Run Free my beautiful girl

it's horrible being a responsible and caring owner, sometimes, isn't it? :(

So sorry about your girlie, Lotti.

Be comforted that you did the right, and loving thing by her, and let her go over the bridge in a peaceful and dignified way, with the person she loved, and who loved her, by her side. You haven't let her suffer, and a having peaceful end, like that, is all anyone can ask, really...

Big hugs to you all Lots, you know i'm always here.x.x.x.

Thanks all.

I'm not coping so well today, had to do the filming for Friends for Life (which was rubbish lol) and it totally exhausted me so now I'm just crying at the drop of a hat. I keep looking out at where she's buried and wishing she was inside in the warm.

I'm quite surprised that Smitch is so badly affected to, she keeps going to the last places Smudge was and digging and scratching.

Thanks all - I really appreciate the kind words. HelenaC I haven't been able to bring myself to read the poem just yet, but I will in time - thanks.

My bold

That can be so difficult to cope with. I have, much to my shame, found myself shouting at a cat or dog behaving like that, as if the poor little beggars could actually understand what I was saying about their friend being dead and not coming back. It was particularly bad when my ma-in-law died, as she spoiled the cat and dog rotten and they adored her. In the end, I had to move her chair out the room, because I couldn't bear to see them looking for her sitting in it all the time.

All you can do is take one day at a time, and allow yourself to grieve at your own pace and in your own way.

lotti , my shoulders are not that broad but there for you should you need them

Thanks guys,

Yes it is pretty heartbreaking to see Smitch as she is. They were litter sisters and as kittens they shared a radiator bed, once they hit adolescence, they never got on. Smudge loved Smitch but everytime she went near her, Smitch would hiss at her. However, they did live in close proximity for a long time and would team up against intruding neighbourhood cats.

Thank you all so much for your kind words, it means a lot. I've never had to take a pet to be put to sleep so it's a first for me. I always expected to feel some sort of guilt like I'd sentenced them to death and some doubt about if it was the right thing but I have not even a shadow of doubt that I've done the right thing by Smudge.

She'd never have thanked me for keeping her going and she was so poorly I wasn't going to risk pushing her and her not improving.

Thank you all so much for your kind words, it means a lot. I've never had to take a pet to be put to sleep so it's a first for me. I always expected to feel some sort of guilt like I'd sentenced them to death and some doubt about if it was the right thing but I have not even a shadow of doubt that I've done the right thing by Smudge.

She'd never have thanked me for keeping her going and she was so poorly I wasn't going to risk pushing her and her not improving.

You're so right about this. It's the hardest, most painful thing we can do for our pets but often the kindest too. You *know* when it's the right time, as you clearly did. My heart goes out to you - I've just read your message from yesterday and cried.

Thanks Irene,

I still can't believe she's not coming back but if I don't think about where she is (ie. the fact she's buried in the garden) then I can think of her happily. She was always so full of life, it almost didn't feel like it was her that died because she was so poorly yesterday.

Lottie, I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been away for the weekend and only just seen this. Sending you a big hug at this difficult time. It is so hard to loose a furry friend, we do miss them terribly when they are gone.

Run free Smudge Xxxxx

Oh Lotti:(

Unfortunately we know exactly what you are going through-it's not a good week is it? There's not really much I can say apart from I am told it gets easier-and soon you'll be able to smile when you think about her quirks, just like thinking of Jeremy makes me laugh and cry at the same time! Maybe she and Jeremy are keeping each other company at the Bridge?:)

Thanks guys,

LitleMermaid - I'm sorry about Jeremy, no definitely not a good week, what with snagglepuss's ratty too.

I still miss her and am struggling to believe she's never coming back but I am beginning to be able to smile well, ok - not cry - when I think of her!

It's just as well I still have her sister too, otherwise it'd be a lot harder. Smitch wants plenty of fuss at the moment and of course the dogs keep me busy too, but the wormer I ordered for Smudge arrived today... thankfully, I'd also ordered it for Smitch so I just tried to think 'ok, ok it's for Smitch!'