Old Fairgrounds and Circuses

hahaha dont bet on it janeybird we wernt 2 bad workin 4 arthur north!that waltzer is still in use today as far as i know

i agree wen it went there i worked for dowses we wer next to william side by side us wi the bikes william wi the cars best lukers wer wi us

dean darby,worked on the speedway or waltzer ,if i,m right,big mates with DER ,YING (worked for sam ashcroft) and DOUGGIE(Gary Douglas).....also remember OCKER(Ian)RICHIE(Barnsley lad) WAYNE STABLES,RICHIE(paybox on the speedway),BRUSH,NINK,BOB COUSINS,XR3 SHAUN,the bully boy called RUSS HYDES,TAB,MEZZY ,Stewart radford and GANGSTER.

I,m sure that i could name more,but my memory is not what it was,so i will leave it there.

me paul .they wer ant,tomo,black brian,black mark,black pete,u wer rite mate then for terrence dowse rip, brian,john sylvester i think he came with the machine wen terrence bought it haha

me paul .they wer ant,tomo,black brian,black mark,black pete,u wer rite mate then for terrence dowse rip, brian,john sylvester i think he came with the machine wen terrence bought it haha

also deans bruva there kenny,nigel fauvel 2 his parents ownd the royal across from the dog track

my mate worked at a fair as a human cannon ball, but he got fired, When he took em to a tribunal he was awarded £1000 on the grounds of FUNFAIR DISSMISEL

How did they manage to replace a man of his calibre?

As a youngster in the 50s my favourite fair visited Owlerton Stadium car park at the top of Liversey St.In those days there was no tarmac down only ashes on the floor,puddles everywhere when it rained, it was ideal for me as I lived at the bottom of the same street.All my spending money was spent on the hooplar or the slots,darts and my favourite the waltzer,I visited as a scruffy little kid in short pants up to a teenager trying to pick up a bird with the rest of the Hillsborough lads.One incident I remember was Keith Littlewood having a scrap with a fairground bloke on the waltzer as it was going full belt,they ended up on the floor of the waltzer going up and down the seats whizzing round missing their heads by inches how one of them didn,t get killed was a miracle!.All the Hillsborough lads were a tough bunch but I always got on with them and had good times all that time ago in the 50s how the years fly by!.:hihi::rolleyes:

i workt 4 michael

orite mate did u work for micheal wen ying,dougi,wer there & not 4getin mad beaky.haha

hi peter. could i ask you what year you travelled with john and flo as my dad started with them from being 9yrs old from there he worked for old walt whiting on his ark,albert proctor, with big jack.lings.corrigans,etc my dad would have been 67 now he told me about sum1 calld starry pete just wondered if u?my email address fletchocs@gmail.com cheers fella

they wer anutha fella calld don law,sumtimes sid & eddie archer???

In the early '40s, I remember going to a circus in the Pond St area (where the swimming baths are/were)

Also around the same time they held an indoor circus at the old Empire Theatre. Must have been quite a logistical problem.

Keith Littlewood having a scrap with a fairground bloke on the waltzer as it was going full belt...
Bloomin' heck, Keith Littlewood - there's a "blast from the past". Is he still around?
...All the Hillsborough lads were a tough bunch...
We sure were!.:P

Years ago there were numerous travelling fairs and Circuses that came at different times of the year to different traditional fairground sites all over Sheffield.

There used to be a real holiday feeling at the fairgrounds and the ciruses were magic to the youngsters.

Does any one have any recollections or stories?

Where were all the sites and what was the names of the fairs?

Happy days PopT

hi popt did u travel with the gaff at all?my dad did,he went with john & flo farrah from bein 9 yrs old,workd for lings,corrigans,big jack & albert proctor,pat collins,he came from george lane,then went down owlerton way,netherthorpe,walkley,he workd with don law,sid & eddie archer,he knocked around with graham clark,nick name gab,

Bloomin' heck, Keith Littlewood - there's a "blast from the past". Is he still around?We sure were!.:P

Isn't that the guy who sells tea towels and dusters etc while sat on a stool reading the racing papers at the top of Dixon Lane.

At Ecclesfield it was Norths and Lings funfairs. In the 1930's it was Pullens, but it burned down at Ecclesfield.