Anybody a fan of chinese/hong kong cinema

anybody a fan of chinese/hong kong cinema, can u recommend any films

and have you seen Red cliff i cant wait for the second part should be out soon,If you havent seen it i think you should, it has had some mixed reviews but i loved it

My favourite film from HK is probably Infernal Affairs. Two great main leads, two great supporting characters and a brilliant plot. I never get tired of watching this.

Infernal Affairs 2 is okay but I wouldn't bother with 3 at all.

Off the top of my head, I'd also recommend most things by Wong Kar-Wai (specifically In the Mood For Love, which is gorgeous).

Erm, what else...the Young and Dangerous trilogy is a good example of late nineties HK cinema, and should be quite cheap today.

Election and Election 2 are pretty decent.

Kung Fu Hustle is also hilarious, and even if you don't normally watch kung fu films it is well worth a go. My housemate and I actually watched it twice back to back when we first got it, despite having seen it at a cinema already.

Without actually going home and checking out my DVD collection I'm struggling to think of anymore, but all those above are worth it IMO.

My favourite film from HK is probably Infernal Affairs. Two great main leads, two great supporting characters and a brilliant plot. I never get tired of watching this.

Infernal Affairs 2 is okay but I wouldn't bother with 3 at all.

Off the top of my head, I'd also recommend most things by Wong Kar-Wai (specifically In the Mood For Love, which is gorgeous).

Erm, what else...the Young and Dangerous trilogy is a good example of late nineties HK cinema, and should be quite cheap today.

Election and Election 2 are pretty decent.

Kung Fu Hustle is also hilarious, and even if you don't normally watch kung fu films it is well worth a go. My housemate and I actually watched it twice back to back when we first got it, despite having seen it at a cinema already.

Without actually going home and checking out my DVD collection I'm struggling to think of anymore, but all those above are worth it IMO.

ive seen all them except for in the mood for love is that the first part to 2046 an im sure there romantics not into them,

as for young and dangerous there are actually 6 parts to them plus a prequel (all gr8 films except prequel)

and i cant wait for kung fu hustle 2

if u really like hk films pm me i could lend u some

Not a chinese/hk movie but a Thai movie called Chocolate.

Its available from your local Blockbuster (released last November) about an autistic Thai girl seeking revenge for her mother, its a martial art type movie but the main charector is a teenage Thai girl not the usual boring male lead.

Film took 4 years to make, the first 2 just to train the girl then 2 years to make it, the film is known for the stunts which were done in real time, and whilst it is not as slick as the mega budget action films it is an excellent film for what it is.

Not a chinese/hk movie but a Thai movie called Chocolate.

Its available from your local Blockbuster (released last November) about an autistic Thai girl seeking revenge for her mother, its a martial art type movie but the main charector is a teenage Thai girl not the usual boring male lead.

Film took 4 years to make, the first 2 just to train the girl then 2 years to make it, the film is known for the stunts which were done in real time, and whilst it is not as slick as the mega budget action films it is an excellent film for what it is.

Whilst I love the previous Prachya Pinkaew films, I didn't think this was as good unfortunately, and I think that was because of the same reason you did like it; I had a hard time believing that a teenage girl could take on all of those guys without getting hammered.

I thought the stunts were amazing, and the outtakes showing all of the injuries incurred were a revelation (much like old Jackie Chan films) but I just couldn't get past the issue with the girl.

'Fallen Angels' is a great Wong Kar Wai film, and has some action thrown in as well if that's your thing. 'Full Contact' by Ringo Lam was good too, and 'To Live and Die in Tsim Sha Tsui' by Andrew Lau. 'Hero' and the first 'Once Upon a Time in China' are nice kung fu films, and so are most things with Donnie Yen. I also like the old 80's ghost stories (Mr Vampire, A Chinese Ghost Story etc.)

Also Chungking Express - my favourite Wong Kar Wai film.

'Encounters of the spooky kind', 'knockabout', Early-ish Jackie Chan stuff (Police Story, Armour of God, Operation Condor, etc), 'Eastern Condors', 'A Chinese Ghost Story', 'Espirit D'amour', 'Prodigal Son' - All fantastic. Look out for the names Lam Ching Ying, Yuen Biao, Samo Hung, Yuen Hwa, Jackie Chan, and you won't go far wrong. (unless you get any later Jakie Chan films, especially the ones he's made in America since he retired from making proper films)

Hardboiled, The Killer, Bullet In The Head, The Warrior, City On Fire, Raise The Red Lantern

I can't believe Red Cliff just ended like that!!! Second part is already out in HK.

Recommend-

P.T.U

Storm riders is a must! Sequel is out in HK near end of year!

all of Once upon a time in china

Fong sai yuk 1+2

Infernal Affairs 1+3 so much better than Departed!

all of Police Story films

Shaolin Soccer is so funny!!!

God of cookery

Beijing with love (bond spoof very funny) all of stephen chow's movies are funny

Fearless

Twin dragons - Jackie chan movie my favourite film of all time

cant think of anymore!!

Excellent thread - I now have a list of more films to watch now :)

Anybody else disappointed with the fight scenes in Red Cliff?

I've been fascinated with those characters my whole life, Romance of the Three Kingdoms is one of my favourite books, but all the fight scenes in the film just seemed really lame.

What was with the ten-thousand cuts of people going 'argh my eyes' over and over again when they do the shield reflector thing?

All very silly.

For some awesome martial arts I recommend anything the old Jet Li films, like the once upon a time in china films or some of the old Jackie Chan films from the 70s, like Drunken Master or Snake in the Eagles Shadow. As long as Yuen Woo Ping's doing the choreography you're sorted.:thumbsup: