Run Free my beautiful girl

Smudge went to the bridge this afternoon.

She went to the vets as she deteriorated again, it transpired that she was severely diabetic and all of her other blood results were also high. The vet reckoned there was also problems with her stomach as it felt 'rubbery'.

They explained that my free spirited outdoorsy cat would have to become an indoor cat and have twice daily injections, be fed regular at the same time and all aspects of her lifestyle would have to be routine. That wasn't Smudge, she wouldn't have liked it all and it would've all been for me. She's spent 12 years with a cat flap in the door and loved to be out climbing trees.

I made the heartbreaking decision to send her to the bridge and held her head in my hand, stroking her while she purred all the way to the end.

She made it so easy for me because she put up no resistance and purred and cuddled me.

None of us really expected her to come home and I gave her a wet food pouch as a treat before we left.

We wrapped her in her favourite throw (my bedding - but she loved it) and I brought her home. I laid her out in the bathroom where she'd been laid the last few days so that Smitch (her litter sister) could see she was gone and then Dad buried her in the garden.

I can't believe she's gone and won't be laid next to my pillow tonight but I know it was the kindest thing for her.

She was my first animal friend - she was my baby, my Smudge... I'll miss her so much but I know it was the kindest thing to do.

Run free at the bridge, Smudge and don't forget me xx

poser.jpg

2004_102727100006.jpg

DSCF1266.jpg

RIP smudge, big hugs to you lottie

Oh Lotti im so sorry, she was beautiful.

Run free at the bridge Smudge xxx

Oh lottie, she looked beautiful, big hugs to you at the difficult time :cry:

Aww lotti im very sorry to hear about that! I hope your ok xxx hug

I am so very very sorry Lottie.

Run free at the bridge Smudge RIP little girl xx

got a few tears there lottie, thats soooo sad, but i suppose we all have to sday goodbye to our best friends, my god i dread that day:(

so sorry for your loss it is the best thing to do

Thanks all,

I always thought Smudge would make it to a grand old age. 12 isn't all that impressive really.

Smudge was the most playful, lively kitten-like cat I knew even at 12 and to see her just laying around the house, not playing and not interested in going out was so sad.

This morning, Smudge and Smitch sat next to each other and just looked at each other - usually, Smitch would hiss at Smudge but she didn't, she just sat looking at her.

She was a very, very special little cat and I'll never ever forget her.

Oh honey- I'm sending you big hugs. I know how hard it can be to lose a furry soul mate.

You did the best you could for her and the line of what is fine and what is stressful is drawn in a different place for each animal.

She's not struggling any more and that's the paramount thing.

Please give Smitch a snuggle off me, if she'll let you.

Thanks Meds, Smitch is very quiet - they really didn't get on but it's definitely affected her.

I'm sure she'll take advantage of my comfy bed tonight though :) Will be strange to only have Smitch at one end of the bed though - usually have Smitch at my feet and Smudge next to my head!

I'm confident in the knowledge that Smudge's quality of life would've been worse and the vet wasn't convinced that treating the diabetes would make her better as there were other problems too.

I'm sorry she's gone lotti, it's never easy losing a friend. xxxxxxxx