this thread in hopes of starting a humourous dialogue, what we expats tell our children. Like the 'Four Yorkshiremen' from Monty python. "When I was a lad".

I probably didn't phrase my intent too well as my local supermarket just started stocking Boddingtons in cans, so I was getting stuck in when I wrote the thread.

I understand the generational and cultural differences. I know my kids have stresses and pressures I never had but I fondly remember shaking my head when my grandparents would rabbit on about when they were kids and here I am repeating the same thing.

Here it is in all it's glory.... Monty Python..."The Four Yorkshiremen"

Fair enough then maybe its just how i read it as the generation your talking about.

On the plus side in your day you got to walk the streets without ***** with knifes. and paranoier on the tv. no pressure to do well in school more then you need to get a job to live. essentially your generation got it better then us if you term it the right way.

:P

and genius Monty python and most is still valid today which is shocking for film.