Microsoft word/word processor

can any one reccomend and give me a link to a free word processor, which is as good as mocrosoft word. thanks

Try Open Office. Make sure you save your files so they can be read by Microsoft though. There's heaps of info on the web about Open Office. It's great.

I'm looking for a free word processor too - is it straightforward to convert files to be read in word? And does it affect the appearance of them as this function I will be using primarily to apply for jobs - so I dont want to make the files hard to open or appear unprofessional?

Open Office opens and saves files as Microsoft Office file formats. 90 odd percent of the time there's no difference, I have used OOo for the last 4 or 5 years and not had any issues, I use spreadsheets for invoicing and VAT returns with extensive formulas etc saved as .xls files and no-one has had any compatibility issues when opening them with MS Office. Try it, it's free.

OpenOffice is now closer to Office 2003 in looks than Office 2007 is, which is why so many are using it.

I have just downloaded Open Office. It looks pretty decent so far - however I've opened my CV with it (it was in Word but my trial has expired). To save as standard its an ODF TExt Document - I have tried to save as Word 2003 but it just opens a web browser with a load of junk text (and my cv mixed in). Any tips?

Odd, think that's an error with your PC rather than Open Office. Do you mean you save it fine as .doc but then when you try to open it again it opens it in garbled mode?

As an aside, for the default 'Save As' option, head to Tools > Options and then go down to the Load\Save section and set the default save format for text, spreadsheet and presentations as Word\Excel\Powerpoint 97\2000\XP.

Right click on the icon of your cv.doc, then choose to 'open with' Open Office.

At the moment it will be set to open with a web browser instead of Open Office.

You need to save it as 'Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc)

I think you saved it as an xml file.

Alternatively you can load up Open Office first, then use file --> open, and then browse to where you saved your file. It should open it fine.

Edited by Redyam

Right click on the icon of your cv.doc, then choose to 'open with' Open Office.

At the moment it will be set to open with a web browser instead of Open Office.

You need to save it as 'Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc)

I think you saved it as an xml file.

Alternatively you can load up Open Office first, then use file --> open, and then browse to where you saved your file. It should open it fine.

Im struggling with this aswell.

I have a c.v i have opened in open office. I have clicked on save as and selected microsoft word etc.....but it still saves it as ......docx. Rather than just ......doc So the website im trying upload my c.v. to just keeps sayign the same thing that it needs to be a .doc file.

help.