Lodgemoor Hospital - polio treatment centre?

Anyone happen to know whether Lodgemoor Hospital was used as a polio treatment and recovery centre just after the war....late 40s?

My dad contracted polio just after the war. I was very young then but I'm sure I remember visiting him with my mother at the gates of Lodgemoor Hospital. He came out to see us and we went for a short walk.

Can't imagine I'd make the gist of this up. Possible that I got the hospital confused though. But I don't think so.

Look forward to responses.

Hi My Mum worke dthere as a nurse and treated TB & Polio Patients

I can confirm Lodge Moor Hospital did treat polio victims because I nursed them in the 50s and 60s. There were two patients in 'iron lungs', Iris and Dennis, and sharing a ward on Central 1 with them was Peter, who could walk and get about, but came in for respite, I believe it was, periodically.

I recall the isolation ward being to the right of the main building at the top of the yard (car park). If you entered the bottom main door, you had the North Wards which went away to the left. of the Medical Records office. There was a large corridor which went right up the 'spine' (sorry!) of the hospital. Half way up, to the left were the Central Wards which went off in pairs C1, C2 etc.

There were ante-rooms as well eg Chapel, porters' room, x-ray dept. cafeteria on the right, Occupational Therapy, theatre etc.

The Spinal Wards were at the top South 1 down to S6 with the wards going off to the right down South corridor, and the gym and sports hall were near the top to the right. Outside was the helicopter pad and the sports field. There was also a house around the perimeter road where relatives from far-afield could stay.

WoW to remember in this much detail you must have worked there. I worked there from 1980 to 1986 the matron (or nursing officer) was Miss Metcalf I worked for Sister Cutler, there were some right characters in nursing then theres just no fun anymore!!!

WoW to remember in this much detail you must have worked there. I worked there from 1980 to 1986 the matron (or nursing officer) was Miss Metcalf I worked for Sister Cutler, there were some right characters in nursing then theres just no fun anymore!!!

Ms Interpret.

Sadly, the lovely Chairboy passed away about two and a half years ago. (Jan 2010)

He was a wealth of knowledge, and was always a wonderful contributor to any thread.

Ms Interpret.

Sadly, the lovely Chairboy passed away about two and a half years ago. (Jan 2010)

He was a wealth of knowledge, and was always a wonderful contributor to any thread.

So sorry... didnt realise it was such an old thread I would have liked to have chatted with him

Edited by Ms Interpret
removed a word

My father mike kelly spent most of his early life in both king edwards and lodge oor he was a polio victim but was all so a paraplegic through it. He is still with us so would be able to help with any enquiries any one as. He met my mum at one of the too she nursed him.

Hi, is your father Mike Kelly the athlete in the paraplegic games? If it is, I was in King Edwards with him in the 1950, would love to know how he is.

Denboy5

There was certainly a long drive and a long perimeter drive around Lodge Moor Hospital. The 51 bus used to stop right at the bottom of the drive - the stop back to town had a café next to it. After alighting, the 51 bus went down the hill and reversed by the POW camp, coming back up to park by the café. Wyming Brook is further down that very road but was a limited service. There was also the famous Clock Tower landmark at LMH.

The first junction (Crosspool-bound) is the golf course at Lodge Lane (which goes down to Manchester Road and then across to King Edward V11 on Rivelin Valley Road. The first right is Blackbrook Road, which at that time, had little on except for the Uni labs.

I can't be sure about the polio, DIDO seems to support that view but WALT says he had polio and was in LMH so he should know.

http://walterwildgoose.blogspot.com/2005/08/diphtheria-and-lodge-moor-isolation.html

The person writing this blog, ignore some spellings, confirms he was taken to LMH with poliomyelitis - thus, I think the answer is YES! http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=693&mode=linear

My mum had lodge moor cafe 1972 to 1973 when I left school,I served in both the cafe area and the shop,had more than my fair share of sweets!!

I was a student nurse from 1967 and there were two polio victims then. One man, Dennis, was in an iron lung...he was lovely. The second man was on a rocking bed and not as disabled as Dennis. Both men were very friendly and I loved nursing them. I wish I could trace some of my nursing friends from that time...especially my best friend Sue Moss who I have sadly lost contact with now.

Edited by Nurse20

I was a student nurse from 1967 and there were two polio victims then. One man, Dennis, was in an iron lung...he was lovely. The second man was on a rocking bed and not as disabled as Dennis. Both men were very friendly and I loved nursing them. I wish I could trace some of my nursing friends from that time...especially my best friend Sue Moss who I have sadly lost contact with now.

Nurse20, many thanks for the information you posted, I knew quite a few nurses at Lodge Moor and, King Edward VII hospitals in the late sixties as I was a patient there, I believe it was the Sheffield number 3 hospital management committee in those days, thanks again, denboy5

Nurse20, many thanks for the information you posted, I knew quite a few nurses at Lodge Moor and, King Edward VII hospitals in the late sixties as I was a patient there, I believe it was the Sheffield number 3 hospital management committee in those days, thanks again, denboy5

Hello and thank you for your message denboy5. Lodge Moor Hospital holds many happy memories for me but also some sad ones too. Because it was an isolation hospital the patients often were long or very long term patients and it was very easy to get attached to them. It is such a pity that the hospital is no more. I remember the glass cubicles in which the very infectious patients were placed and the training for the nurses at that time was so strict. We were not allowed to call each other by our Christian names when on duty...it was Nurse Holmes or Nurse Moss etc. oh.....and the matron......she was very fare but how we feared her. They were the days.

his name was Dennis Atkins For many years he had his own room at LodgeMoor and his own room at King edwards He used to spend time in each for a change of scenery like a holiday He was the longest survivor in an iron lung until he died not that long ago and passed that title to John Prestwich who spent most of his time in the LANE fox unit in ST thomas' hospital London Iron lungs are still very much in use today in the LANE Fox unit and in the Papworth Hospital

Hello and thank you for your message denboy5. Lodge Moor Hospital holds many happy memories for me but also some sad ones too. Because it was an isolation hospital the patients often were long or very long term patients and it was very easy to get attached to them. It is such a pity that the hospital is no more. I remember the glass cubicles in which the very infectious patients were placed and the training for the nurses at that time was so strict. We were not allowed to call each other by our Christian names when on duty...it was Nurse Holmes or Nurse Moss etc. oh.....and the matron......she was very fare but how we feared her. They were the days.

Hello again, Memories, and in the days before this strange thing called M.S.R. Damp dusting with disinfectant in those days, and, yes, nurses had respect on the wards for each other, respect for the senior staff, oh, those hospital corners, it was difficult to turn over in bed, nevertheless, a military operation, and ran like clockwork, why can't it be like that now?

I had polio, and was in the isolation ward at Lodge Moor, then on Central 3, later transferred to King Teds for a while. it saddens me when i drive past Rivelin nowadays, I glance, and reminisce at how it used to be.

Many thanks for your reply.

denboy5