Lodgemoor Hospital - polio treatment centre?

I spent time in logemoor when i had shingles and had relapsed the second time with leukaemia, i was under a Dr lillyman at the sheffield childrens hospital i was 8 years old in 1980, i was left parlized on the left side of my face.

Thank you

Noticing that Iron Lungs have been mentioned:-

Wasn't the chap who was the longest survivor living in an Iron Lung in Lodge Moor?

Noticing that Iron Lungs have been mentioned:-

Wasn't the chap who was the longest survivor living in an Iron Lung in Lodge Moor?

what was his name i think he was in st thomas's hospital (lane fox unit) with my dad (M Kelly) at some point, it rings a bell cant think of his name

I cant remember his name, I'm sorry...

My dealings with Lodge Moor Hospital were more in the spinal-unit section, as I had many friends with Spinal injuries and conditions like Spina Bifida.

I was in Lodge Moor as a teenager for chest problems - there were about 12 beds on the ward- I was the youngest all the others were very elderly ladies. They used to push the beds out of the double doors so we could get some fresh air.

My nan spent time in isolation at Lodge Moor hospital in the 1920s, when she was a child (scarlet fever, I think. She seemed to have every childhood illness going) and recalls that during one of her stays (when she was about 5) she was handed a baby, who was presumably suffering the same illness as my nan, and told by the nurses to tell them if/when the baby stopped breathing. A terrible responsibility to place on such a young child. She also remembers having to spend Christmas in there, and only being able to look at her parents through some glass.

Also, my great grandmother died in Lodge Moor three days before my 1st birthday and I have a photograph of her in there, holding me (which I find strange because I didn't think babies were allowed to visit patients in hospital). Apparently she could never get to sleep there due to the endless orgies she insisted the doctors and nurses were having at night. :hihi: (hallucinations. She was also convinced there was water gushing down all the walls).

Our youngest son was in Lodge Moor Isolation Unit in 1976/77, he'd been transferred from the Childrens Hospital as their isolation unit was full at the time. I certainly remember leaving him screaming his head off whilst looking at mum & dad leaving him, the room was all glass so he could see us leaving. When we went down the long drive to the bus stop the driver shouted that we'd better hurry up as it was the last bus into town because it was snowing and the Lodge Moor Hospital bus was being taken off, it was the longest journey of my life and tear stained too.

I seem to recall the cases who were in the unit where he was were spina bifida, I don't remember any polio cases then but, I suspect in the earlier years Lodge Moor Hospital would have been an ideally placed hospital due to the isolation.

In 1973 I was in King Edwards when I contracted viral pnumonia. I was rushed up to the isolation ward at Lodge moor. I remember a single bedroom with a window that the nurses used to open to put food etc through. As I recovered I was allowed to walk around the corridor and saw 3 or 4 people in iron lungs in other isolation rooms.

Our youngest son was in Lodge Moor Isolation Unit in 1976/77, he'd been transferred from the Childrens Hospital as their isolation unit was full at the time. I certainly remember leaving him screaming his head off whilst looking at mum & dad leaving him, the room was all glass so he could see us leaving. When we went down the long drive to the bus stop the driver shouted that we'd better hurry up as it was the last bus into town because it was snowing and the Lodge Moor Hospital bus was being taken off, it was the longest journey of my life and tear stained too.

I seem to recall the cases who were in the unit where he was were spina bifida, I don't remember any polio cases then but, I suspect in the earlier years Lodge Moor Hospital would have been an ideally placed hospital due to the isolation.

That brought memories back. I was in lodgemoor isolation unit in around 72-73 with hepatitis. My friend who lived across the road was in also and i remember when i got taken in they wheeled her bed into the next cubicle so we could see each other and talk through the glass.

Your post brought back memories because i remember my mum coming to see me and screaming my head off when i could see her leaving from my bed. As you say glass cubicles. Mum was so heartbroken she could not bring herself to visit again. It was a very upsetting time as i was only about 10 and all my friends at school had sent gifts and cards etc but when i came out they all had to be burnt due to risk of infection. We were well cared for though.

Lodge moor was definitely a hospital that treated polio victims who were in the virul stage as it was so infectious and facilities for infectious diseases were very good My late husband (Michael Kelly) was taken there when he first contracted polio He was put temporarily into an iron lung next to Dennis atkins who was originally the longest surviving polio in an iron lung My husband and a couple of other paraplegics helped buy Dennis a vehicle that would house an iron lung so that he could travel about and see his old haunts from his pre-polio years The other long survivor was John Prestwich who was in St Thomas's hospital in London He died recently Iron lungs are still very much in use in St thomas's and in the Papworth hospital Theu have been a lifeline for so many for such a long time Dennis Atkins used to have a fotrnight's holiday would you believe at King edwards every year before he got his vehicle just to give him a change of scenery My husband was an avid sportsman with Lodge moor who were world class We used to have many social evenings up there where we would always fetch Dennis to participate Iron lun and all He loved his pint and his pork pie Happy days

I was in Lodgemoor for 16 weeks in 1951 with para-typhoid.

Wonder what that is ?

paratyphoid is a less serious case of typhoid Itgives thesame symptoms It is a form of salmonellawithh sickness fever and diarrhoea

:):)