Old Fairgrounds and Circuses

I recall at the end of the war Billy Butlins Fair being located at the railway station end of Pond Street. I even recall seeing the great man by the Merry go Round.

There was one for a few years on the grass field on Fox Lone basegreen.

I remember Farm Grounds, Granville Road wasn't it?..that was as a teenager, but as a child being taken by my parents, it would be at Ecclesfield.

On the corner, on the High Street, back of the cottagey chip shop on the same side of the school.

My Great Grandad lived in a cottage opposite and it was a great treat to go so I could go the the fair.:)

Bottom of Granville Rd was a popular one, late '40s. Joan. Back then, anything went. As a little kid, I remember wanting to go inside the various tents to see the fattest woman, smallest man, etc., only to be yanked away by my mum.

I remember going to a circus round about 1952-ish with a sort of school outing [ all a bit vague now ! ]. This was situated at the top of Fitzwilliam St., at the junction with Division St, about opposite the Rare 'N Racy bookshop.

A few years later I think they had a big bonfire, too, on Nov. 5th.on the same site.

I was a typical fairground tart.

You know the sort hanging round the waltzer only paying for one ride, hoping that the bit of rough turning your carraige would notice you.

But my fave fair was the one at owlerton stadim especially the year they had the wall of death there, 1982!

If only my parents knew.

I remember the Owlerton one and in paricular the wall of death plus as you say the lads turning the Waltzer for the girls.

It was also a great way of listening to pop music of the day...I,m talking 1950s

I think that the utilisation of animals for the gratification of so called humans is despicable.

I think that the utilisation of animals for the gratification of so called humans is despicable.

. . . but I must admit that I like the bit where the Elephants have to stand on one leg wearing a silly hat, and they get rewarded with a sticky bun. ;)

There also used to be a fair in Woodhouse in the 50s/ early 60s behind the library. I remember one in Handsworth around the same time.

Sorry state but is Owlerton the one off Penistone rd 1946 my bro & i just to go & fight with the Gypsy lads then they would give us free rides they where a tough bunch.

Late 60's - fair at Hillsborough Park - remembered because i had one of the happiest nights of my life there.

Big bunch of us down there one Friday night - including a girl who I fancied like mad, but I thought I didn't have a chance - absolute cracker who could have had any bloke she fancied, not some rough sod like me. Anyway - onto the 'Speedway', and the lads did their usual thing - not sitting down but leaning against the safety rail so we could look 'cool'

Music always brilliant - loud as they could get it without blowing the speakers - in this case - Mama Cass singing 'It's getting better' - and it did, cus this lass came and sat on the horse right in front of me and took hold of my hand. I was in bloody heaven - spent the rest of the night walking round the fair with her, having agreat time. Got to walk her home and we started going out - did'nt last too long, just one of those things, but that night will remain with me as one of the greatest - and loved that song ever since

I was born near the bottom of Craven Road in Darnall. Some of my earliest memories are walking around the fairground as they were setting it up. It used to be an annual event on the spare ground right at the bottom of the road.

My mum told me about some gypsy woman who used our front room once for her fortune telling. I can still smell the deisel fumes from the generators used to power dodgems etc. That was before I started school (Whitby Road Infants)

I used to go to Whitby Road Infants and then the Annexe down Darnall Road. There also used to be a fairground come to the Darnall Greyhound racing track at the top of Poole Road.

I remember distictly the Empire Theatre putting on a circus one time. It must've been in the 40's. My uncle was on leave and he'd promised to take me. When we got there for the matinee show, they were booked up.

We went to see 'Flying Tigers' at the Hippodrome instead.

Followed by chips and egg at the WVS Forces Canteen on Snigg Hill.