Old school headmasters & their nicknames

Mr Hook head of Wisewood school in the 1970's was known as The Frog simply because he looked like one.

A little off the theme, Hennypenny, but did you know a teacher called Frank Brooham at Wisewood?

A little off the theme, Hennypenny, but did you know a teacher called Frank Brooham at Wisewood?

I don't think so. There was a teacher called Mr Brewer, unless I am remembering incorrectly and they are one and the same. The teacher I am thinking of had a son called Simon, and did the library duty. I was a librarian so spent a lot of time in there.

What subject did Frank Brooham teach and when was he there?

A teacher called Frank Brooham taught at Malin Bridge Junior in the 1950s and early 1960s. He left Malin Bridge in c. 1964 and might perhaps have gone on to Wisewood, though I understood that he was going to teach handicapped children. He lived near my aunt on Goodison Crescent (Stannington) and died aged 90 in 2005.

Edited by hillsbro

Hartley Brook Sec Mod late 50's/early 60's - 'Pop' Allen.

mr goddard at thornbridge/birley school - was called 'little ern' - he was the spitting image of ernie wise !

In the 1960's Carfield Secondary School had a maths teacher named Mr.Cartwright who was quite a large chap and, as Bonanza was on the TV at that time, he was nick-named "Hoss" as in Hoss Cartwright in the programme.

There was also a geography teacher who was nick-named "Dobbin" because he looked like a horse!

The headmaster Mr.Edlington was nick-named "Pop" as I believe most heads were though I've no idea why.

A teacher called Frank Brooham taught at Malin Bridge Junior in the 1950s and early 1960s. He left Malin Bridge in c. 1964 and might perhaps have gone on to Wisewood, though I understood that he was going to teach handicapped children. He lived near my aunt on Goodison Crescent (Stannington) and died aged 90 in 2005.

Thanks Hillsboro, that's him. His wife my auty Iris died last year. They were a lovely couple. I still speak to their daughter Julia occassionally. I lived on Hollins Lane, not far from Goodison Cres as a boy with mum and dad Kath and Steve Worth. Did you know them also?

Geoff

Hi Geoff - glad to know that we are referring to the same Frank Brooham. I was never taught by him (I had Mrs Potter in J1/J2 and Lewis Hawley in J3/J4) but everyone spoke very highly of him. I don't recall your parents but (having been born on Low Road) I knew a number of people in the area apart from old school friends. Here is a Malin Bridge Junior staff photo of c. 1955 http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/MalinBridgeTeachersc1955.jpg On the front row, left to right, are Mrs Dean, Miss Winkworth, Lewis Hawley, Frank Courage (headteacher), Mrs Thorpe, Frank Brooham and Mrs Potter. Back row: Mr Martin, (?), Stella Preece, (?), Mr Binney.

Edited by hillsbro

Thank you very much for the photo. I am going to try and send it to his daughter. Living on Low Road, you will remember The Howcrofts at the Off License on the corner and maybe the Loosemoors at the Off License further down Stannington Road. Arnold and Audrey Loosemoor were also my relations and my mum used to help them in the shop on occasions

Regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff - glad to know that we are referring to the same Frank Brooham. I was never taught by him (I had Mrs Potter in J1/J2 and Lewis Hawley in J3/J4) but everyone spoke very highly of him. I don't recall your parents but (having been born on Low Road) I knew a number of people in the area apart from old school friends. Here is a Malin Bridge Junior staff photo of c. 1955 http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/MalinBridgeTeachersc1955.jpg On the front row, left to right, are Mrs Dean, Miss Winkworth, Lewis Hawley, Frank Courage (headteacher), Mrs Thorpe, Frank Brooham and Mrs Potter. Back row: Mr Martin, (?), Stella Preece, (?), Mr Binney.

Hi Hillsbro

I passed your info to Frank's daughter. She is delighted and didn't know about the Forum -- She does now.

Geoff

Anyone remember Alan Goodfellow,head of Wisewood from late 50s to 67 and if so did he have a nickname?

George Mack, headmaster at High Storrs Grammar school for Boys. '50s to early '60s. He commanded respect. When he entered a room everyone had to stand.