Old Fairgrounds and Circuses

Mid 70's the three sites we always used to go too:

Woodhouse opposite shops on the road where Beighton tip is further down.

Top of High Hazels Park

and for a couple of years...

land at bottom of Woodhouse Mill just after Princess Royal outbound.

hi this may be a long shot but around the mid 80's there used to be a fair at the old handsworth red reck does anyone know what it was called or remember a fairground worker with tattoos all down his arms and on one arm the word DODGEMS tattoo'ed his name is Mark Rose a friend of mine is trying to locate him

hi this may be a long shot but around the mid 80's there used to be a fair at the old handsworth red reck does anyone know what it was called or remember a fairground worker with tattoos all down his arms and on one arm the word DODGEMS tattoo'ed his name is Mark Rose a friend of mine is trying to locate him
the mark rose i think youre referring to is originally from wakefield, he started out with arthur north & son on the dodgems before going to work for jt norths waltzer. as far as im aware he's still in wakefield. the only way i can think of contacting him is by waiting another 6 weeks until the fair is at firth park & asking arthur north for contact details unless i can get in tiouch with them before

no ones mentioned the large fair on the Atlas andNorfolk sports ground on shirecliffe,we kids loved that in the 50s.

the mark rose i think youre referring to is originally from wakefield, he started out with arthur north & son on the dodgems before going to work for jt norths waltzer. as far as im aware he's still in wakefield. the only way i can think of contacting him is by waiting another 6 weeks until the fair is at firth park & asking arthur north for contact details unless i can get in tiouch with them before
he also has an elder brother called paul who also worked for arthur north

Yes! I think it was Bertram Mills Circus, early 1950's. Somewhere in the middle of town on waste land or possibly bomb site. Guess Division Street area. Clearly remember animals performing e.g. lion tamer. Think it was dark when we arrived: try February. The show ended with an amazing show of illuminated fountains.

There was a fair behind the Magnet at Southey Green Terminus before they built Parsons cross.

i workt on most of the fairs in sheffield i workt 4 whiteings did 17 years with them wer the best years of my life

Well that brought a few memories - fairground at Wadsley Bridge and my first goldfish!! The big trip out was to go to Farm Grounds near Granville - for a tot that was a long way. Amazing how close it seemed when years later I went to Granville College.