Hillsborough in the early 1970s

On 19/06/2022 at 20:08, Tincan said:

Hi,

my grandparents were Roy and Mary Cheetham and I wondered if you could send me a copy of the photo you posted as the link doesn’t work? I have just moved my son, their great grandson into a house off Bradfield Road and I was trying to locate where exactly the shop was as I was only three or four when they retired. I have hazy memories of the shop above the flat. Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

thanks 

Hi - I've replied to your Message. Since then I have found a reliable (I think!) image hosting site. Here is a link to the photo: 

https://postimg.cc/hJysst3h

I also looked in an old Kelly's directory. The shop was at 139 Bradfield Road. Here is a link to a "Google" photo - the "Red Rose" fish & chip shop is at No. 139. https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.403396,-1.499862,155.77h,5.2p,0.1z,oKaCBC1iqEVM1HP4HXralg

Edited by hillsbro

Does anybody remember the bakery on the corner of Hawthorn road and Hunter Road. In the 60s I remember as a small child eating their custard tarts, still warm from the oven. Every custard tart since then is a big disapointment. Suggs sports shop used to be where Spec savers is now. Woolworths used to be where I bought LPs. I think there used to be a family photographer near where the Co op is now.

On 28/12/2006 at 09:04, Wadsleyite said:

Oh - V.Hilton Tapp; he was a very good dentist who had care of my choppers in the late 1950s. I just had a look at the appropriate website and found that Vincent H. Tapp, born 14 May 1899, died in Sheffield in the first quarter of 1970. The first road off Middlewood Road after Hillsborough Corner is Hillsborough Road; I don't remember a bank - I think Barker's furniture shop was on the first corner, with Marsden's butchers on the opposite corner. The post office was just along Hillsborough Road; it was built in 1961 - before that the (much smaller) P.O. was on the other side of Middlewood Road, near Kay's newsagents. The Yorkshire Bank was indeed on the corner of Rudyard Road - it's now a restaurant. Barclays Bank was (and still is) just across Middlewood Road from Hillsborough Road, next to Burtons which was on the corner. The petrol station (where Maplins is now) replaced the Phoenix cinema, which must have closed in the 1960s. The fruit and veg. cart at the end of Brier Street is sadly missed - it was owned by two brothers who lived at Southey Green - one of them died suddenly from a sudden throat infection or choking attack, I think. The flower cart at the end of Roselle Street was owned by Mrs Windley who had the flower shop on Proctor Place - her daughter Victoria took over, and still has the flower shop as well as "Flowers by Victoria" in the arcade. Memories...

I think it was Nellie Bingley who had the shop on Proctor Place the family have a shop in the arcade,run Vicky and Mick.