Oak cakes and Pikelets

I remember when we were kids and the bloke used to come round on his bike with a basket on the front shouting -: ( OAK CAKES AND PICKLETS ) i'm not sure if thats how you spell them, and then there was the other bloke who used to come round on his bike sharpening knives with a grinding wheel on the front and people would come out of there houses with there knives to be sharpened, then there was the walls ice cream man who would walk round the streets with his barrow load of ice cream which he would keep cold with dry ice, if he was around today he would have his barrow took off him.

I remenber the chap with oak cakes & picklets as well we lived at walkley

Can you remember the dairyman who came round with the fresh milk.We drank gallons of the unpasturised milk and it never did us any harm.In fact I think we benefitted from it.Don`t forget the fruit & veg sellers with their horse & carts.

There used to be an oatcake and pikelet shop on Division St in the sixties which made them fresh while you waited, scrumptious!

The best oatcakes and pikelets were made in the shop on Worksop Road - next to the Brittania. Used to have to walk past it after getting off the bus from school when they were making them. Used to rip your guts out smelling them if you had no money - which was often!

There used to be an oatcake and pikelet shop on Division St in the sixties which made them fresh while you waited, scrumptious!

I remember that one well,used to go swimming at glossop road baths and call there on way home, luvly jubbly...............:thumbsup:

The best oatcakes and pikelets were made in the shop on Worksop Road - next to the Brittania. Used to have to walk past it after getting off the bus from school when they were making them. Used to rip your guts out smelling them if you had no money - which was often!
think they called it hazelwoods best in sheffield.

There was an oatcake and pikelet shop right next door to the Wesley Hall Methodist Church on Crookes in the '60s. Before that, the place used to be a Corn Dealers. It's gone now, but nothing was built in its place. You can buy pikelets at Tesco.

The pikelet shop I remember was Moule's in Middlewood Road. It was always very busy, with old John Moule pouring dollops of creamy mixture on to a hotplate in the window, while his wife Gertrude served a constant stream of customers. The shop closed in 1966 when John died.

Just out of curiosity I looked in the 1925 Kelly's directory for pikelet/oatcake/muffin bakers - here's a list:

...Mrs Maria Almey, pikelet baker, 106 Attercliffe Common

...Mrs Lizzie F. Atkin, oatcake maker, 22 South Street

...Ernest W. Axe, muffin baker, 170 Main Road, Darnall

...Thomas Fox, muffin & pikelet baker, 9 Hereford Street

...Mrs Margaret E. Marshall, pikelet baker, 113 Meadow Street

...Mrs Lucy Nicholson, oatcake baker, 79 Nursery Street

...Herbert Taylor, pikelet baker, 493 Penistone Road

Edited by hillsbro

i am glad to see you all call them pikelets a lot of people call them crumpets wronk word.

i am glad to see you all call them pikelets a lot of people call them crumpets wronk word.

I have always called them pikelets but my oh (from down south) gets really annoyed at me and says their crumpets. I am so glad I found this thread as I was begining to think I had imagined them being called pikelets:)