Pre second war query - Brightside area

I am looking for anything on James William Cooper and his wife Martha Ann. They both lived in the Brightside area until 1941 when they both died in that year. They were my paternal grandparents and they may have attended St Thomas's church.

St Thomas is in Wincobank - St margarets is the church on Jenkin Road Brightside. Hope that helps!

St Thomas' was also in Grimesthorpe, Holywell Rd, just up from Upwell St.

St Thomas' was also in Grimesthorpe, Holywell Rd, just up from Upwell St.

Sorry - for some reason I always think of that as Grimesthorpe!:)

Sorry - for some reason I always think of that as Grimesthorpe!:)

Yes it is, but saddly St Thomas' Grimesthorpe is now 'the swamp circus' or some name, but they train circus acts there now.

Thanks for your help. My parents, Thomas Mark Cooper and Hilda Gregory (as she was then) married in 1937 and bought a new house at Gleadless Town End (as it was then) - a big step for a working class couple but a good move as the war came along two years later.

They both spent most of their early years up to getting married in the Grimesthorpe area, my mother was born and lived in Upwell Street with her brother, Harold and her parents, Abraham and Ada Gregory. Sometime pre-1939 they were given a council house on The Oval (Firthpark). My father, Thomas Mark Cooper, is a bit of a mystery. I know the family lived in this area and I have a feeling that they were a church family as he was a choirboy hence my thoughts that they could have attended St Thomas's or, as you point out, St Margarets.

Apologies for boring you with these names but they may ring a bell with someone somewhere and I could gain a little more knowledge of my ancestors.

Incidentally, I live in Brittany now but visit the UK a couple of times a year (children and grandchildren there).

Thanks again for your help.

I am looking for anything on James William Cooper and his wife Martha Ann. They both lived in the Brightside area until 1941 when they both died in that year. They were my paternal grandparents and they may have attended St Thomas's church.
do you have relatives by the name of benbow anywhere in sheffield?

Incidentally, St Thomas's was turned into a circus training area by Anneka Rice in her tv show "Challenge Anneka". This was a show which helped charities etc by changing buildings or areas into something which they wanted to help a group or communities.

I don't know what the church is like now, but when I visited it a few years ago it was looking pretty derilict and overgrown. Shame.

No. I got the web name from Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island"!He had an Admiral Benbow in it. My real name is Brian Cooper.