Woolworths in the 60's

My memories of woolworths in the 60s are mainly of the hillsborogh branch as my grandparents lived in burrowlee road (opisite what was newbolds on penistone rd).

Looking back now it was incredible as you were served by assistants each counter had one complete with till.

I remember buying both batteries and light bulbs which were tested before they were wrapped.

I also remember them selling electric organs an oap used to go in and play them as a demonsration.

Around 1955 I worked at the Haymarket branch of Woolworths for a short while.At the back of each counter there was a wooden fold up seat.What it was there for I don"t know,because we were told off if we were caught sitting on it!

I can remember going to see " The Honey Monster " at the woolworths at the Haymarket in the mid 70's :D

I remember buying some hair rollers from Woolworths in the late 60s, they were pink plastic, you dropped them in hot water and set your hair, amazing, they worked just like the modern electric ones do now, i went back the following year to get more, they were all gone off the shelves and never saw them again.

Woolworths in Sheffield Haymarket changed its name to Woolco.

Remember their donut machine? I used to go in town on my own in the very early 70s when I was about 10-12- hang around woolworths, wander through the markets -especially the rag n tag and always ended up at the pet store- I think it was Maces in the rag n tag before it moved to outside /nest to Castle Market.

The number of time I had to walk home to Gleadless Valley from town because I'd bought something from the pet shop - tadpoles, white mice, gerbils...I think my mum dreaded me going out.

Speaking of pet shops- ther was that exotic one on the Wicker that used to sell monkeys and pedigree dogs n cats...

I'm (only) 36 but, love hearing all of these stories. They are really interesting. Keep posting them, it's like hearing about life in Sheff before I was born

Is it me or has Woolworths always had a very distinctive smell (the one on the moor) when you walk in. I can remember going there early on a Saturday morning in the 70's with my mum on her way to work (she used to clean at a nightclub around the corner - Scamps) and the smell I remember from back then is still the same now!!

I'm (only) 36 but, love hearing all of these stories. They are really interesting. Keep posting them, it's like hearing about life in Sheff before I was born

Oh STOP IT WILL YA! only 36 ? go back to bed :mad:

Is it me or has Woolworths always had a very distinctive smell (the one on the moor) when you walk in. I can remember going there early on a Saturday morning in the 70's with my mum on her way to work (she used to clean at a nightclub around the corner - Scamps) and the smell I remember from back then is still the same now!!

I bought my first ever 7inch single from that Woolies on the Moor- Kate Bush 'Wuthering Heights' (and Richard Myhill 'It takes two to Tango' but we won't dwell on that...)