'Threads' 1984 - Location Guide

we used to laugh cos an old teacher at our school was in film a mr peck i remember it well they painted white body shapes all over town centre for it

I hope he wasn't your English teacher. I'm watching Threads now. I remember watching it when it was shown on TV.

I remember Threads,realy controversial at the time.

Does anyone remember anymore old films shot in Sheffield?

I was an extra in Threads. The school was Hillsboro primary (Catch Bar Lane). The derelict buildings were opposite Hillsboro Park where the Leisure Centre now stands and the evacuation period was out on Froggat/Curbar edge. I never saw myself in the film but my pal only came for the City Hall scene and the camera seemed to focus on him.

we used to laugh cos an old teacher at our school was in film a mr peck i remember it well they painted white body shapes all over town centre for it

I remember Mr Peck, if it was same teacher, used to be head at Lydgate.

I remember watching Threads when it came out and it terrified me.

Still does - in fact it must be most depressing film ever made. Great deterrent though and incredibly powerful and far sighted!

I watched it at school (Silverdale) when I was younger. Still haunted by it (so had to buy the DVD as therapy!)

Given that this spellbinding documentary was first aired 30 years ago this week i thought i'd add another set location to this erm...thread. The barn where you see Jane (Ruth's daughter) being accosted by a pair of youths (and shortly afterwards where she's seen grappling on the floor) is located on Clodhall Lane on Hare Edge roughly 3 miles to the east of Baslow. It's at grid reference is SK 2998 7243.

Were you that woman who wee'd herself? :hihi:

I believe the woman who wee'd herself was a teacher at Chaucer school and I think her name was Sellars. Many of the extras were teachers in real life. I was a stills photographer on the film taking photos for continuity, a job I got because the bloke who was supposed to be doing it failed to turn up. It was voluntary though!

We watched it at school, terrifying at the time but easier on the nerves as an adult...