Lodgemoor Hospital - polio treatment centre?

Apparently all polio victims were taken to Lodge Moor, so the extent of their problem could be assesed. Also Lodge moor was the only hospital with Iron Lungs.

All the people were first put in isolation, and then they were transfered to the Observation unit at King Edwards, before moved onto the main wards.

Thats right. Patients with polio were taken to Lodge Moor Hospital in the acute (and infectious) stage where they were put in isolation. When they were over the acute stage, they were transferred to King Edwards Orthopaedic Hospital for assessment of what may have been quite severe effects of the disease,

rogG - have you had a look on picturesheffield.com for those gates and hospital?

an aerial photo of the area from google maps may help you get your bearings, or an online map from OS

To all the above: thanks for your help. There's a photo of the entrance of LMH on that web site. Admittedly the photos are old ones. But that entrance with the rounded corner on the RHS as you look at it definitely strikes a cord. On the other hand the online photos I've seen of King Edwards don't ring any bells. So, I'm about 90% sure that it was at the gates of LMH where my I met my dad, who had his arm contained in some kind of cage or strapping device (?). But how can I be absolutely sure of a memory that goes so far bk when I was not much more than a toddler? A further clue: I remember him recollecting that there were iron lungs in his hospital, which fits in with Dido's comment.

When I come to visit Sheffield I'll take a walk around the trail we went on through Wymin Bk. I seem to remember it was a popular walk.

I started off this thread by asking the question as to whether LMH housed polio victims There's not much doubt that the answer is "yes."

I also spent time at LMH in the 60s. My GP thought I had an infectious disease. So I remember those little windows where the visitors could talk to you in the segregated ward that I occupied . I was misdiagnosed, fell into a coma, transferred to the Northern General where I was successfully treated for a medicinal drug allergy.

Ah the memories.

have a good day everyone.

I spent six weeks in isolation at Lodgemoor when I had scarlet fever as a child.

Does anyone remember the room where they took you to choose clothes that you could wear when you were getting better?

I think lodgemoor was the main isolation hospital and they did have polio patients.

I read only yesterday that scarlet fever cases are increasing rapidly which seems unbelievable these days.

Mention of the iron lungs made me wonder if they are still in use, or what is the modern alternative.

Mention of the iron lungs made me wonder if they are still in use, or what is the modern alternative.

I think they now use ventilators

Don't know about UK Minimo but some polio survivors in the US still on iron lungs

http://historical.hsl.virginia.edu/ironlung/pg9.cfm

Newer versions of i. lung a bit less cumbersome but still limiting to patient's lifestyle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_lung

Thanks for those links, I always thought what an awful life it must have been for them to be trapped in those things, but better than the alternative perhaps.

Time & miles mean nothing to a kid even at 4 we would wander for miles,on our odd free day from Fullwood Homes I remember walking down and past (with a chat)to the P.O.Ws past Lodge moor into the caves on the right and on to wyming-brook I've no idea what distance that would be ,had to be a fair way,I wonder if the mums of today would kick their kids out at sunup with a get home before its to dark(chunk of bread in your back pocket)

Now I'm real confused trying on earth google to retrace my Lodge moor steps fm Blackbrook rd always had it in mind it was one rd, POW camp ,hospital,caves and on to wyming brook,so just what rd was Lodge Moor on

Now I'm real confused trying on earth google to retrace my Lodge moor steps fm Blackbrook rd always had it in mind it was one rd, POW camp ,hospital,caves and on to wyming brook,so just what rd was Lodge Moor on

Redmires Road

Lodge Moor Hospital

Records held by Sheffield Archives

Address - Redmires Road, Sheffield S10 4LH

Foundation Year 1888

Closed 1995

thanks ,back to earth google