Anyone come from ..

It's interesting that 'Anyone come from Grimesthorpe' has nearly 7000 posts. Attercliffe and Manor have some, but what about the rest of Sheffield;

Fulwood, Ecclesall, Parson X, Shiregreen and all the other places round and about. What is it about Grimesthorpe that is/was so compelling?

Well said Alligin, I'll second that.

Ok but your answer seems to imply that there are no people from anywhere else on here, which can't be right. I was raised in the Lansdowne/Sharrow area and there were some terrific people there. Are none of them on here?

Ok but your answer seems to imply that there are no people from anywhere else on here, which can't be right.

I don't know where you got that from Minimo, Alligin & I said it was the people that made Grimesthorpe what is was, and that was true, they were ordinary working class people who were very friendly & welcomed everybody & anybody into their community.

I lived at Crookes & Shirecliffe, before moving to Grimey for a short while after marrying a Grimey girl, I noticed that when I moved to those places, people were not as accepting of newcomers as they were in good old Grimey, but I felt as though I had lived in Grimey all my life after moving there.

To see the people from Grimey & the ones that have moved away from the area on the Grimey thread gathering together at reunions has to say something about the kind of people they are, still a friendly bunch of people that value their roots and old friends.

As you rightly say, there are good & nice people everywhere, I'm not disputing that, but I can only think that it may have been because Grimey was a small place compared to Attercliffe & the Cross etc, and that's why people became so close as a community.

Minimo

I think community sums it up. You can live in an area or district but if there is no community then it is faceless and does not conjure up any memories.

I came from Owlerton a group of streets opposite Hillsborough park.

The people who lived in those streets all knew each oher, many families inter marrying which made even close ties.

Living in yards also created a close knit community and once living in these areas you never forget the people there.

I have travelled extensively and in my memory the people I lived amongst as a kid were the salt of the earth.

There wasn't the 'Dog eat Dog' attitude that the likes of Thatcher championed and is prevalent amongst a lot of people today

PopT

Ok but your answer seems to imply that there are no people from anywhere else on here, which can't be right. I was raised in the Lansdowne/Sharrow area and there were some terrific people there. Are none of them on here?
i'm with skippy on this one its the close knit community,lived all my life in grimesthorpe and only joined sheffield forum last year but its as though i never lost touch.it was skippys wife that got the grimesthorpe thread going,so try by putting your own thread on forum you never know you might get some response.best of luck.:thumbsup:

Minimo

I think community sums it up. You can live in an area or district but if there is no community then it is faceless and does not conjure up any memories.

I came from Owlerton a group of streets opposite Hillsborough park.

The people who lived in those streets all knew each oher, many families inter marrying which made even close ties.

Living in yards also created a close knit community and once living in these areas you never forget the people there.

I have travelled extensively and in my memory the people I lived amongst as a kid were the salt of the earth.

There wasn't the 'Dog eat Dog' attitude that the likes of Thatcher championed and is prevalent amongst a lot of people today

PopT

Hi popT, my mum lived on burrowlee road - just opposite hillsborough park. she was called cynthia hall and had a sister, rene and a brother ken .