Lodge moor orphanage

Lodge Moor being the hospital Fullwood was the orphanage 5-6 miles away

i had the misfortune to spend time in both lodge moor & fulwood hospitals, out of the 2 i would have thought fulwood the more likely to have been the orphanage as iv only ever known lodge moor to be a hospital

well if I've got the right building on picture sheffield, lodge moor was a fever hospital in 1910

it was a general hospital in 1990 (with a very swish looking spinal unit)

Edited by Strix

well if I've got the right building on picture sheffield, lodge moor was a fever hospital in 1910

it was a general hospital in 1990 (with a very swish looking spinal unit)

eyup strix, yeah it were very smart in there, they shut it down a few year ago & moved the spinal unit to the NGH on the site of the old hospital club iv been inside its got great facilities

im led to believe that lodge moor did a lot of rehab for head injuries aswel , i think they now do this at the new unit also

I know somebody who's recently been treated there (I assume anyway) - had his neck cut open to get at his spine - they've done a great job :thumbsup:

I know somebody who's recently been treated there (I assume anyway) - had his neck cut open to get at his spine - they've done a great job :thumbsup:
me brother had his spine op at the hallamshire about 3year ago, to no avail, its worse now than before but it was his best chance of a cure, at least they tried eh

I may be wrong but I think the orphanage may have been at the top of Blackbrook road,when we were kids 60s-early 70s we referred to it as'The naughty girls home' I'm sure it was an orphanage prior to it being used for all girls,its now a housing estate,sign of the times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes that is the right place,orphanage late 20s until 60s sometime but one would have to search other threads for closing, my stay was 39to 46

There are a couple of discussion threads already in operation on the Fulwood Cottage Homes which was the orphanage on Blackbrook Road which ex-children sent there are talking on. You might find the following helpful:

Fulwood cottage homes,cottam family in Sheffield History & Expats

Children's home/orphanage in Sheffield History & Expats

Hi Caza,

Just chatting with my mum this evening about the old days in Sheffield and I searched for her name and your post come up! She is Jean Emery ?

---------- Post added 01-09-2017 at 22:49 ----------

Hi there, my mum is jean emery if anyone remembers her?

Hi, Abcdefghijkl

I have sent you a message :)