Car Supermarkets

Motorpoint seems like an excellent car supermarket!

I suppose it's too good to be true though:

54 Reg corsa, £6000??

Brand new golf 1.6 FSI 10000???

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk

Carcraft do not just have issues with the finance department.

I went about 18 months ago to look at a specific car that they said was their (on the phone). For a start it wasn't there and never had been.

So I had a look at another car. I spent most of an hour trying to get a price out of the salesman. He would not tell me how much the car was and I still to this day don't know.

Everytime I asked he came back with some variation on "how much do you want to pay every month". Even after I told him that I had no intentions of even going near their credit deals and that I would pay by bankers draft.

I left frustrated after we'd gone round in this circle for an hour and he'd even tried bringing his boss in to ask the same question.

It should be illegal to not put a screen price on something that's for sale.

I've bought from direct cars, completely different experience to carcraft. More like a large independant garage than the pushy supermarket style.

If you're definitely after a 'new to you' car the best policy is to have the cash readily available. Before setting out to buy get yourself a bank loan either from your own bank or somewhere like the RAC or AA. Typical APR for a £5k loan over three years is around 6.5%, - quite a bit less than you'll get from a motor factor, - and it avoids all the hassle.

Don't fall for the extended warranty schemes. You should expect to get one year's warranty on a car less than two years old, which is plenty of time for any major fault to show up. If one does get an independent assessment, AA or RAC, of the work required to fix it.

If you have problem with the sales team just walk in walk pass them ignoring them and pretend they are not there until you are ready to talk to one.

How do you find Sheffield's airport?

Just follow the signs to Carcraft!

I would echo everyone elses feelings about Carcraft; I went once and they were ridiculously pushy! While wondering how I was going to get out of there without signing on the dotted line, my phone rang. It was my friend Louisa asking what plans were for that evening; she was very confused when I started saying 'Never! That's terrible! Do you need me to come straight away?' :D I told the salesman she'd flooded her house and left sharpish.... :D

There is a use for car craft though. If you are unsure of which car you want and don't want to trail round all the dealers showrooms induvidually. You can go there and look at many different cars. You know see how much boot space there is and if you can sit in the back comfortably etc. Then go onto auto trader and find the one you want as a private sale. Worked for me:thumbsup:

I've had experience of both Direct Cars and Motorpoint in Derby and they are both decent companies to buy from. Completely different animal from the Carcraft/Yes type of place.

As a rule of thumb, if it advertises heavily on daytime TV then you're gonna get screwed ......