P.W.D Painters

can anybody remember dickie davis at shirecliffe college use to teach calculations.

how many rolls to paper a room,hehad a knotch in his pen knife blade told us he cut through a electri cable and how lucky he was to be alive.

we use to take it in turns every lesson to ask about his knife.never got any work done

thats why im proberbly always a roll short

My Dad worked for the P.W.D. all His life ( Tiny Grimwood ) and died because of them, asbestosis from wire brushing the asbestos gutters and drain pipes before painting them with yes green bitcho.

Anybody remember Peter Burgin, worked there in think it was the late 50's easrly 60's ? Moved to Weights and Measures dept then Housing after that.

Hey up smudge, remember the strikes well had to go on parkhill painting front doors with old signwriter Len.

does anybody remember those two gets in the bonus office brian coddington and steve pitts tight as arseholes and then there was another one with very short trousers the beearst i think they called him under the nose sweet as a rose

ay up lads nice to read threads ,brings back good and bad mems.I started at worthing rd as a joiner,72 main gaffer big fat git with a bigger mouth,think his name was pete dont know last name,everybody called him egg on legs,do you remember your numbers to get wages from van,easy mine 2888,I also worked in town hall remember joiners shop there and the old joiner that worked in it think he was born there seemed to view all new comers with suspicion.and city library jioners shop again nice old chap stan bates all lads called him master took me ages to work it out wet behined ears then,and college thought chip butties and a pint at timbertop best and somedays just stopping in and having several

I worked there for a few weeks in the early 50s but the gaffer gave me the sack because some councilor came along said i was an idle b****r because I was stood holding the ladder in case somebody walked into it. He didn't bother to look to see if there was a bloke up the ladder. I started on my own after that and went to Blackpool every winter working on B&Bs while the landladies went off to Spain. It was marvelous, slept in a different bed every night all free of course.

Gaffer big fat git with big mouth was Pete Archibould, remember when someone he upset poured battery acid all over his car!

I remember workin with Ronnie Mate when I was a lad and him sending me to shop to get him his copy of Forum, funny because they had always selt out! Does anybody remember Johnny Toogood?

I worked with a painter called 'Toogood' but not for the PWD.

I seem to remember working with him on Hallam Towers when it was built ,the painting company was a Nottingham outfit.

Did Johny Toogood used to be involved with wrestling?

I have cousin who used to paint for the PWD Ken Glaves

hiya lads, i stumbled on this thread quite by accident, but as the saying goes it brings back great memories. i started painting in 1977 on Bert Abbeys gang on the woodthorpe estate, i think the supervisor was either Albert Scatchard or Albert Cooke. I still see one or two of the painters now and again and one or two of the "gaffers" last saw Alan Staniforth i think last year.

i worked with Drakey (can't remember his first name) for a while, that was an education. Pete Day was on that gang then, and Ian Taylor but i can't remember the names of anyone else.