Real Ale's Pub of the Year

I frequent the KIT but had to laugh on Look North when Dave the barman said that there's always a welcoming smile to greet u when u get served.I take it he wasn't talking about himself...

Does anyone remember the Kelham Island in its former incarnation as The White Hart? My dad used to take me and my brother there to play pool in the upstairs room back in the 1980s and, to say it was a bit of a dive, was putting it mildly.

At one point they hired out the pool room for a heavy metal band to rehearse but still allowed punters to play pool around them - it was a bit inconvenient but at least it muffled the sound of the drunks fighting and glassing each other downstairs.

How times have changed!

I frequent the KIT but had to laugh on Look North when Dave the barman said that there's always a welcoming smile to greet u when u get served.I take it he wasn't talking about himself...

Well, Dave does get service with a smile... And to be fair when he is serving others he smiles whilst insulting them...

Edited by Andy C

A great pub, matched only by the Sheaf View in my eyes. well done Sheffield.

Yes, good to see the national winner in Sheffield. The Kelham is a great pub and ticks all the boxes - excellent and varied beer range kept in top condition, good friendly staff, a good cross section of customers who will chat to each other and help create a great atmosphere, consumer and community friendly, clean and well presented and a nice outdoor area.

The Kelham was voted the Sheffield winner by local CAMRA members and it was then put forward as Sheffield's entry, which then won the Yorkshire competion and the rounds beyond that too. From county level upwards pubs are judged by mystery shoppers judging the pub against set criteria.

Now the 2008 award is presented, the search now begins for a 2009 winner. First of all the Sheffield & District branch of CAMRA need to select their entry in the Yorkshire competition and Derbyshire competition. If you are a member of the local CAMRA branch you will receive a voting paper through the post in the next few days (along with an invite to the branch AGM). Eligible pubs are those that have won a pub of the month award and those in the Good Beer Guide.

The pubs in the running for 2009 Sheffield & District pub of the year are...:

Anglers Rest, Millers Dale

Bath Hotel, Sheffield Centre

Bridge, Calver

Carlton, Attercliffe

Cheshire Cheese, Hope

Coach & Horses, Dronfield

Cobden View, Crookes

Commercial, Chapeltown

Cricket Inn, Totley

Devonshire Cat, Sheffield Centre

Fagans, Sheffield Centre

Fat Cat, Kelham Island

Fox & Duck, Broomhill

Grouse, Longshaw

Harlequin, Sheffield Centre

Hillsborough Hotel

Jolly Farmer, Dronfield Woodhouse

Kelham Island Tavern

Millstone Inn, Hathersage

Monsal Head Hotel

New Barrack Tavern, Hillsborough

Plough, Low Bradfield

Queen Anne Inn, Great Hucklow

Ranmoor Inn

Rawson Spring, Hillsborough

Red Deer, Sheffield Centre

Red Lion, Sheffield Centre

Red Lion, Litton

Rising Sun, Fulwood

Royal Hotel, Dungworth

Sheaf View, Heeley

Three Tuns, Sheffield Centre

Union, Nether Edge

University Arms, Sheffield Centre

Walkley Cottage

Wellington, Shalesmoor

White Lion, Heeley

Wig & Pen, Sheffield Centre

Hmmm, let's guess the winner...

Hmmm, let's guess the winner...

to right . been in nice pub .but find it very clickie ..well done tho :thumbsup:

Item about the pub on Look North between now and 7

Hope they don't refer to it as being in Leeds

Yes I saw that item on Look North at Glenville's House. Really I should have been at the Oakwood Real Ale Festival.

Gz to Kelham Island pub and to the runners up as Sheffield had quite a few entries let's not forget all the other real ale pub who lost not because they weren't as good but because Kelham Island was simply better. Good stuff!

Has anybody been here recently? The CAMRA National Club of the year is in Yorkshire as well.