Lodgemoor Hospital - polio treatment centre?

Now I'm real confused trying on earth google to retrace my Lodge moor steps fm Blackbrook rd always had it in mind it was one rd, POW camp ,hospital,caves and on to wyming brook,so just what rd was Lodge Moor on

Flyer: Caves? Wasn't aware there was any limestone in that area that would enable caves to form. I used to do a lot of caving in my younger days -around Castleton in the Peak District. Never heard of any caves around Wymin Bk. Were they caves or abandoned mines of some sort?

I was treated for polio in Lodge Moor Hospital in 1955. At that time it was an isolation hospital. I well remember being peered at through a glass cubicle, even though I was only 5 years old. Later I learned from my mother that you were given a number, and if your parents could not visit you, they could check your condition which was reported in the Sheffield Star each night.

Hi Walt, my sister Susan passed away in Lodge Moor in the early 40s I think (well before I was born). She had a brain tumour, but I was told that as it was an isolation hospital, my parents were not allowed to have back the books and dolls they had taken to her during her illness because of the danger of infection. On another note, I remember in the 60s sitting in a shelter at the bottom of the hospital drive for an hour with pencils and a colouring book while my parents visited my elderly grandmother. I can't remember what the problem was, but I do know I was only about 10. Interestingly, my youngest child was also hospitalised there suffering from enteritis when he was a baby in 1977 and the glass partitions were still in place then!

I recall the isolation ward being to the right of the main building at the top of the yard (car park). If you entered the bottom main door, you had the North Wards which went away to the left. of the Medical Records office. There was a large corridor which went right up the 'spine' (sorry!) of the hospital. Half way up, to the left were the Central Wards which went off in pairs C1, C2 etc.

There were ante-rooms as well eg Chapel, porters' room, x-ray dept. cafeteria on the right, Occupational Therapy, theatre etc.

The Spinal Wards were at the top South 1 down to S6 with the wards going off to the right down South corridor, and the gym and sports hall were near the top to the right. Outside was the helicopter pad and the sports field. There was also a house around the perimeter road where relatives from far-afield could stay.

Flyer: Caves? Wasn't aware there was any limestone in that area that would enable caves to form. I used to do a lot of caving in my younger days -around Castleton in the Peak District. Never heard of any caves around Wymin Bk. Were they caves or abandoned mines of some sort?

Yes rog big ring of caves in that area(or was) would have made perfect setting for movie got my nose smashed fooling around jumping out while my bro' was throwing stones at one of the caves to keep me in peeked out at the wrong time, so long ago the only thing i remember was its on the right, way past the Hospital took my wife there before we got married great spot:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes rog big ring of caves in that area(or was) would have made perfect setting for movie got my nose smashed fooling around jumping out while my bro' was throwing stones at one of the caves to keep me in peeked out at the wrong time, so long ago the only thing i remember was its on the right, way past the Hospital took my wife there before we got married great spot:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'll look into that when I visit Sheffield this Aug, flyer. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll look into that when I visit Sheffield this Aug, flyer. Thanks for the heads up.

Hi roger twud seem lots around that area but as yet not found pics of the ones I'm on about:thumbsup:

Polio patients were definately treated there around 1955 ,I had an uncle who contracted polio when he was 16 and spent I think around 18 months up there.His name was Tommy Hague the virus left him with a paralised arm,he spent all his life living on parson cross looking after his dog and other animals until his death on boxing day 1977.If anyone remembers him it would be good to hear from you .

My late grandfather spent some time in Lodge Moor Hospital and I recall going to see him in 1988. There seemed to be endless corridors and certainly a spooky feeling about the place.

I knew one of the nurses who worked in the spinal injuries unit too and I recall the disbelief which followed the announcement of its closure. It rivalled Stoke Manderville for facilities (or so I was told).

The tower is now a private residence. If you can handle the stairs it must be a quite impressive accommodation. (My eldest daughter's friend lives there!)

Ok rog I'm back, after seaching that area I wonder if I'm talking Robin Hoods Cave,not to far for a pair young legs

My late grandfather spent some time in Lodge Moor Hospital and I recall going to see him in 1988. There seemed to be endless corridors and certainly a spooky feeling about the place.

I knew one of the nurses who worked in the spinal injuries unit too and I recall the disbelief which followed the announcement of its closure. It rivalled Stoke Manderville for facilities (or so I was told).

The tower is now a private residence. If you can handle the stairs it must be a quite impressive accommodation. (My eldest daughter's friend lives there!)

It was certainly a very close second to Stoke Mandeville! I have a lot of friends who were treated there (whether for accidents, Guillain Barre or Spina Bifida) I was appalled at the Spinal unit's closure at a fabulous, flat site with the fantastic views over the countryside and its move to a very hilly site at NGH (as lovely as the new building is...)

My father mike kelly spent most of his early life in both king edwards and lodge oor he was a polio victim but was all so a paraplegic through it. He is still with us so would be able to help with any enquiries any one as. He met my mum at one of the too she nursed him.

Edited by rkelly

My father mike kelly spent most of his early life in both king edwards and lodge oor he was a polio victim but was all so a paraplegic through it. He is still with us so would be able to help with any enquiries any one as. He met my mum at one of the too she nursed him.

Mike Kelly, thats a blast from the past. I was in King Edwards with him.