From The Queen's Royal Lancers Website: sent to me by a friend.

So what is English heritage?

Can't quite put our fingers on it, can we?

That's because the idea of a nation is a wholly abstract and man-made construct. It is a pointless division of the inherent unity of the people of the earth.

You were born here as a consequence of circumstance. You deserve no more, or no less, than someone born in Botswana.

If anything, the British Empire, which still exists through anglo-US establishments, is a "heritage" to be ashamed of, unless you support benefitting from the imperialistic plunder of weaker nations, like parasites do from their hosts. Everything shall flow to the City of London and the Crown so England's subjects can prosper from the booty of the host colonies.

England is but a piece of land with people living on it, ruled by propertied and moneyed oligarchs. Governments and institutions may seek to draw boundaries and manufacture culture, but at the end of the day we ALL share this planet and the fruits of the earth.

Bye England... whoever you are.

your wrong,England was built by the common man and woman,they built it and many died defending it, you dont fight for something you care little about

your wrong,England was built by the common man and woman,they built it and many died defending it, you dont fight for something you care little about

Every country was built from the labour and sweat of the "common man", not just England. It's a class war that has created this divided mindset among the people of the earth. Divide and conquer is the mantra here. It has always been the mantra of the ruling classes who play this fictitious game of chess.

The point was YOU were born into post-imperialism England. The booty of centuries of plunder and destruction is yours by default. It's all been leading to this point - so that you can forget where your country really "came from".

The common man in Mexico may be wondering where the fruits of his labour have been shipped off to, while the common man/subject in England is content that he is at least seeing a prosperous return on his sweat, granted to him by his capitalist masters.

Our men and women have never fought for "freedom". They have fought for elite business ventures. When there's blood running in the streets, that's when business gets done. That's why people like Hitler were funded and supported by supra-nationalists who have no such allegience to a plot of land.

Edited by epiphany

the ruling classes as you call them only live here and survive by the grace of the working classes,as you will no doubt have heard this said before "if there were no slaves there would be no masters" we,the people accept them,as for what happened in the days of queen victoria why i wonder do those from countries you say we plundered return to live here in mother England ?

think what we gave in return,we left them better educated,a better railroad system,a guarantee of protection,do you think these people lost out on the deal? much of what we are supposed to have taken was never intended for use of the people so by your definition it was the rich robbing the rich,i thought you would have had a smile about that

the class war you describe has been going on even before the norman invaders arrived,in those times nothing cold be done about it,today,through democratic process we can alter the system to anything we like,so we are no longer tied to our homes and livelyhoods we can choose who we work for where we live and whether or not we want to remain,i opt for remaining,as England is still the greatest country on earth,sure she may have her faults,but i can put up with them if she can put up with me

the ruling classes as you call them only live here and survive by the grace of the working classes,as you will no doubt have heard this said before "if there were no slaves there would be no masters" we,the people accept them,as for what happened in the days of queen victoria why i wonder do those from countries you say we plundered return to live here in mother England ?

think what we gave in return,we left them better educated,a better railroad system,a guarantee of protection,do you think these people lost out on the deal? much of what we are supposed to have taken was never intended for use of the people so by your definition it was the rich robbing the rich,i thought you would have had a smile about that

the class war you describe has been going on even before the norman invaders arrived,in those times nothing cold be done about it,today,through democratic process we can alter the system to anything we like,so we are no longer tied to our homes and livelyhoods we can choose who we work for where we live and whether or not we want to remain,i opt for remaining,as England is still the greatest country on earth,sure she may have her faults,but i can put up with them if she can put up with me

Thank you, my sentiments entirely. This has nothing to do with being racist, it is about holding on to what is left of our ailing country. We the english/british public seem to have no say anymore. What happened to free speech. I am not particulary patriotic but I was born of English parents and I live in this country. I believe we should be allowed to fly our flag (as other countries do) and be proud of our country's name.

Writers like Shakespeare, Milton and Shaw

The pupils don't learn about them anymore

How about Agincourt, Hastings , Arnhem or Mons ?

When England lost hosts of her very brave sons.

So only English soldiers died at these battles?

Actually, I've never been told I cant refer to myself as English, am I missing out?

The Christmas Soldier

Twas the night before Christmas,

he lived all alone

in a one bedroom house

made of plaster and stone.

I had come down the chimney

with presents to give,

And to see who

in this home did live.

I looked all about

a strange sight did I see,

No tinsel, no presents,

not even a tree.

No stockings by the mantle,

just boots filled with sand,

on the wall hung pictures

of far distant lands.

With medals and badges,

awards of all kinds,

a sober thought

came through my mind.

For this house was different,

it was dark and dreary,

I found the house of a soldier,

once I could see clearly.

The soldier lay sleeping

silent, alone,

curled upon the floor

in this one bedroom home.

The face was so gentle

the room in such disorder;

Not how I pictured

a United States soldier.

Was this the hero

of whom I just read?

Curled up on a poncho,

the floor for a bed?

I realized the families

I saw on this night,

owed their lives

to these soldiers,

who were willing to fight.

Soon around the world

the children would play.

And grown~ups would celebrate

a bright Christmas Day.

They all enjoyed freedom

each month of the year,

Because of the soldiers,

like the one lying here.

I couldn't help wonder

how many lay alone,

on a cold Christmas Eve,

in a land far from home.

The very thought

brought a tear to my eye.

I dropped to my knees

and started to cry.

The soldier awakened

and I heard a rough voice,

"Santa, don't cry,

this life is my choice;

I fight for freedom,

I don't ask for more,

My life is:

My God,

My Country,

My Corps."

The soldier rolled over

and drifted to sleep,

I couldn't control it,

I started to weep.

I kept watch for hours,

so silent and still.

And we both shivered

from the cold nights chill.

I didn't want to leave

on that cold, dark night.

This Guradian of Honor

so willing to fight.

The soldier rolled over,

with a voice soft and pure,

whispered,

"Carry on, Santa,

It's Christmas Day,

All is secure."

One look at my watch

and I knew he was right.

Merry Christmas my friend,

and to all a Good Night!

So only English soldiers died at these battles?

*pedant mode* At Agincourt there'd also have been French and at Hastings there'd have been Normans and at Arnhem and Mons obviously by then we'd have been British and some remnants of the rest of Europe v the Germans */pedant mode*

But I think we all get the gist of the OP, a lot of people are yearning for the distant golden days of England when the whole world knew what the country stood for and we were a proud people. Don't you think? From the stories I hear from my aged rellies, it was certainly a nicer place than it is now, but maybe it's just rose coloured spex, distance lending enchantment, etc etc.

Anyway, they might as well give up and sink into the mire with the rest of us, because those days are gone, never to return.

*pedant mode* At Agincourt there'd also have been French and at Hastings there'd have been Normans and at Arnhem and Mons obviously by then we'd have been British and some remnants of the rest of Europe v the Germans */pedant mode*

But I think we all get the gist of the OP, a lot of people are yearning for the distant golden days of England when the whole world knew what the country stood for and we were a proud people. Don't you think? From the stories I hear from my aged rellies, it was certainly a nicer place than it is now, but maybe it's just rose coloured spex, distance lending enchantment, etc etc.

Anyway, they might as well give up and sink into the mire with the rest of us, because those days are gone, never to return.

thats what a lot of people dont understand natjack,you see the thing that makes England great is that we refuse to sink into the mire,we pull ourselves up by our boot laces and carry on to the very end

its not wrong to put on those rose coloured specks every now and again and think back to when times were slower,when neighbours actually new one another,when they talked to each other in the street,when most people were in work,whats so wrong about wanting that again?

Wasn't Shaw Irish?

During Shaw's time Ireland was British. He was a British passport holder.

Goodbye to my England, So long my old friend

Your days are numbered, being brought to an end

To be Scottish, Irish or Welsh that's fine

But don't say you're English, that's way out of line.

Who's stopping you?

Even schools are affected, staff do as they're told

They must not teach children about England of old.

Writers like Shakespeare, Milton and Shaw

The pupils don't learn about them anymore

How about Agincourt, Hastings , Arnhem or Mons ?

When England lost hosts of her very brave sons.

We are not Europeans, how can we be?

Europe is miles away over the sea

My wife is an English teacher and guess what, she teaches Shakespeare.

And Europe is only 20 miles from Dover or 80 from London - not like it's the other side of the world.

It really is drivel.

Hasn't England benefited from ANYTHING due to being a member of the European Economic Community?

Why the anti-European bias?

I left England a long time ago but have been back on visits several times over the years. I find the England of today a pretty cool place to be in and a lot more prosperous in every way. It has vitality!

Some of this new found prosperity must be due to being a part of the EEC surely!