Would you report someone ??

Would you report someone on benefits for turning down a job ?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you report someone on benefits for turning down a job ?

• Yes i would !! everyone should work given the opportunity.
    • No i wouldn't let them scrounge if thats what they want.
    • Not bothered either way.

You ought to mind your own bloody business,live and let live.

Obviously a benefits cheat yourself :thumbsup:

Before you start getting high and mighty " I have copies of e mails sent to my friend that categorically state that they would not take the job because it would affect their benefits" In my opinion this person should be reported as they have turned down an offer of a full time job that would suit their needs and I as a tax payer am paying part of the persons benefits... :mad:

Maybe I am missing something here, but if someone is offered a full time job and refuses it, aren't the JSA supposed to be informed? In otherwords, it isn't your responsibility to inform on anyone, as the authorities should already know?

Or maybe I am being charmingly naive.

Then again, I have turned down jobs before when I was claiming benefit. I am not sure you have to take the first thing that is flung at you, unless your reach a certain point (e.g. 12 weeks) I decided to stick out for a well paid a year job all those years ago, rather than take the offer of a meat packer in a local factory on minimum wage. I like to think my choice benefited the tax payer in the long run.

Maybe I am missing something here, but if someone is offered a full time job and refuses it, aren't the JSA supposed to be informed? In otherwords, it isn't your responsibility to inform on anyone, as the authorities should already know?

Or maybe I am being charmingly naive.

Nope. If I were to say to you in the pub "Here's a job for you, and I'll pay correctly ..... blah blah blah.", and you said "No. I'm not taking it.", I'd be under absolutely no obligation as the prospective employer to inform anyone of the offer.

Again, one is assuming that JSA is the benefit in question too ......

Then again, I have turned down jobs before when I was claiming benefit. I am not sure you have to take the first thing that is flung at you, unless your reach a certain point (e.g. 12 weeks) I decided to stick out for a well paid a year job all those years ago, rather than take the offer of a meat packer in a local factory on minimum wage. I like to think my choice benefited the tax payer in the long run.

Yup, that's pretty much right, but even after the 13 week period, the ruling is that all 'reasonable' jobs should be sought. So even after the point when you can restrict what you want to do, you're not expected to sweep the streets because 'that's what you have to do'.

There seems to be a dangerous trend of thought on this thread that Job Seekers claiming unemployment benefit (JSA) are to be spied upon and information regarding their job seeking behaviour passed to the authorities as a matter of civic duty.

Are we living in the Soviet Union or Brown's Britain? As a rule of thumb, only snitch to the KGB if a criminal act has been committed (even then tread with caution). Or if you can prevent a dangerous situation.

As a matter of responsibility, it is your duty to protect the state and to report subversion. Suspicion breeds confidence!

There seems to be a dangerous trend of thought on this thread that Job Seekers claiming unemployment benefit (JSA) are to be spied upon and information regarding their job seeking behaviour passed to the authorities as a matter of civic duty.

Are we living in the Soviet Union or Brown's Britain? As a rule of thumb, only snitch to the KGB if a criminal act has been committed (even then tread with caution). Or if you can prevent a dangerous situation.

As a matter of responsibility, it is your duty to protect the state and to report subversion. Suspicion breeds confidence!

Crikey, with your moniker and the content of your posts, I was just wondering what your agenda is? :confused::)

And whilst we're at it, benefit cheats deserve to be reported, because they have their hands in my wallet and wife's purse, just as sure as a mugger does. It's called theft. We work too blooming hard to have it stolen, as I've said before on similar threads. Anyone who wants to keep idle blighters sat on their backsides (and just to clarify, I do not include the honestly needy here) can set up a fund and pay for them out of their own pockets. Then everyone's happy, yes?

Lets not get away from that. :)

Edited by perplexed

i agree with Klarity - it wouldn't have an impact to report them but DO report scammers anyday! i believe this because i scammed for a short while and got caught and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I got back into work and realised i enjoyed it and wasn't scared anymore (they usually are inside). All the crap that the people i thought were friends at the time said, wasn't true - it wan't me against the state, it was me against the better me. it changed my outlook, my bank account, my confidence and my relationship and hugely affected my future for the better. i have currently paid tons of tax back (way more than i had) and am proud of it! it's soooo much better, and i'm now helping others in my work, telling them the same story.