Hangingwater chipoyle.

Anyone remember the chip shop close to the traffic lights at hangingwater? Used it on a regular basis when I was at Tapton school 68-73,'Tanner's worth of chips and some scratchings please mester!!!!' Great days.

We called 'em scraps, not scratchings

Quite right mate,I stand corrected!!!!!!!!!!!

Before the chinese people took over (@1979) we were often given free scraps even if we didn't buy anything.I think it was called Tung Sing from then on for quite a few years but it was never the same.The new owners didn't seem to like giving things away so when the shop was empty we would run in,pick up an empty Tizer bottle from the rack near the door,hand it over the counter,get the deposit back and spend it on chips.:thumbsup:

Edited by Rocklegend
mistake

Before the chinese people took over (@1979) we were often given free scraps even if we didn't buy anything.I think it was called Tung Sing from then on for quite a few years but it was never the same.The new owners didn't seem to like giving things away so when the shop was empty we would run in,pick up an empty Tizer bottle from the rack near the door,hand it over the counter,get the deposit back and spend it on chips.:thumbsup:

I remember walking down to Hangingwater chippy from Tapton school at lunchtimes to grab a bag of chips. Meant I could put some of my dinner money towards a pack of 10 Sovereign ciggies! The Chinese must have taken it over by the summer of 1977 as I recall the grief they got from us ignorant schoolkids at the time :o

I remember that 'chippie' in 1936,a very good one too. You could buy a pennyworth of chips,and their scollops were great. Good to hear it's still going strong.

We called 'em scraps, not scratchings

We called them scraps as well. Happy days !

Tizer was not as good as Jusoda, in my opinion.

I really am getting homesick now. :sad::wave:

It doesn't look to be there now, I go that way frequently and I haven't seen a chippie.

My memories of the chippie go back to 1960/61 when we would go down there from Nether Green School for chips in a hollowed out Hovis penny loaf !

The bread came from the bakers next door.

We weren't allowed out of School at lunchtime but I remember we could nip over the playground wall into a stream, usually dried out, which ran down to Hangingwater Road, there was a quick climb up over a low wall to the pavement just at the side of the chippy.

On at least one occasion we were nabbed by a teacher and reported for detention or somesuch, Mr Manterfield the deputy head comes to mind as one of the spies.

Happy days

It doesn't look to be there now, I go that way frequently and I haven't seen a chippie.

Just looks like another Chinese takeaway now :(

Late 40s and early 50s the chippy was really put on the map by a chap called Hancock. Very popular with a good business head.He did well enough to buy himself a brand new Jag in metallic pale blue which he proudly parked outside,this was about 1949,he later sold the business and took over the Millstone pub at the top of the Surprise.He made that a great success too, dont know where he went from there.