Old Fairgrounds and Circuses

I remember the Grimesthorpe Feast Fair which housed itself on either side of Petre St with nearest cross street being Botham st. They used to have the Grimesthorpe Feast Walk around this time also which started and ended at the Victoria Pub. fleetwood

I remember the fair at Wisewood[Wadsley Feast] it was on Studfield Hill on the right going towards Loxley Rd. 1950s 60s. I lived in Worrall we used to go to the fair every year Happy Days.

---------- Post added 01-02-2017 at 19:27 ----------

Thats were I saw Keith a few years ago not that tough,

I was born near the bottom of Craven Road in Darnall. Some of my earliest memories are walking around the fairground as they were setting it up. It used to be an annual event on the spare ground right at the bottom of the road.

My mum told me about some gypsy woman who used our front room once for her fortune telling. I can still smell the deisel fumes from the generators used to power dodgems etc. That was before I started school (Whitby Road Infants)

hiya, have been wondering where it was where i went as a boy and this letter

jogged my memory, ths was early 1940s was at the left hand side at the botttom of prince of wales rd and i thik staniforth rd, could it have been at the back of where cravens factory was, another thing cloe by was a pub,i ask because someone one told me it was the darnall dog track, did anyone know a strawberry lane from manor to wybourne before any manor park was built.

Not many will remember the site of spare ground at the bottom of

Broughton lane opposite the brightside & carbrook milk dept.

They had fairs on this site about 1950

Not many will remember the site of spare ground at the bottom of

Broughton lane opposite the brightside & carbrook milk dept.

They had fairs on this site about 1950

The largest fairground around there was called the Pheasant ground. Could also be approached from Attercliffe Common close to the Pheasant pub and opposite the Carbrook Hall. Bertram Mills circus used to be there too. There were blocks of old air raid shelters at the back of the ground, still had the iron frames for beds.

I remember the Grimesthorpe Feast Fair which housed itself on either side of Petre St with nearest cross street being Botham st. They used to have the Grimesthorpe Feast Walk around this time also which started and ended at the Victoria Pub. fleetwood

--------

Hi Fleetwood, I remember Albert Parr doing them walks, somesthimes

someone would pick him up in a car and try to get in front of the pack

Having his age and people knew and it was all fun. Brian. :thumbsup:

--------

Hi Fleetwood, I remember Albert Parr doing them walks, somesthimes

someone would pick him up in a car and try to get in front of the pack

Having his age and people knew and it was all fun. Brian. :thumbsup:

Albert always looked scruffy but people loved him anyway. I always thought he lived (maybe lodged) in one of the houses just below the Railway Workingmens Club.

Albert always looked scruffy but people loved him anyway. I always thought he lived (maybe lodged) in one of the houses just below the Railway Workingmens Club.

-------

Hi Fleetwood, Yes he was what you say but a good bloke.

Sheila has just put it on Grimesthorpe thread and said he lived across

the Beehive. Brian

On 28/04/2010 at 22:56, sycamore66j said:

eyup MH, would that be andrew swallow who married tony marshalls sister, tony was in the same class as me in infant and junior school. and i used to see swallow regulaly when i worked for dick rowding at the breakers ( ecc ) on station road through the 80,s swallow used to have a yellow sherpa van which he towed behind a jcb.

Don't seem too remember you pal I worked for Dick alway thought 80s and beginning of 90s and i new Andrew Very well in fact I wrote that yellow Sherpa off bringing it in yard be nice to know your name matey

There used to have a fair on Studfield Hill  Wisewood,we used to walk from Worrall to attend the fair