Another shop to close in Broomhill

Don't worry another Tesco will pop up round here sooner or later.

What always puzzled me about Somerfield, and indeed the Somerfield on Eccy road is that while half the shelves were empty there always seemed to be at least half of the employees (usually just kids) outside the store smoking and having a laugh.

It went downhill after it was INTERNATIONAL.....the' orange' supermarket chain....whatever happened to them?

It went downhill after it was INTERNATIONAL.....the' orange' supermarket chain....whatever happened to them?

Wow, I only just remember the one I had back home, then it became Gateway and then Somerfield. Can't see that one ever shutting down as there's nothing else actually in my old town, it even chased away the Tescos which was more of a shame as it'd been there my whole life.

Looks like the shop closures in Broomhill are gathering pace. Somerfield's has now shut, as has the Your Nuts shop. Also gone is Sarah's florists, which has closed its Broomhill branch to concentrate on its shop in Hillsborough.

So, the supermarket is changing owners and you haven't bothered to note the new shops which have recently opened, like the convenience store. So, not exactly a growing problem.

Businesses come, businesses go, it's in the nature of things.

A bit of a mess along that top end by Oxfam, regarding the space left by the old wholefood shop their window is advertising for a manager and staff for the new juice bar so hopefully won't be too long before that area is looking much more inviting.

Well, it seems that Your Nuts is reopening soon as...Your Nuts! Very odd...I wonder why they decided to reopen and not go for the juicebar after all ...

The aromatherapy shop, which has only been open for about five minutes, has shut for a week, presumably while they go on holiday.

I think there is a good mix of shops and cafes in broomhill, thats what makes it so nice

Mixed bag in Broomhill. There have been a lot of closures but some new ones opening too.

Twinkle Toes shoe shop has just opened, as has Think Aromatherapy and there is a new coffee shop called S10 opening up next week.

Losing Trio, Cipolla and one or two others is a shame but Broomhill is still doing ok.

Broomhill still seems to prosper to a degree. Charity and coffee shop central. Although my understanding is that some of the landlords have increased rent on the shops which has accelerated some of the shops demise.

Are there any hairdressers left in Broomhill any more? Hair salons seem to have been hit worst by the recession across the country and overseas; I was in Dublin some months ago and saw that 3 hair salons in the same street had closed...

Are there any hairdressers left in Broomhill any more? Hair salons seem to have been hit worst by the recession across the country and overseas; I was in Dublin some months ago and saw that 3 hair salons in the same street had closed...

There are at least 3, probably a lot more.

I see that the milk shake establishment, the Shake Club, also closed its doors at the end of last week. Maybe this isn't a great surprise: students away for Christmas and sub-zero temperatures for about a month might have had something to do with it.