School dinners , what was your favourite?

Cheese flan & chips I think was my favourite main course. School custard was luvverly - the dinner ladies used to save any left overs, and my friend & I used to drink it - yummmm.

fridays fish chips white sauce. SWEET.chocolate pudding and chocolate sauce 1952 TO 1956 SOUTHY GREEN

I finished having school dinners when I was about nine and used to come home for lunch then. Could not tell you the best but the worse pudding was semolina which looked uncannily like wallpaper paste

i loved the paes you could put somebodys eye out at thirty feet and the custard was to die for you could carve it in to any shape you wanted

The Cheese and Rice Croquettes were absolutely ACE. I actually really miss them!

I loved the cheese pie, too, but did your schools serve yours with tinned tomatoes and chips? My school did, and that combiation was lovely!!!

Puddings:- I detested a shortbread-y biscuit-y thing that they used to serve topped with caramel. You needed a hammer and chisel to get into that!!! :gag:

I did love the chocolate custard, (was not quite so keen on the pink custard, but it was fun, occasionally, on the coconut and jam sponge we would get served.

My memories of school dinners involve a hearty, jolly rotund cook, (Of the "Dawn French" persuasion) who served the food with gusto, and in large portions! I also remember one of the dinner ladies being an old besom, a real bully, who would not let you leave the table till you'd eaten up every last morsel of your food. There was many a little-one traumatised, for life, by her...

I also remember the melamine plates, that came in those pastel colours, that looked like refreshers, pink, yellow, green...

I'm so jealous, I only lived across the road from school and never had school dinners, what have I missed out on?

At Southy school in the 60s they used to do sausages... long thin sausages that looked as if theyd been left in the sun for a week before being served to the kids... I loved them.

Also on just one occasion we were given a little cylinder of vanilla ice cream covered in hot chocolate custard.

I loved that so much I remember it to this day.

I'm so jealous, I only lived across the road from school and never had school dinners, what have I missed out on?

*cough*, *cough*

oh, no, Mrs Solo. You missed nothing, *cough*, school dinners were vile *cough* *cough*.

erm, actually, on that count, I fib, I'm afraid... lol.

The Cheese and Rice Croquettes were absolutely ACE. I actually really miss them!

I loved the cheese pie, too, but did your schools serve yours with tinned tomatoes and chips? My school did, and that combiation was lovely!!!

Puddings:- I detested a shortbread-y biscuit-y thing that they used to serve topped with caramel. You needed a hammer and chisel to get into that!!! :gag:

I did love the chocolate custard, (was not quite so keen on the pink custard, but it was fun, occasionally, on the coconut and jam sponge we would get served.

My memories of school dinners involve a hearty, jolly rotund cook, (Of the "Dawn French" persuasion) who served the food with gusto, and in large portions! I also remember one of the dinner ladies being an old besom, a real bully, who would not let you leave the table till you'd eaten up every last morsel of your food. There was many a little-one traumatised, for life, by her...

I also remember the melamine plates, that came in those pastel colours, that looked like refreshers, pink, yellow, green...

god yes!!! those plates!! they were indistructable lol.Wonder if schools still have them.i liked the rice pud with the blob of red jam in the middle..:cool:

god yes!!! those plates!! they were indistructable lol.Wonder if schools still have them.i liked the rice pud with the blob of red jam in the middle..:cool:

...and you'd stir it, and stir it, and stir it, till your rice pud turned pink (or swirly, depending on when you stopped stirring! hehehehehe!)

Also on just one occasion we were given a little cylinder of vanilla ice cream covered in hot chocolate custard.

I loved that so much I remember it to this day.

Oh my god Jabbers, this is my dream dessert of all time, steamin' custard and arctic ice cream. It was a regular at Pye Bank, can I have more please Sir ???? :love: :love: :love:

Oh my god Jabbers, this is my dream dessert of all time, steamin' custard and arctic ice cream. It was a regular at Pye Bank, can I have more please Sir ???? :love: :love: :love:

We had it once, just the once.

Ive tried to recreate it at home many times but the damn ice cream melts in seconds- I dont have time to sit and eat it!