Sheffield city centre in the 80's

Yes, he remember's, he also remembers Plug, Spud and The Ripon's

My OH is Paul he hung around with Haggis and jacque-sey, who is Mark's brother-in-law.

Yes, he remember's, he also remembers Plug, Spud and The Ripon's

My OH is Paul he hung around with Haggis and jacque-sey, who is Mark's brother-in-law.

all the names sound familiar espicially the rippons..but sadly at a ripe old age of 46 the memory isn't quite what it used to be,my best mate at the time was mark bingham a total lunatic and a legend in the day of the manor skinheads..funny thing is he still is..we've all grown up and err he hasn't :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Ey up Sham ;)

Is that the same Mark Bingham that moved on to the Arbourthorne, used to be a doorman?

Ey up Sham ;)

Is that the same Mark Bingham that moved on to the Arbourthorne, used to be a doorman?

thats the fella..i cdould write a book about the things me and him got upto....more him than me i was just an innocent by stander :hihi::hihi::hihi:

He made me and mi fatha some chips once in the middle of the night and brought em down to top pond where we were fishin. He knows me old man from somewhere.

I 'think' i remember him round at Jimmy Slingsby's house some times as well. Thats going back to when i were a whipper snapper

Lol. What a great nostalgia thread.

Sheffield indeed used to be a brilliant place to shop.

And you would soooo get dressed up for going shopping. We only ever went on the 1.00 bus as it would take us that long to do our hair etc! :hihi:

You'd start off in the market and go to Miss Siama for cheap clothes and the Rebina in the market. Nip into Woolies later the Irish shop- i forget the name but it was a great dept store and one of my best friends worked there - my mum worked at Haymarket BHS then so I'd go in and get spoilt. Then up to C&A to try everything on in Clockhouse (rest was so dowdy!) Then it was off to Rebina proper and to feel brilliant when it was down the side lane on Main street. Walk up a bit and wander round Top shop and Chelsea girl. Sit in the Wimpy and knock on the window to the boys. Sit on fargate and, as the OP says, watch all the breakdancers, bodypopping and skaters. Into Holland and Barratt to buy Perrier as it was so cool to drink water in a bottle. :suspect:

Up to Pippys to laugh at all the weird stuff and then rib your friend she smelt of Patchouli (won't say what we called it!). I never ventured further than Barkers pool under 16. Nip down Leopold street and into The Bead Shop and HMV to browse through the vinyl and wish you'd got the money to go to the concerts as we called them then.

The Moor for me was where rough people shopped until they opened Habitat - sorry!

At this point it would be off home on the 5.15 bus to get ready to go to Silver Blades or babysitting.

My Saturday for about three years until I got a Saturday job in Rotherham.

But then Sats kind of came back with a Sat job in the coolest shop in town at the time - The Body shop when i was 17. :) Rebina was directly opposite and Waterstones next door at that point.

Lol. What a great nostalgia thread.

Sheffield indeed used to be a brilliant place to shop.

And you would soooo get dressed up for going shopping. We only ever went on the 1.00 bus as it would take us that long to do our hair etc! :hihi:

You'd start off in the market and go to Miss Siama for cheap clothes and the Rebina in the market. Nip into Woolies later the Irish shop- i forget the name but it was a great dept store and one of my best friends worked there - my mum worked at Haymarket BHS then so I'd go in and get spoilt. Then up to C&A to try everything on in Clockhouse (rest was so dowdy!) Then it was off to Rebina proper and to feel brilliant when it was down the side lane on Main street. Walk up a bit and wander round Top shop and Chelsea girl. Sit in the Wimpy and knock on the window to the boys. Sit on fargate and, as the OP says, watch all the breakdancers, bodypopping and skaters. Into Holland and Barratt to buy Perrier as it was so cool to drink water in a bottle. :suspect:

Up to Pippys to laugh at all the weird stuff and then rib your friend she smelt of Patchouli (won't say what we called it!). I never ventured further than Barkers pool under 16. Nip down Leopold street and into The Bead Shop and HMV to browse through the vinyl and wish you'd got the money to go to the concerts as we called them then.

The Moor for me was where rough people shopped until they opened Habitat - sorry!

At this point it would be off home on the 5.15 bus to get ready to go to Silver Blades or babysitting.

My Saturday for about three years until I got a Saturday job in Rotherham.

But then Sats kind of came back with a Sat job in the coolest shop in town at the time - The Body shop when i was 17. :) Rebina was directly opposite and Waterstones next door at that point.

the irish shop was dunnes and if my memory is correct they sold a lot of crap clothes lol

i can certainly remember sitting in the peace gardens having purchased bottles of cider, (i think the shop was called international then?) and then the wap and rebels, even when it was called the penthouse. The city centre does look better especially after the hole in the road was filled in, but it doesn't hold the same attraction for me nowadays although West st. live is quite good.

i know around 86 the supermarket across from the peace gardens was presto

memories i have of the 80s

bradleys records

kd records

mattocks butchers

the scoop shop

been chased by the skinheads before and after metal concerts at the city hall:D

So. Do you all remember Rebena shoe shop on the little alley way accross from TJ Hughes where we all used to get our "pointies" and the army surplus shop on the alley at the side of the peace gardens where I used to get some of my "weird" outfits from!

Does anyone also remember the take-away food place in Fitzalan Square next to the Classic Cinema where they used to do massive chip butties, was a god send at 2am.This was the early 80's though guys. No doubt my OH will be contributing to this thread when he arrives plus he has a better memory than me- selective of course. :)

x

I recall Rebina shoes - my sister bought a pair of wicked black ankle boots with suede animal skin turn downs!!! She wouldn't let me borrow them so I nicked them and put them in a bag, got on the 64 bus into Pond st. changed in the toilets and did my make-up (I was 16 and not allowed into pubs) then trotted off to the Marples in fitzallen square - had agood old dance around with Mick the P**** DJ and then across to the mobile food van for onion Bhaji's. Running for the last bus at 11.15 :-) those were the days;)

the scoop shop

Memory blast! Mother used to drag us in there. Rice crispies by the bag full and BRAN!?! We had to have bran in everything, especially beans. 'Keeps you regular' :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Memory blast! Mother used to drag us in there. Rice crispies by the bag full and BRAN!?! We had to have bran in everything, especially beans. 'Keeps you regular' :hihi::hihi::hihi:

where they farmers boy beans 3p a tin from netto or buy one get one free:D