Old Fairgrounds and Circuses

the earliest i can remember used to be opposite the white horse at Wadsley Bridge,early forties,

eckington fair was good on fields off fanshaw road near the west end pub,loads of houses there now..

i remember but it was chipperfields circus it was 1960. on devonshire ,broomhall, fitzwilliam, chester and eldon streets these would hire the locals to help put up the big top, they had a boxing booth at one time , one of the boxers was eric ludlam, another i knew his face but can't put a name to him.

I remember attending and falling in love with the beautiful trapeze artiste. She fell and died (in practice I think) a short time after the circus had left Sheffield. Very sad.

Here's one more site no one has mentioned i seem to remember it only coming twice around the late sixties i recall the fair was on land cleared by slum clearance situated on MOOR st between Clarence st and Ecclesall rd i remember on the first occasion it arrived being short changed by one of the ride operators and an argument started between us both then being knocked unconscious by someone from behind with a cosh someone informed the police as you would expect all involved vanished when the fair returned the following year a few friends and myself attended and lets just say justice was done thank God for the NHS HAPPY DAYS.

Mention has been made, a few times, of the fairground at the end of Blonk Street. I can certainly remember it when I was very young back in the 30's. Like peterw said, it became a billet yard for, I think, Osborne's.

Recently I read a piece about the building of Victoria Station in 1850 and mention was made about the station 'overlooking a fairground'. It makes it a very old site and I wonder if the fair was a permanent attraction at one time.

Just browsed through quickly but didn't see anyone mention the fair that used to come to Stannington, It was on a big piece of land just off of Wood Lane. If I remember rightly the land belonged to the Clayton family. The fair came a few times I think but then the land was sold and it is a housing estate now. I always wanted to go to the fair when it came but my mum wouldn't allow it.

There was one for a few years on the grass field on Fox Lone basegreen.

Thinking this one was Whittings? I can remember when I went to Charnock school all those years ago, the fair used to be on "the cowey" aka fox lane playing field. When it pulled off there it used to go to Herdings park, we got really excited seeing the traction engines and packed up rides on the back of lorries travelling down white lane. I was very rarely allowed to go as dad deemed them thieving ****'s lol.

Whenever Norths Fair came to Ecclesfield , Arthur always had a couple o' weeks in our class at Ecco Juniors ..:)

remember the circus animals walking up the cliffe from tinsley on their way to ripon street.where the circus was set up.also the fair would come there as well.and high hazels park was also a venue for the fair, it was great on a friday nite ,what a treat.

Anyone remember the fair at the side of ball inn - in ecclesfield,I used to live in the cottages behind the ball

can you remember dean off the cross use to work for dowses? he died about 5yr ago i was only talking to him a few days before he had the haemorrage he seemed fine

dean darby,worked on the speedway or waltzer ,if i,m right,big mates with DER ,YING (worked for sam ashcroft) and DOUGGIE(Gary Douglas).....also remember OCKER(Ian)RICHIE(Barnsley lad) WAYNE STABLES,RICHIE(paybox on the speedway),BRUSH,NINK,BOB COUSINS,XR3 SHAUN,the bully boy called RUSS HYDES,TAB,MEZZY ,Stewart radford and GANGSTER.

I,m sure that i could name more,but my memory is not what it was,so i will leave it there.

Thanks for that mh01, I always thought it was the best waltzer I've ever been on.

It had the best looking lads as well!!:)

Farrars used to stand in Hillsborough park and I met my first husband when he was working on the waltzer and I was riding on it.