Hillsborough in the early 1970s

I remember Beres pork shop was a cafe with a pinball machine. Moving up towards Middlewood road there was a fish and chip shop, a tobacconist, a sweet shop and a newsagent. Further up there was Ernest Brocklehurst who sold Roots cars and on the corner there was Manns fresh fish shop and on the corner was Timpsons shoes. There was a church where Tesco is now and further down was a fruit shop if I remember. Where the filling station is was a commercial garage.

You have a good memory, forgeman! Here is a scan from the 1971 Kelly's Directory showing shops in Bradfield Road, and here is a photo of Roy and Mary Cheetham, the lovely couple who had the newsagent's shop. The little fruit shop opposite, next to the Methodist church was Dolan's, later Lake's

You have a good memory, forgeman! Here is a scan from the 1971 Kelly's Directory showing shops in Bradfield Road, and here is a photo of Roy and Mary Cheetham, the lovely couple who had the newsagent's shop. The little fruit shop opposite, next to the Methodist church was Dolan's, later Lake's

I delivered fruit & veg for Dolan"s on a sack barrow whilst still at school , it was a treat to deliver to the fun fair at Owlerton Stadium and see inside the big 4 wheel caravans .

Hi,

my grandparents were Roy and Mary Cheetham and I wondered if you could send me a copy of the photo you posted as the link doesn’t work? I have just moved my son, their great grandson into a house off Bradfield Road and I was trying to locate where exactly the shop was as I was only three or four when they retired. I have hazy memories of the shop above the flat. Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

thanks 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tincan said:

Hi,

my grandparents were Roy and Mary Cheetham and I wondered if you could send me a copy of the photo you posted as the link doesn’t work? I have just moved my son, their great grandson into a house off Bradfield Road and I was trying to locate where exactly the shop was as I was only three or four when they retired. I have hazy memories of the shop above the flat. Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

thanks 

Many years ago I was a paperboy delivering newspapers for the Cheethams.

The area has changed so much since then, but having just looked on Google maps I’m pretty sure the paper shop is now the red rose chip shop.

Hope someone can confirm this for you.

In answer to (post #17) ..I guess that would be Paul Cheetham…..He is a member on here but not sure how often he visits.

8 hours ago, SVerhamme said:

Hi Alien

Just a thought did you know a Dave Stanton or a Kenneth Fidler both had paper rounds from the newsagents between the fishmongers  and Timpsons shoe shop on the corner I think Taplin Road or thereabouts ? 
Suzy 

Good morning Suzy, another nice one.....

I haven't been into Sheffield City Centre for years now..

I much prefer Hillsboro, I live 5mins away and find it cleaner and more pleasant than town....

Plenty of big shops, Morrisons, Home bargains, Iceland, Farm Foods, Dunhelm Mills, B&M stores, and many more..

Also got an undercover arcade, and free parking.

I don't know the last time you were in Hillsboro, but it's certainly changed over the years.

Suzy, if it is Paul Cheetham you are thinking of, he is my uncle and lives in South Africa and has done since he was about 18

Edited by Tincan
Spelling error

20 minutes ago, SVerhamme said:

hope I haven't bored you to bits lol will try to post this fingers crossed. 

Suzy

Suzy, you never bore us, I love to reminiscence about the old days...

Was it the Anvil Pub?

Rivelin was a favourite place of mine, I used to tell my 2 daughters we were going to the Seaside...

Better than going to Cleth-or-pees.

4 minutes ago, SVerhamme said:

Awe thank you ,very kind 🌸lol

YesThe Anvil a good local  pub as I remember ,frequented a few times , mostly with parents ,think we had a family gathering there once .

Rivlin was like the Cote d Azure lol in the summer by the pool ,everyone and their grandfather went there. Nice walks through the woods , always remember hot summers , can’t remember it raining all the school hols mum would say in the morning  “see you teatime ‘ and off we’d go for the day .

Derbyshire and the Peaks have excellent pubs always friendly and good grub lol

Tbh  the Cornish cooking leaves a lot to be desired apart from The Pasty !! and the heart attack cream tea 😱 It took a few failures before I passed the pasty test 🤣

but 2 sons later and I think I’ve got the hang of making the king Pasty lol 

Keep posted 🧧

Suzy 

Been to Cornwall 3 times, St. Ives.

Visited all the local attractions, never had a Cornish Pasty, till I went there...Horrible, Horrible, Horrible...

But the Cream Teas, lived on them, and Crab Sandwiches.......

I'm off to bed now, hard work this sunbathing..

See ya Suzy.

• Like 1

Hi, Does anyone remember brother and sister, Margaret and Micheal wragg or Sandra and Reg wragg. All lived on Burton st.

50 minutes ago, SVerhamme said:

Another Gorgeous Day here!!🌝😎

Hard work all  this sunbathing lol

wont want to go back to the land of work !!

On the. Crab sandwiches, they happen to be my favourite treat ,but need to work to buy them these days  at £15+a pot I’ll soon need a loan to buy one 🤣

Hope you’re not getting sun burnt in sweltering Sheffield 🙏

Just a slight tinge of red 🥵

Could do with a nice cool Lager in my favourite pub..."The Sloop Inn"